Morini 162EI Short vs Long: Accuracy diff?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Jeff

Morini 162EI Short vs Long: Accuracy diff?

Post by Jeff »

I'm about to buy a Morini short (I tried one and loved it in Chino, also I've been using a IZH which feels very heavy to me- especially front heavy. Hence my desire for the short.) Just had a last minute thought: the specs show the short barrel is about 80% the length of the normal Morini (190mm vs 240mm) -- does anyone know if this translates to any appreciable difference in accuracy?
jwolverton-at-yahoo.com.49988.0
Dick Poore

Re: Morini 162EI Short vs Long: Accuracy diff?

Post by Dick Poore »

Jeff -
I had a long and recently traded it in for a short brcause I liked the balance better -- there is no difference in accuracy. Both are great. It did take me a while to get use to the lighter weight of the short pistol. It's only a 2-3 ounce differnce but that does translate into more perceived movement of the front sight. Consequently, I found myself "snatching" shots for a while but eventually worked through it mentally.
Dick Poore
: I'm about to buy a Morini short (I tried one and loved it in Chino, also I've been using a IZH which feels very heavy to me- especially front heavy. Hence my desire for the short.) Just had a last minute thought: the specs show the short barrel is about 80% the length of the normal Morini (190mm vs 240mm) -- does anyone know if this translates to any appreciable difference in accuracy?

Mark Kelly

Post by Mark Kelly »

From looking at the test target (one hole 5.5mm or so)that comes with the Morini short and the scores shot at world cups by people using the Morini short i would say there is no difference better or worse in accuracy. I have seen Toz 35 barrels chopped and re-crowned to the tune of 2"-3" with no loss of accuracy. They did install an extended front sight to reclaim the sight radius. I guess the train of thought was a shorter barrel meant less time the shooter had to influence the shot. I haven't seen anyone shooting one of these toz's for a while though.

Bill G.

Post by Bill G. »

From what I have heard, and a friend who has one, they are potentially more accurate. Both the long and short shoot single hole groups in a test target.
The rationale behind the better scores is that the pellet is in the barrel for a shorter time, and thus the difference in the point of aim at trigger pull and the point of aim as the pellet leaves the barrel is reduced. Of course, this only works for those that anticipate the shot and also have poor follow through. For those that use zone aiming (holding a 9 or better) and have excellent follow through, not a problem.
Another plus is for the extreeme technical shooter. These folk try to hold a 10, and the shorter sight radius may help persuade them that they are holding better than they think.
Ok, pandora's box is now open.

tj

Post by tj »

Lets see if I get this right. You contend that a the shorter barrel is potentially more accurate because the pellet is in the barrel a shorter amount of time.
I think the standard barrel is about 9". So a pellet traveling at approximately 500fps at the muzzle will have accelerated from 0 to 500fps in 9". So being real conservative the pellet stays in the barrel .003 seconds. I think the short barrel is about 7". So the time in the barrel is about .0023 seconds. Do you really think that .0007 seconds is going to matter much?
Follow-through is more of a state of mind than a physical advantage. If your concentration remains steady, your shot will too. If you lose concentration or are not steady, your shot will be off. Has nothing to do with time in the barrel.
BTW, the sight radius is the same on both the long and short guns because the short gun has a rear sight extension and different grip to accomodate the extension.
As we have seen some people add the sight extension to their long guns also to take advantage of the longer radius.
My theory is it has more to do with the shooters preference for balance and weight.

: From what I have heard, and a friend who has one, they are potentially more accurate. Both the long and short shoot single hole groups in a test target.
: The rationale behind the better scores is that the pellet is in the barrel for a shorter time, and thus the difference in the point of aim at trigger pull and the point of aim as the pellet leaves the barrel is reduced. Of course, this only works for those that anticipate the shot and also have poor follow through. For those that use zone aiming (holding a 9 or better) and have excellent follow through, not a problem.
: Another plus is for the extreeme technical shooter. These folk try to hold a 10, and the shorter sight radius may help persuade them that they are holding better than they think.
: Ok, pandora's box is now open.

shootingsports-at-ev1.net.49998.49992
Lane

Post by Lane »

Remember when the FWB #65 went to the double spring to speed up the pellet and to improve accuracy and shorten the barrel time? Then, one of the Olympic shooters looped off a couple of inches off the barrel and won a prestigious world class event! It was all the rage. Shorter barrel and faster velocity equal less barrel time and less barrel movement to effect the pellet. Sounds good! FWB sold a lot of short barreled 65's and modified a bunch of long barreled units. Sounds good. Sorta like the question on trigger lock times and there effect on barrel time and shot placement. Who knows for sure. The top shooters in Trap shooting all shoot fast lock times and shoot patterns that run 100% to 120% high due to the riseing target and the speed of the shot getting out of the barrel sooner then a slow trigger. We are talking nano seconds. There is a good discussion on lock times on Trapshooters.com and they explain the facts better then I. But the gun makers all agree that it does effect the barrel time.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

you shoulda asked to shoot my full length Morini too while u were there...
Poole
bill-at-poole.com.50010.49988
jeff

Thanks to all for the feedback!

Post by jeff »

I think I've concluded the difference (if any) is neglible compared to the advantage in balan and feel I noticed. Thanks to all who responded.
-Jeff

: I'm about to buy a Morini short (I tried one and loved it in Chino, also I've been using a IZH which feels very heavy to me- especially front heavy. Hence my desire for the short.) Just had a last minute thought: the specs show the short barrel is about 80% the length of the normal Morini (190mm vs 240mm) -- does anyone know if this translates to any appreciable difference in accuracy?

jwolverton-at-hotmail.com.50012.49988
David M

Mass and Balance

Post by David M »

The big difference is the weight and its C of G.
The longer barrel is more forgiving than the short, the extra weight has the same effect as adding a barrel weight. It has a slower cyclic movement and is not as easily disturbed if you have any trigger errors.
The shorter barrel will correct on target a lot faster and tends to pull your 9.8's and 9.9's into the 10 ring. But it will also punish your bad shots and push them out into the 8 ring.
After shooting a long 162 for 7 years, I changed to a short(with sight extension) and my scores have improved by 3-4 points.