Naked TOZ (Oh Dear!)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K38

Naked TOZ (Oh Dear!)

Post by K38 »

Is there anything particular problematic or wrong with removing the fore end of a TOZ 35M with just an aluminum or wooden spacer and shooting it with everything just hanging out in the breeze? I have been using an aluminum TOZ Balance but I took it off any this seems a bit of a revelation. I do have a nice Rink wooden fore end that I could saw off short as well. It seems like every gram I can save out at the end of my arm is a good thing.

Thanks,

DLB
LukeP

Re: Naked TOZ (Oh Dear!)

Post by LukeP »

Short answer: no. It's just a big wooden spacer.
K38

Post by K38 »

Well I chopped off the Rink fore end and shaped it a bit. I weighed it on my good scale that makes me look like an extra from Breaking Bad and it comes out as 28 grams. So right at about an ounce. It does cover some stuff up and I think I could make it a bit lighter. (The scale is really for weighing violin and viola bows in real life I’m a musician and instrument collector) I saw a fellow shooting a TOZ in a World Cup final with a bobbed off fore end so I just kind of copied that. (Old video)

DLB
Rover

Post by Rover »

There's a whole bunch of stuff on here about reworking a TOZ. Do a search.

I threw away the butt ugly wood fore-arm, sawed off a piece of .223 brass and used that instead.

UGLY? Yes, but I think anyone shooting a TOZ doesn't give a damn about esthetics anyway.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

tunetoz.jpg
tunetoz.jpg (29.47 KiB) Viewed 733 times
K38

Post by K38 »

The Rink fore end is quite plain since I sawed it off short . Sort of boxy. I do have some friends that are rather talented violin makers. Maybe they could jazz it up with a bit of carving. Some nice oak leaves or something might be nice or a fist full of lightning bolts. Who knows?

DLB
Rover

Post by Rover »

Shooterer wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:42 amtunetoz.jpg
Perzackly!!!

I also made springs out of small paper clips that work better than the originals.
K38

Post by K38 »

I still haven’t figured out how to post a picture. I’ll get it straightened out and post one of the fore end.

DLB
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There are a couples ways to add pictures. You need to use the full editor.

If you have the photo parked on-line somewhere, you can use the "insert image" button above the text entry box.

If the photo is on your computer, go down below the text entry box & click on the "Attachments" tab. Click on "Add files", and it will allow you to upload the images. You then have the option of adding them "inline" with your text (wherever your cursor is located), or you can leave it so they get attached at the end of your message. That's generally better for attaching files other than pictures (like PDF's).
K38

Post by K38 »

I guess my major problem is that the files on my phone are too big. When I send the file to someone it gives me options as to how large a file to send but not when I want to post a picture. Sorry for my general computer confusion.

DLB
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Can you send a photo to yourself & make it smaller? Then you could post it.
K38

Post by K38 »

IMG_0445.jpeg
I think this worked.

DLB

Light weight (approximately 24 gram fore end)
K38

Post by K38 »

Gwhite

Your idea worked perfectly. Sorry to be so damn stupid.

DLB