reading the wind/mirage

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

joseph a mascetta

reading the wind/mirage

Post by joseph a mascetta »

can anybody give me some guidelines for reading wind/mirage in 50 meter rifle? i live in florida thanks
menace1526-at-aol.com.50023.0
BM

Re: reading the wind/mirage

Post by BM »

Yeah, goog topic!!!
casualwear-at-hotmail.com.50030.50023
Len_R

Post by Len_R »

You can read wind by following the mirage lines and to which direction they are moving.
This is good to about 10 MPH, if the mirage lines are moving up "boiling mirage" there is very little.

Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

: can anybody give me some guidelines for reading wind/mirage in 50 meter rifle? i live in florida thanks
Two of the best rifle shooters who have ever lived, Lones Wigger and Lanny Basham, conspired to create a CD on the subject, called Winning in the Wind...
I bought a copy in the hopes of having huge volumes of information imparted upon me.... (High Master in long range and expert in smallbore)
It seems to be more aimed at beginners, not so much at my level and from your post it sounds like you might benefit from it.
contact me off list
Poole

bill-at-poole.com.50036.50023
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

: can anybody give me some guidelines for reading wind/mirage in 50 meter rifle? i live in florida thanks
Also, do you get on the Florida Smallbore webforum?

bill-at-poole.com.50037.50023
Michèle

Wind-- a four letter word ;)

Post by Michèle »

Here's a copy of the note that I sent some of my juniors off with when they competed in their first US Team selection. It deals with wind...
Hi Guys!
I suppose you had a nice opportunity to experience for yourselves the effects of the wind on a .22 caliber bullet today.
Don’t despair.
I thought that before you went out to try your luck tomorrow, I would send you some little reminders of what to look for. You are all in such an enviable position to grow as shooters with this match experience. Play, enjoy and LEARN!
Okay, here goes:
Reminder #1: Remember that the wind does not move your bullet straight across the target. Because of the rifling in you barrel, the bullet comes out spinning. That means that you’re going to see movement that looks like a football shaped group.

If the wind is coming in from the left, the bullet will go down and right. Conversely, if it is coming in from the right, the bullet will go up and left.
What does this mean?
Reminder #2: It means that when you are compensating for the wind, you must take clicks on BOTH your elevation knob and your windage. Try to pay attention to how many clicks of elevation are needed in relation to each of your windage clicks. (for example, a 3 to 1 ratio is not uncommon)
Reminder #3: SHADING-- Since you don’t have a lot of experience practicing this, you probably want to avoid this option for now. Should you get in a time crunch, however, and feel compelled to shade, remember that you should not shade horizontally from three to nine o’clock. (see above) You should be shading either from four to ten or from five to eleven.
Which flag?
Reminder #4: Remember to pay a bit more attention to the flag closest to you. Shoot on the flag that gives you the direction as the wind comes in-- that’s the way your bullet will be traveling. Be certain to look far left and far right. Often you can see a wind change approaching.
Picking a condition:
Reminder #5: Watch the flags for about 15 minutes before it is your time to shoot. Try to pick two conditions to shoot in. Use the dominant condition to establish your zero. Keep track of how many clicks it takes to put the bullet back in the 10 ring between your 1st condition and your second condition while you’re taking sighters.
Use the little numbers on your sights to keep track of your zero for your dominant condition. For example, if you are nailing the 10-ring during your condition and your top sight knob is indexed at #2 and the side sight knob is indexed at #0, you might remember #20. Then, should you lose track of your zero as you begin chasing your shots, you will know how to get back to what had you in the middle in your original condition. Losing track of your zero will really suck, so pay attention!
Mirage
Reminder #6: To find the mirage, focus on the edge of the boxes just below the target face. If you are confused, look at the printed numbers on the target face. You should notice what looks like running water. Try to read the waves across the target face. Pick a condition. Shoot only when the mirage is going in your chosen direction. If it changes direction-- WAIT! Changes in the wind will often appear in the mirage BEFORE the flags. Mirage is MORE IMPORTANT than the flags.
Reminder #7: Last pearl of wisdom-- Don't allow yourself to get too uptight about the wind. You should be concentrating on having a good performance. Remember that a good hold is worth 3-4 clicks. That is, if you have a good center hold the wind can blow you a couple clicks on either side before it becomes a nine. If you focus on performance, even if you miss a couple wind changes, you’ll be ahead of the game with 80% of your competitors!
Well, I’m proud of you all. Hang in there and keep ‘em in the middle as best you can. Have fun, take pictures and let me know about your successes!
Love,
Michele

