Cheating at ISSF Olympic Qualification Championship 2024

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GolfShot

Cheating at ISSF Olympic Qualification Championship 2024

Post by GolfShot »

Was recently watching the ISSF Olympic Qualification Championship 2024 (Rio De Janeiro) and noticed these two blantant examples of cheating.

Aleski Leppa has an oversized kurt thune sweater which is bunching up at the wrist to aid in the standing position. It also appears that the reinforcement on his sling arm is oversized.

Rifle Rules
On the arm which holds the
sling, the reinforcement may extend from the upper arm to a point 100 mm
from the end of the sleeve.

7.5.7.2 Only normal personal undergarments and/or training clothing that does
not immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the athlete’s legs, body
or arms may be worn under the shooting jacket and/or trousers. Any other
undergarments are prohibited.

Chiara Leone is wearing an Whoop device on her wrist (electronic sports monitoring device).

General Technical Rules
Mobile phones or other hand-held communication devices (i.e. tablets, etc.),
electronic devices or wrist-worn devices (i.e. smart watches) may not be used
by athletes on the firing line.

Please see attached images for reference.
Attachments
Chiara Leone 01.jpg
Aleski Leppa 04.jpg
Aleski Leppa 03.jpg
Aleski Leppa 02.jpg
Aleski Leppa 01.jpg
bdutton

Re: Cheating at ISSF Olympic Qualification Championship 2024

Post by bdutton »

Regarding the wrist worn device rule. The rule states first:

"Mobile phones or other hand-held communication devices"

The key point here is hand held communication devices... "may not be used"

Then gives examples of the types of devices... "(i.e. tablets, etc.),
electronic devices or wrist-worn devices (i.e. smart watches)"

Seems to me it is explicitly prohibiting communication devices. If the wrist worn device is not capable of communications its ok to wear. IMO.

No opinion either way on the bunched up sweater.
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

bdutton wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:16 am
Seems to me it is explicitly prohibiting communication devices. If the wrist worn device is not capable of communications its ok to wear. IMO.
Whoop communicates via Blutooth.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Cheating, to me at least,is a very loaded word, and implies intent. Do you have any proof that Chiara Leone actually communicated with her coach, or even intended to do so, rather than just not removing her her watch? Practically would she be able to communicate with it while shooting? If you can't labelling this as cheating seems very close to defamation.

Could both these infractions not have been sorted by range officials pointing out potential offences?
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Tim S wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:28 pm Cheating, to me at least,is a very loaded word, and implies intent. Do you have any proof that Chiara Leone actually communicated with her coach, or even intended to do so, rather than just not removing her her watch? Practically would she be able to communicate with it while shooting? If you can't labelling this as cheating seems very close to defamation.

Could both these infractions not have been sorted by range officials pointing out potential offences?
Defamation is laughable. The rules clearly state you cannot wear an electronic device. She is wearing an Whoop which is an electronic device that communicates via blutooth.

Ofcourse the range officials should of sorted this but as history shows they routinly let infractions slide.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

GolfShot wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:16 pm Defamation is laughable. The rules clearly state you cannot wear an electronic device. She is wearing an Whoop which is an electronic device that communicates via blutooth.
You've proven Leone broke a rule, but can you prove she cheated? Without proof she gained an advantage, or intended to, your remarks could be seen as libel under British law.

Have you sent your thoughts to the ISSF, the people who can do something about this? Based on your previous exposes of "cheating" this forum doesn't seem so focussed on pettifogging.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Do gloves have to meet the stiffness standard of 7.5.2.2? If so, how is it measured? Gloves are mentioned as clothing under 7.5.1.1 and it states that the material must be flexible so I assume that it must meet the stiffness test. I doubt the plastic like material most shooters have on the back of their gloves would pass. (see 4th picture). The reinforcement on the sleeve (same picture) is clearly less than 10cm (4 inches) from the end of the sleeve (7.5.4.8.b)
Last edited by PaulB on Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hopper

Post by Hopper »

Bit of a long shot on the Whoop. Slight difference between a communication device and a device that communicates. Seeing as the communication on the whoop is also only one direction.
Believe that on this point it also doesnt break the the spirit or intent of the rule.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

I thought I remembered someone posting about "cheating" a few years ago and it was you in 2021,about cheating in Tokyo and in New Delhi. Do you have a hard on for the rules or something? You one of those people that goes to the rules as soon as to complain when anyone beats you and it happens often to people like you. Either complain to the correct governing body or go away
j-team

Post by j-team »

Thauglor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 pm Either complain to the correct governing body or go away
So, is there a list of rules that are OK to ignore? Just asking...
GolfShot

Post by GolfShot »

Thauglor wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 pm I thought I remembered someone posting about "cheating" a few years ago and it was you in 2021,about cheating in Tokyo and in New Delhi. Do you have a hard on for the rules or something? You one of those people that goes to the rules as soon as to complain when anyone beats you and it happens often to people like you. Either complain to the correct governing body or go away
Who watches the Watchmen?