back/sciatic pain...how to avoid?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

tom

back/sciatic pain...how to avoid?

Post by tom »

After a wonderful past season of smallbore 4P shooting I began to develop a severe sciatic and lower back pain. I had to drive my car with my right foot on the dashboard and use my left foot for the accelaerator until the sciatic pain diminished. Don't worry, I restricted my driving and I live in a semi-rural setting. Anyway, I was wondering if any of the brethren (or sisters) have experienced such pain and is there any magic 'warm-up' or other measure to avoid nerve injury. I remember a while back there was a vey spirited discussion here about avoiding severe back arching because it can be damaging to junior shooter's backs...which are still developing. This kind of pain/injury may fit into that line of thought. Any thoughts? Thanks
Tom
t_mcgurl-at-yahoo.com.50097.0
GaryN

Re: back/sciatic pain...how to avoid?

Post by GaryN »

GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR...NOW.
Do NOT push through a back injury, you may regret it for the rest of your life.
I have a lower back injury, and when I shoot my 10m AR I use a back belt (from Home Depot) to support my lower back. That helps a lot by supporting the lower back and limiting the amount of movement by lower back could do. I've also used the back belt sometimes when shooting my air pistol as well. Note, a back belt is not legal to use in competition, at least for AP and AR.
I also modified my AR stance to reduce the amount I twist my spine, by shooting from a slightly open stance.
As to the back arching. I tilt/rotate my hip backwards, so I don't have to arch my spine. This seems to work fine for me. In the beginning I had to practice this with my hands on my hip to see that my hip bone was properly tilted back. I don't use a shooting outfit, so I don't know if the pants would restrict this hip tilt that I use.
gud luk
Gary
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

any magic 'warm-up' or other measure to avoid nerve injury.
After consulting with your doctor to be sur eyou don't have somehting that needs to be treated medically, you should start an exercise program for your "core" muscles (see your local fitness center or phsical education teacher). Also,modifying your stance to take the twist and bakbend out will help in the long run. finally, I usually do some "weak hand" shooting in the middle of the season and at the end of the season. This helps stretch the back muscles in a different direction.

patmccoyagency-at-wyoming.com.50122.50097
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Tom,
Sciatic pain is no joke, as you well know. Recovery is slow, from a week or so to several months. That part takes time. You can get some relief with Aleve, Motrin or similar over the counter medications. If these don't help, you definitely need to consult a doctor. You also need to consider an exercise program. There are a few good books on sciatica describing exercises like stretches, half sit-ups, etc. such as "The Sciatica Relief Handbook" by Chet Cunningham.
Best of Luck,
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.50131.50097