Using Club pellets?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: Using Club pellets?

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:54 am I've lost count of the number of panicked students who've come to me after putting pellets in backwards. Except in a match, I tell them to just shoot them. They are usually amazed that they shoot quite well.
From the confidence point of view I have always advocated carrying a knitting needle to clear a pellet (under the supervision of an RO).

If you use a strong enough safety line the that might also be strong enough.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David Levene wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:15 am
Gwhite wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:54 am I've lost count of the number of panicked students who've come to me after putting pellets in backwards. Except in a match, I tell them to just shoot them. They are usually amazed that they shoot quite well.
From the confidence point of view I have always advocated carrying a knitting needle to clear a pellet (under the supervision of an RO).

If you use a strong enough safety line the that might also be strong enough.
We keep thin wooden dowels handy for such occasions, although the safety cords will usually do it. The pellets have usually fallen just far enough into the barrel to be difficult to fish out, but not far enough in that they are jammed in the rifling.
DWood

Post by DWood »

I just received my order of RWS Basics from Neal. Great guy. Great prices. He just got a shipment in, if anyone was waiting to order. I ordered the RWS Basics after they were highly suggested here. They shoot just as well as any other pellet I’ve put through the pistol so far and I doubt I could tell a difference anyway.

It’s interesting to read everyone’s experience with different pellets. I’ve have a handful of different tins I’ve tried so far and the worst I’ve come across was a tin of R10 pellets. Lots of deformed pellets in the tin. This makes more sense after reading through this thread. That tin was bought through Amazon and shipped to me in a box with minimal protection. Seems to me that shipping plays a huge part in the quality of your pellets when you receive them. I still shot most of the deformed pellets, but it sure is a bummer when your fancy R10 have a high number of deformed pellets in the tin.

I could really appreciate Vogel’s packaging with foam on all sides of the tin. If I didn’t have a couple years supply of pellets, I’d give Vogel a try.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

DWood wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm I just received my order of RWS Basics from Neal. Great guy. Great prices. He just got a shipment in, if anyone was waiting to order. I ordered the RWS Basics after they were highly suggested here. They shoot just as well as any other pellet I’ve put through the pistol so far and I doubt I could tell a difference anyway.

It’s interesting to read everyone’s experience with different pellets. I’ve have a handful of different tins I’ve tried so far and the worst I’ve come across was a tin of R10 pellets. Lots of deformed pellets in the tin. This makes more sense after reading through this thread. That tin was bought through Amazon and shipped to me in a box with minimal protection. Seems to me that shipping plays a huge part in the quality of your pellets when you receive them. I still shot most of the deformed pellets, but it sure is a bummer when your fancy R10 have a high number of deformed pellets in the tin.

I could really appreciate Vogel’s packaging with foam on all sides of the tin. If I didn’t have a couple years supply of pellets, I’d give Vogel a try.
Pyramid Air also packs tins well in foam. Buy four tins and get one (the least expensive one) free. Shipping is also reasonable. I'be been planning on trying the Vogel pellets. Has anyone tried the bulk pellets, 6K per package for $60?
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

The "tub" is a good price. I've not tried the Vogel's, but they have a good reputation on TT.

Pyramid Air doesn't sell them, though.
spektr

Post by spektr »

The Vogel pellet tubs are a good deal when they have them..... If you shoot Vogels in pcp guns,the greens are the way to go. For some reason my SSP guns love Vogels Orange practice pellets. They measure thinner in the skirts and seem to use the SSPs limited air better
Last edited by spektr on Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

The cost, not including shipping, is $0.01 per pellet. The cost of H&N Sport via Pyramid Air, not including shipping, is $0.015.
I may try the tub towards the end of the year when I run low on the H&Ns that I have. Stay tuned.......not that the difference will be noticeable with my declining abilities.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

@gwhite, shooters from your trade school that send projectile to Saturn, how are they progressing from first, second year……to graduation. What scores do they usually start with, and end up with ?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Students have to shoot 500 or better in a match to get upgraded from an Hammerli AP20 to (typically) a Hammerli 480K converted to use AP40 cylinders. The second time they break 500, they get to start shooting .22's. A few don't manage that until they've shot for a couple years. Some do it on their 2nd match. Once they start shooting air pistol scores around 530 or so, we consider upgrading them to a Morini, Benelli or a Steyr. Good collegiate shooters with several years experience probably average around 540-550, with exceptional ones shooting 560 & up.

Here's a link to the 2018 Collegiate National Championship results. For some reason the link to 2019 is busted, 2020 was canceled, and this year many teams didn't have much chance to practice beforehand (if they could shoot at all).
2018-Col-Pistol-Champ-Open-Air.zip
(20.11 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
DWood

Post by DWood »

Gwhite wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm Students have to shoot 500 or better in a match to get upgraded from an Hammerli AP20 to (typically) a Hammerli 480K converted to use AP40 cylinders. The second time they break 500, they get to start shooting .22's. A few don't manage that until they've shot for a couple years. Some do it on their 2nd match. Once they start shooting air pistol scores around 530 or so, we consider upgrading them to a Morini, Benelli or a Steyr. Good collegiate shooters with several years experience probably average around 540-550, with exceptional ones shooting 560 & up.

Here's a link to the 2018 Collegiate National Championship results. For some reason the link to 2019 is busted, 2020 was canceled, and this year many teams didn't have much chance to practice beforehand (if they could shoot at all).

2018-Col-Pistol-Champ-Open-Air.zip

I should have gone to college and shot on the pistol team…
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Shooting well when in college isn't easy. You have a lot of demands on your time & concentration. There's also quite a range of how demanding the various schools are. I recall hearing that Ohio State students practice 20 hours a week. My students are lucky to get 4 hours.

Personally, I found that my scores went up considerably after I graduated and started sleeping & eating better...
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:32 pm I recall hearing that Ohio State students practice 20 hours a week.
My students are lucky to get 4 hours.
4 hours / week of team practice is where we are starting now.
I am trying to fortify that training with team MantisX's that we have available to loan out and match experience at a "local" club that is 2-hours away 2x / month.
It is very difficult for students to maintain motivation outside a team practice environment but it is where we are starting off.