Best powder thrower for .32

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Julie Sanders

Best powder thrower for .32

Post by Julie Sanders »

Hi,
I need to get a good powder thrower for 1.5grains (+ -) of WIN231

Can I have some recommendations please?
fc60

Re: Best powder thrower for .32

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Have a look at the Redding Competition 10X model with the Pistol Insert.

I have one and it is remarkably repeatable with the small (under 2.0 grain) charges.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/onlin ... er-measure

Cheers,

Dave
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Hi Julie,

I shoot .32SWL and spent some time researching the market for a thrower capable of accurately throwing very small charges. I settled on the Redding Match Grade 3BR (Bench Rest) thrower (no. 03700) with the Pistol Micrometer Unit fitted - good for 0.5 to 10gn loads. Not the cheapest on the market by any means - approx. US$250 + p&p. It comes with both pistol and rifle micrometer units.

At that time, I was using Bullseye powder (1.4-1.6gn) but found that flake powder could get between the rotor and the housing and gradually stiffen up the action. Meant fairly frequent disassembly to clean out.

You're planning to throw WIN231. This is a ball powder so I don’t think you would have the same issue as I did with the flake.

I ended up with a Dillon RL550B and fitted an after market powder bar with replaceable inserts which serves me better so don’t use the Redding thrower much now.

I see that Dave has beaten me to it! Looks like the 10X might be the go.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Black_Talon

Post by Black_Talon »

Another vote for the Redding 10X. It's great for small charges. I've been using mine for 40+ years now. Have tried others here and there, but keep coming back to the 10X. Only one that's even close is the RCBS Little Dandy, but you're restricted to fixed size drums, unless you customize one.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've used a couple of the pistol powder units. Since you're just throwing one or two charge weights, it's easy to lock them in. I would put a drop of two of melted wax (candle) in the bottom of the "drum." You can then precisely set the charge thrown by taking out a bit of wax at a time with a drill bit.

For the small charges you're using for a .32, you need a fine ball powder for utmost accuracy of the charge. 231 is a "flattened" ball powder, not really suitable for your purpose.

Have fun!
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

I've had good success with the Hornady LNL Powder Drop (#050069) with the pistol micrometer (#050128). The micrometer is very easy to install, adjust, and easily meters from 0.5 to 17 gn. (can be used with .32 to .44 mag for most fast burning powders)

For .32 S&W Long I normally use a slightly lighter version of the Alliant Bullseye recipe: 1.5 gn AB behind a 90 gn. HBWC (.313) and have chrono data at about 700 fps. I use a very light taper crimp, and a COAL of .925 +.005/-.000 seems to reliably chamber in the Benelli.

Lots of good information in this thread about reloading .32: viewtopic.php?t=39661

Good luck !
stephen_maly

Post by stephen_maly »

I used an RCBS Little Dandy powder measure. There is no rotor made specifically for such a charge at the factory, so I obtained a blank rotor, and a friend with a milling machine drill a hole of appropriate width and depth. I think this was the least expensive procedure. I was only shooting .32 S&W longs, so a variable charge wasn't a requirement.
robjob

Post by robjob »

For a dillion... this is the cats meow...

https://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1267
Julie Sanders

Post by Julie Sanders »

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated everyone :)
mister G

Post by mister G »

My 2 cents … Been using an unmolested 550c for decades with standard Dillon
powder thrower AND the EXTRA SMALL POWDER SLIDE p/n 20780, tossing Winchester 231 under SWAGED 98 gr. lead BBWC or HBWC. SPEER (if I can find ‘em), Magnus or Bear Creek Supply.
mister G

Post by mister G »

Almost forgot … Bullet
Seating and slight roll crimp at Station #3 OR Redfield Special Taper Crimp at Station #4. Depends on the gun I’m loading for.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Is 231 a good powder for .32? I've had no joy from it.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If you can find it VVN310 works very well.