No budget constraints

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Re: No budget constraints

Post by Rover »

kevinweiho wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm
william wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 pmDoes it matter more or less than a 200 microsecond difference in barrel time?
If you’re one of the big dogs and you’re head to head for first and second place in the finals of the olympic games, then yes, a 200 microsecond difference in barrel time can cost you a decimal point, leaving you to take home the silver instead of gold…
Well then, I guess it just doesn't matter on THIS site.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

kevinweiho wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm
william wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 pmDoes it matter more or less than a 200 microsecond difference in barrel time?
If you’re one of the big dogs and you’re head to head for first and second place in the finals of the olympic games, then yes, a 200 microsecond difference in barrel time can cost you a decimal point, leaving you to take home the silver instead of gold…
If that were true in any statistically relevant way, wouldn’t all top shooters shoot with short version guns?
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

Look at the big head on Jon, using all that logic 'n stuff. ;^)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Rover wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pmWell then, I guess it just doesn't matter on THIS site.
THIS particular section on the site is "Olympic Pistol"..?? Many of us are no-names in the shooting world, but there are always possiblities that one of us members in the forum WILL become a big dog...
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

kevinweiho wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:30 pm
Rover wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pmWell then, I guess it just doesn't matter on THIS site.
THIS particular section on the site is "Olympic Pistol"..?? Many of us are no-names in the shooting world, but there are always possiblities that one of us members in the forum WILL become a big dog...
Rover: "Well then, I guess it just doesn't matter on THIS site."
Summerized: It may not matter for eventual trolls. For the rest of the "bunch of" forum users it may matter. :-)
william

Post by william »

UN Ambassador Adlai Stevenson challenged Soviet Ambassador Zorin to give a straight reply about the missiles in Cuba. He was "prepared to wait for [his] answer until hell freezes over...." Stevenson is long dead, and hell hasn't frozen over.

Well, I'm still alive; and I'm "prepared to wait... until hell freezes over," for somebody to explain the significance of 200 microseconds in any meaningful context. Here's some help: Saying it is so doesn't make it so. Nor does claiming that I merely fail to understand the obvious.

And since somebody had asked for some art by Michelangelo, I feel obliged to honor the request.
creation-of-adam-michelangelo-weston-westmoreland.jpg
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Thanks for this well formulated post. And thanks for honouring the request about Michelangelo.No sarkasme from me there :-)
I slowly learn to appreciate your way of humour. Maybe it was just misunderstandings/misinterpretations from the very beginning...
Friends?
Best regards, Northpaw.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

northpaw wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:08 pm
kevinweiho wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:30 pm
Rover wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pmthat one of us members in the forum WILL become a big dog...
I thought we were all middle aged nerds/loners :)
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

northpaw wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:25 pm Thanks for this well formulated post. And thanks for honouring the request about Michelangelo.No sarkasme from me there :-)
I slowly learn to appreciate your way of humour. Maybe it was just misunderstandings/misinterpretations from the very beginning...
Friends?
Best regards, Northpaw.
👏🏽👏🏽
6string

Post by 6string »

If there are no budget constraints, then just go ahead and get all of them!
Try them out, keep the one best for you, and sell the rest. I'm serious!
Luckily for me, 20 yrs ago my club already had "all of them", so I had the pleasure of trying them all. You'll more than what anybody can tell you about their pet air pistol, as nice as it may be (for them).
And, if you're using compressed air, buy an expensive air compressor rather than a hand pump or scuba tank.

Also, if there's no budget constraints, once you've got the pistol out of the way spend some money on tons of basic pellets, targets, etc. If shooting at home, build a custom range set up to your tastes. Maybe you want electronic scoring? Maybe you want an electronic training system like RIKA or SCATT or whatever people are using?
Or, just shoot, shoot, shoot....!
william

Post by william »

6string wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:36 pm If there are no budget constraints, then just go ahead and get all of them!
Try them out, keep the one best for you, and sell the rest. I'm serious!
Luckily for me, 20 yrs ago my club already had "all of them", so I had the pleasure of trying them all. You'll more than what anybody can tell you about their pet air pistol, as nice as it may be (for them).
And, if you're using compressed air, buy an expensive air compressor rather than a hand pump or scuba tank.

