advice sought: IZH 46M malfunction FIXED

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Oldnslow

advice sought: IZH 46M malfunction FIXED

Post by Oldnslow »

IMG_0124.jpg
Gentlemen: The IZH 46M that has served me faithfully for several years has just developed a problem.

I have attempted to illustrate the problem in the attached photo: the small triangular unit with two o-rings that transfers air from the compression cylinder to the barrel still fits flush in its accustomed place. However, something is preventing the latching mechanism directly above it from closing sufficiently enough to lock it in place.

In the photo I hope I have attached, I am pressing down on the latching mechanism and it is resisting any further downward movement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is the only air pistol I have and I don't want to suffer withdrawal symptoms

Thanks!

PS Please ignore the incision on my finger, I suffered it this evening in a wrestling match with a turkey.
Last edited by Oldnslow on Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwhite

Re: advice sought: IZH 46M malfunction

Post by Gwhite »

I'd take the grip off and see if anything comes to light. Is it possible a pellet fell down inside? When the students I help coach shot IZH's, a lot of weird failures were caused by pellets down in the trigger system.
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

Thanks for the reply, Gwhite.

I removed the grip...I don't see a pellet or anything obviously amiss.

But something is preventing the latching mechanism from descending far enough to lock.

In the photo below I am pointing with a thin awl to a flat rectangular piece on the left side which may be preventing the latching mechanism from closing completely.

Does anyone know what its purpose is, and whether it appears to be correctly positioned?

I am reluctant to undertake exploratory surgery...

thanks
IMG_0126.jpg
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Oldnslow wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm IMG_0124.jpg

Gentlemen: The IZH 46M that has served me faithfully for several years has just developed a problem.

I have attempted to illustrate the problem in the attached photo: the small triangular unit with two o-rings that transfers air from the compression cylinder to the barrel still fits flush in its accustomed place. However, something is preventing the latching mechanism directly above it from closing sufficiently enough to lock it in place.

In the photo I hope I have attached, I am pressing down on the latching mechanism and it is resisting any further downward movement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is the only air pistol I have and I don't want to suffer withdrawal symptoms

Thanks!

PS Please ignore the incision on my finger, I suffered it this evening in a wrestling match with a turkey.
It appears from the photo that the triangular unit is down in its proper position, but that the o ring seal isn't compressed yet by latching. The piece on the barrel is, IIRC from an Izzy that I once owned, supposed to move forward to allow the triangular piece to slide under the lip of the barrel piece. Is the latching tange piece on the barrel stuck and not moving forward correctly to allow latching?
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Oldnslow

Post by Oldnslow »

Thanks for the reply, B Lafferty
Unfortunately, the piece on the barrel that you describe is not the problem. It moves forward enough to allow room for the latching mechanism to descend past the top of it. But something is preventing the lip of the latching mechanism from descending far enough to slot into the notch.
Oldnslow

Re: advice sought: IZH 46M malfunction FIXED

Post by Oldnslow »

I found the problem.
There is a small spring (#59) that sits in a recess in the hinge between the top of the triangular air transport piece (#58) and the bottom of the latching mechanism (#57). This spring had broken apart and the pieces were jammed in the apex of the hinge. I picked the pieces out, and the pistol will now cock and fire! Unless I am missing something, the small spring does not serve any essential purpose, it merely keeps the two parts from rattling together when the pistol is not cocked.
PeeWeeDaddy

Re: advice sought: IZH 46M malfunction FIXED

Post by PeeWeeDaddy »

Good job.
Thanks for the information.
"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement."