Joules and all that stuff

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Mark.

Joules and all that stuff

Post by Mark. »

: IF I'M WRONG ABOUT ANY OF THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I'LL APOLOGIZE PUBLICLY AND PROFUSELY ASAP!!!!!!!
Steve -
No public and profuse apology is required, even if you are eventually proven to be wrong. This is largely because the lawmakers and the law enforcers themselves don't yet know the answers. Trust me, I've been dealing with them for a while now trying to get this situation resolved and they no scarce little about the subject, certainly not enough to regulate or enforce regulations concerning airguns.
That having been said, I will point out one correction, or rather addition, which should be made to your statement. The LP10 has received dual classification. Under FRT # 107438-1 it's classified as "Restricted". Under FRT # 107438-2 it's classified as "deemed non-firearm". At the moment there is no externally-visible method of determining which FRT number applies to any given serial number of LP10. So this leaves us with the possibility that any one of us may be in possession of a "deemed non-firearm", or a "restricted" firearm. In the case of the LP10 there is some leeway for interpretation, and proof of your pistol's velocity being under 500 fps may assist in allowing some to conclude your particular LP10 is the "deemed non-firearm" variant.

Mark.

robbie

Re: Joules and all that stuff

Post by robbie »

New rules for Canadian Owners:
If I use epoxy or some other permanent method on the speed screw is it enough? Is it still a restricted firearm?
Does this mean that everyone with only an air pistol can now only shoot at a provincially recognized range? Do I now have to join a club to shoot. I don't have a PAL, do I have to get one, or can I just get a POL?
Does this mean I can no longer loan my gun to anyone?
Is it legal to discharge a restricted firearm in your living room? Can I still take it to the cottage to practice?
Sorry for all the questions.
Mark.

Post by Mark. »

If anybody knew all these answers we'd all be laughing. The problem is that not even the rule-makers know that the rules are, or more correctly, how they should be applied to real-life situations. If you ask the CFC for these answers you'll get some, but you won't like them. First we need to concentrate on whether or not your pistol is correctly classified. So far the FRT has contained some massive errors. These need to be fixed before we start lining up to register what may indeed be a non-firearm.

Mark.
tommyg

Post by tommyg »

: New rules for Canadian Owners:
: If I use epoxy or some other permanent method on the speed screw is it enough? Is it still a restricted firearm?
: Does this mean that everyone with only an air pistol can now only shoot at a provincially recognized range? Do I now have to join a club to shoot. I don't have a PAL, do I have to get one, or can I just get a POL?
: Does this mean I can no longer loan my gun to anyone?
: Is it legal to discharge a restricted firearm in your living room? Can I still take it to the cottage to practice?
: Sorry for all the questions.
Q1 No epoxy, it can be chipped off, the screw drilled out and retapped and the gun could be set to shoot at a higher velociy, If you want an idea of what permanently modified means: look at what we had to do with hi cap magazines ( how's your welding skill), or look into what is required to deactivate a firearm. This will give you some idea of what "not easily converted" means ( I forgot this must be done by a qualified gunsmith )
Q2 dicharging a restricted firearm can only take place at approved ranges, determined by the provincial/ teritorial firearms officer. you do not have to join a club, but generally the clubs own the approved ranges. There are no more POLs only PALs and to register you need one, and meet the requirements, over 18, mentlly stable, etc.
Q3 you can loan your resrticed air pistol to anyone with the proper class of license and they will have to get the proper transportation documentation. You can let a non lisenced shooter/ junior shoot your gun, as long a they are being directly supervised by a properly lisenced person.
Q4 If you have the CPFO approve your living room for air pistol use then yes you can still practice there, same for the cottage. I know an individual that has approved restricted firearm ranges on their property, the only stipulation is that the range is only approved for his personal firearms. I could go to his place and use his firearm on his approved range but I cannot take my restricted firearms there.(I wonder if the cpfo will be swamped with people seeking approval for their own living room ranges???? nudge nudge wink wink)
Hope this helps
Tom