The following are some of the notes that my husband and I put together for the Rhode Island Smallbore Camp.

Deal with wind by moving up the ladder-
Experienced Competitor
Competitor
Shooter
RULES
1. Sight in with median conditions and know your true zero
2. Fire only in the same quadrant (avoid 12 & 6 o'clock)
3. Predict the effect before you shoot (know the elevation effects)
4. Have a plan
5. Use patience and perserverance
WIND EFFECTS

Effect on the shooter - tighten up position
Effect on the bullet - use the appropriate technique for the situation
FUNDAMENTAL KEYS TO SUCCESS
1. Shoot tight groups
2. Call your shots
WIND INDICATORS
FLAGS
TREES / BUSHES / TALL GRASS
DUST
MIRAGE
ANGLE OF RAIN
PERSONAL WIND INDICATOR
FEELING ON EXPOSED BODY PARTS
SOUNDS (NATURAL AND MAN MADE)
TECHNIQUES
SHOOT FAST (BEFORE IT CHANGES)
ESTIMATE WIND FOR EACH SHOT AND ADJUST SIGHTS ACCORDINGLY
ESTIMATE WIND OR EACH SHOT AND SHADE (HOLD OFF)
CHASE SHOTS
WAIT (FOR THE SAME CONDITION)

makpak3200-at-earthlink.net.50040.50023
JLD

Re: Wind-- a four letter word ;)

Post by JLD »

: Reminder #1: Remember that the wind does not move your bullet straight across the target. Because of the rifling in you barrel, the bullet comes out spinning. That means that you’re going to see movement that looks like a football shaped group. If the wind is coming in from the left, the bullet will go down and right. Conversely, if it is coming in from the right, the bullet will go up and left.
That's assuming what rifling twist , left or right?
jldomange-at-wanadoo.fr.50061.50040
Jake

Re: Wind-- a four letter word ;)

Post by Jake »

: : Reminder #1: Remember that the wind does not move your bullet straight across the target. Because of the rifling in you barrel, the bullet comes out spinning. That means that you’re going to see movement that looks like a football shaped group. If the wind is coming in from the left, the bullet will go down and right. Conversely, if it is coming in from the right, the bullet will go up and left.
: That's assuming what rifling twist , left or right?
That is with a right hand twist barrel. About 99.9+% of rifles use right hand twist barrels. So the advice is almost universally aceepted as gospel. A left hand twist barrel would disperse the shots from 8 o'clock in a right wind up to 2 o'clock in a left wind.
BTW, the RATE of twist makes little difference as long as the bullet is stabilized.
Curt Ingersoll

A great reference book.

Post by Curt Ingersoll »

I would recommend you go to MilCun Marksmanship Complex web site. http://www3.sympatico.ca/milcun/
Look under the What's New tab.
And take a look at Linda's book called "The Wind Book".
Linda has written many articles for Precision Shooting and publishes a good newsletter called Coach Net.
One other note - The slower a .22 caliber bullet is flying the LESS it will drift. I know this is just the opposite of all logic and what most people think, but it is true. There have a few articles about it the best one was in Shooting News in September 1998. And you wondered why Eley was putting the velocity on the end of the box?
Good Shooting, Curt Ingersoll

gunsmoke-at-toast.net.50092.50023