range mishap....

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

tom

range mishap....

Post by tom »

The other day I was visiting a local indoor range for our weekly 4P smallbore match. I noticed a little hole in the oak floor of the clubhouse which is directly over the firing line...the range is in the basement. Upon inquiry I found out that the week before a shooter had an accidental discharge. As best I can understand it he was in the kneeling position and as some folks are inclined to do, he inserted a round in the chamber (mistake #1-muzzle not pointed downrange when loading the gun), then he closed the bolt (mistake #2-closing the bolt, muzzle not pointed downrange), then the "accident"...This is not clear to me yet, did he release the trigger or did a too light sear get jarred as he handled the gun out of position? In any event, some guns, particularly single stage triggers, have very little sear to overcome(if true, this would be mistake #3-either a poorly adjusted single stage trigger or finger on the trigger before being ready to shoot). If it was the trigger, the result is that it takes very little to move the trigger and release the shot...This is a very good argument for using a two stage trigger as it is inherently safer. Of course, a well maintained and properly adjusted single stage trigger should not be a problem but this incident is worth taking note of on all 3 counts. Happily no one was standing where that shot came up but there were people in the area and it could have been "another shooting disaster" for the anti-gun media to feast upon if someone had been shot in the foot. Let's all learn from this and those of us that conduct matches should exercise good range discipline as we watch shooters on the line.
t_mcgurl-at-yahoo.com.49725.0
Len

Re: range mishap....

Post by Len »

A two stage trigger is just as prone to mecahnical failure or misuse when one does not follow basic gun safety rules. Following this logic, a safety on the gun would have made a difference, which of course it wouldn't have.
The issue here is that the person did not follow the three basic rules of firearms safety. If they had, this would be a non starter. They use the word ALWAYS for a reason.

pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I agree with Len- the thing was pointed in the wrong direction while loaded that is the issue.
Another issue is that it seems to me you have a flawed range design. Effectively the people above are in front of the firing line or at least much closer to the firing line than they probably realize. I think in that situation there should be something installed above the firing line that would prevent bullets from going through the floor above.
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.49730.49728
Michael Ray

Post by Michael Ray »

: Upon inquiry I found out that the week before a shooter had an accidental discharge. As best I can understand it he was in the kneeling position and as some folks are inclined to do, he inserted a round in the chamber (mistake #1-muzzle not pointed downrange when loading the gun), then he closed the bolt (mistake #2-closing the bolt, muzzle not pointed downrange), then the "accident"...This is not clear to me yet, did he release the trigger or did a too light sear get jarred as he handled the gun out of position?
Most likely he hit the trigger with his fingers as he closed the bolt. I've seen that happen many times in all positions. My experience with Anschutz is that they will not slip the sear just once if jarred.
As someone who has short arms and must drop the rifle down to load it, there's no real practical way for me to point it at the trap and still be able to load easily. Same with prone. I don't point mine straight up but about 50 degrees I'd say. Maybe 30 in prone.
I teach my athletes to close the bolt with an open palm for just that reason. If the fingers are wrapped around the handle, it's too easy to accidentally knock the trigger.
jim

Post by jim »

: Another issue is that it seems to me you have a flawed range design. Effectively the people above are in front of the firing line or at least much closer to the firing line than they probably realize. I think in that situation there should be something installed above the firing line that would prevent bullets from going through the floor above. AGREED! RANGE DESIGN MUST ACCOUNT FOR AN ERRANT SHOT, NOT AS AN EXCUSE FOR POOR GUN HANDLING, BUT AS A COMMON SENSE PRECAUTION.

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.49788.49730
Alexey

Post by Alexey »

: The other day I was visiting a local indoor range for our weekly 4P smallbore match. I noticed a little hole in the oak floor of the clubhouse which is directly over the firing line...the range is in the basement.
IMO, there is no problem at all. It's a negligent discharge all right, but it is the downrange side of the firing line. Everything you put beyond the firing line without malice aforethought is a downrange shot. It's well beyond any misdemeanor. It's just a bit of incompetence to be punished by the coach as he seems fit. In my sad experience, it's a certain stage in the development of the young talents which is really dangerous (I used to know a boy who later became an Olympic champion who escaped becoming a murderer by a piece of an unbelievable good luck)... But such accidents (sometimes lethal, I hate to say) always happened outside the range...
Best regards, Alexey
alexey931-at-list.ru.49942.49725