watching the 8s instead of trying to remember the 10s

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Houngan

watching the 8s instead of trying to remember the 10s

Post by Houngan »

I've been off and on for fifteen years, and right now I'm definitely back on trying to figure this thing out. I can generally shoot 540+ but never 555+. My main thought right now is that 90% is trigger release, if you can actually pull the trigger without disturbing the sights, it's kinda hard to shoot worse than a 9. Flip side, if my attention wanders at all and I lose focus on the sights then 7s are in the picture.

Is it a good idea to stop trying to remember the 10s, because generally when I shoot them I think, "Oh, that's a ten all day." and instead figure out where the 8s are coming from? Particularly the 8s I didn't see, right now for me it seems all about where my brain is when the shot breaks. If it's in my hand then the trigger breaks clean, if it gets in the trigger then the trigger goes or my wrist twitches. I've also noticed that my eye is always a fraction of a second behind my brain, i.e. I hear the shot and realize that the motion .25 before I registered it was the motion that happened, rather than what my eye and brain told me happened.
CR10X

Re: watching the 8s instead of trying to remember the 10s

Post by CR10X »

Remember everything about the process and what you saw for the 10's and don't pay any attention to the 8"s.

You already answered your question about the cause. "... (whatever) I didn't see."

Sometimes one gets so caught up in trying to see the best sight picture they start to, I guess the best terms may be, try to "visually capture that perfect sight" alignment / picture. That, for me lead to simply "framing" what I saw like a picture and reduced the ability see the entire process more sequentially / as it was developing.

So, don't try to see the best sight alignment or sight picture as part of your process. Try to see the movement as movie, not a series of still frame views that you try to consciously process. Try to see the whole movement and pattern of wobble as it develops, getting smaller, then larger and work on your shot process to complete it as the wobble pattern is getting smaller. Kinda think of each shot process as a little movie so to can concentrate on seeing rather than identifying or picking it apart.

CR