intro and TOZ 35m

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Daniel MacCabe

intro and TOZ 35m

Post by Daniel MacCabe »

Everyone,
I'm new to this board, although I've read a lot of what you have to say about free pistols and my standard pistol. I am a member of the Oregon state university, and Naval ROTC pistol teams. I was very pleased to see your intelligent and balanced assessment of standard pistol types, your information strongly influenced my purchase of an IZH 35m.
I have started to shoot free pistol competitively with the University team with one of their Hammerlii 150 free pistols, and I like the gun, but I have to share it, therefore I'm shopping for my own. I have been reading good things about the TOZ 35m, does anyone know how it stacks up against a 150? Also, where do I go to purchase a TOZ free pistol? None of my local gun shops have any idea what they are. I would really like to find a used TOZ if possible.
Thanks for all your valuable information!
Daniel MacCabe

maccabed-at-onid.orst.edu.48693.0
elmer

Re: intro and TOZ 35m

Post by elmer »

u might want to visit pilkguns.com. they do have the toz free pistol. i've shot the hammerli 150 for quite some time and i didn't have a problem with its performance. any free pistol in the market would perform the way they should. i guess once you buy one, u should start focusing more on how to shoot well. free pistol shooting is the tough event to shoot. have fun
Paul Benneche

Post by Paul Benneche »

Do a word search on the entire Target talk message list for "toz" and you will find a lot of good information.
peb-at-virginia.edu.48698.48693
Mark

Post by Mark »

Don Nygord at www.nygord-precision.com probably has the best new price on them, especially if you factor in the Rink grips he includes. You might want to hurry, since I think he's planning on raising prices. As far as comparing the Toz to the Hammerli 150, I think it'll come down to personal preference. I've played with the 160, and thought it was pretty nice. I chose the Toz I got over the 160 mainly because I got a used one at a great deal.
: Everyone,
: I'm new to this board, although I've read a lot of what you have to say about free pistols and my standard pistol. I am a member of the Oregon state university, and Naval ROTC pistol teams. I was very pleased to see your intelligent and balanced assessment of standard pistol types, your information strongly influenced my purchase of an IZH 35m.
: I have started to shoot free pistol competitively with the University team with one of their Hammerlii 150 free pistols, and I like the gun, but I have to share it, therefore I'm shopping for my own. I have been reading good things about the TOZ 35m, does anyone know how it stacks up against a 150? Also, where do I go to purchase a TOZ free pistol? None of my local gun shops have any idea what they are. I would really like to find a used TOZ if possible.
: Thanks for all your valuable information!
: Daniel MacCabe

Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

Don Nygord was an OSU student back in the old days.
In past years I have shot free pistol at the OSU ROTC range on Friday nights. I was the only free pistol shooter there, the rest of the guys were three position rifle.
Are you shooting at the range on a regular basis? Let me know when. I might get myself fee to come over. I live in Jefferson.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hi Daniel,
Glad to hear you're getting into free pistol. Both guns are fine shooters and classics of the sport. No bad choice here. Shoot them both before parting with your dough, if possible. I'm partial to Hammerli, but that's only my opinion. I shoot a 152, the electronic version of the 150. If you can, look at some of the new FPs like the Morini and the various Pardinis.
Others have wisely advised just focusing on shooting once you've made your choice. To this I add, try or handle as many as you can first. If you choose something you're not comfortable with, it will nag at you, undermine confidence, etc. All these FPs will outshoot any normal human's holding ability.
Happy Shooting,
Jim

james.buckland-at-converse.edu.48714.48693
JLK

Post by JLK »

Daniel,
Talk to Warren at Pilkington.
They occasionally import new ones.
I bought my Toz from them and was very satisfied.
To me grip fit is the most critical part of the free pistol equation. I have lost a bunch of weight over the past 6 months and all my grips are driving me crazy. Seton Thomas (sp?) has been a big help giving me advice on how to straighten out my grip problems. He will answer your emails and every bit of advice he has given me has worked!
Just my opinion.
JLK
Daniel MacCabe

Post by Daniel MacCabe »

: Don Nygord was an OSU student back in the old days.
I have been in contact with Don just yesterday. He has been very helpful.
: In past years I have shot free pistol at the OSU ROTC range on Friday nights. I was the only free pistol shooter there, the rest of the guys were three position rifle.
I've been meaning to crash the rifle shooting times, I dont't get to practice as much as I would like.
: Are you shooting at the range on a regular basis? Let me know when. I might get myself fee to come over. I live in Jefferson.
I am at the range as often as possible, which at the moment is Sun and Tue 1800-2100 (pistol club time), Friday 1700-1900 (Pistol Team practice), and Wed and Thu 0600-0730 (ROTC practice). I also go shoot at the Lebanon range on weekends or when I'm bored. IL'd like to get more time, I don't think the rifle guys will suffer a standard pistol amongst them, but I have a feeling they would put up with a free pistol shooter.
nice to meet you!
Dan
maccabed-at-onid.orst.edu.48723.48711
Bob LeDoux

Post by Bob LeDoux »

In the winter of 2001 there was a rotational set of meets at Portland Rifle and Pistol Club, OSU, and the club in Eugene. Not much has happened recently because of lack of interest.
John Simpkins, staff at OSU Oceanagraphy shoots Standard. Portland Rifle and Pistol Club had Chris Alto, Kirk Rasmussen, Lee Jensen, among others.

Someone in Portland is trying to sell a Walther Electronic free pistol. Stay away from it.