Also, if there's no budget constraints, once you've got the pistol out of the way spend some money on tons of basic pellets, targets, etc. If shooting at home, build a custom range set up to your tastes. Maybe you want electronic scoring? Maybe you want an electronic training system like RIKA or SCATT or whatever people are using?
Or, just shoot, shoot, shoot....!
Life is too short to waste it sorting out all the relative merits / drawbacks of all the pistols. I'd rather be a good shot (Well, that train left the station years ago.) than own a bunch of stuff. Although Clint Smith is from the "spray and pray" crowd, I can't find fault with what he said years ago:
“Beware the man with one gun, he knows how to use it.”

If there really is no budget constraint, I'd seriously consider giving my air pistol to somebody who doesn't have enough frustration in their life and then buy myself a Ferrari 206GT.
6string

Post by 6string »

william wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:06 pm
Life is too short to waste it sorting out all the relative merits / drawbacks of all the pistols.
Agreed!
That's why I said to get em, try em, then keep one, and sell the rest.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I think all you guys are missing it here.

He question was, without a budget constraint what would you buy.

SOMEBODY needs to be the first honest guy here and say.......

ALL OF THEM.........
william

Post by william »

I was being honest when I wrote:
"If there really is no budget constraint, I'd seriously consider giving my air pistol to somebody who doesn't have enough frustration in their life and then buy myself a Ferrari 206GT."

Probably should have mentioned a Subaru for when road conditions are not Dino-favorable, which would be about 250 days / year.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

spektr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm I think all you guys are missing it here.

ALL OF THEM.........
Well, in fact, I did: :-)
northpaw wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:51 pm Do yourself a favor, buy all three of them, Steyr Evo E, Walther 500, and the FWB p8x. Shoot them extensively for a while, then decide which one brings you the best scores. Then trade off the guns you do not want to own. I have bought them all, favor the Walther 500, but will keep my Steyr Evo E (alongside my older Steyr LP 10). The FWB P8x i may trade off.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

northpaw wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 pm
spektr wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:32 pm I think all you guys are missing it here.

ALL OF THEM.........
Well, in fact, I did: :-)
northpaw wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:51 pm Do yourself a favor, buy all three of them, Steyr Evo E, Walther 500, and the FWB p8x. Shoot them extensively for a while, then decide which one brings you the best scores. Then trade off the guns you do not want to own. I have bought them all, favor the Walther 500, but will keep my Steyr Evo E (alongside my older Steyr LP 10). The FWB P8x i may trade off.
Yes he did, but northpaw talking without the proviso "if there were no budget constraints..." .
A slight difference :)
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys..

Thanks for all the feedback and replies to my initial discussion topic...

I'm very new and totally useless to this damn pistol lark. What a bloody stupid sport this is..!! Holding a gun out front with NO support what so ever. Madness!
I've purchased a Morini CM 200e that come up for sale here in NZ from a gentleman who had stopped due to health issues. It needed a larger grip as he had a small hand. I've purchased an off the shelf Morini Grip which to be honest was not much chop. I've added Kwik Wood to it after advice from another thread here( which was extremely helpful,so thanks to those who helped with that) Its now a lot better but not perfect..as yet.
I totally agree with a lot of the comments posted earlier re my question.. I guess all modern guns of the same discipline are going to be much the same. I personally believe the grip is the most important part of an air pistol.
My admiration for people who hit the middle consistently has gone through the roof.. but clearly many years of ago g and zillions of pellets pay off in the end.
I've ordered an Inband target and can't wait for it to arrive. Recommendations here from our friend the Pistol Guy were definitely well received by me..so thank you for posting it.

Thanks is again guys and kind regards from New Zealand.
william

Post by william »

There you have it. You've gone straight to top shelf which means you've skipped all the time-wasting that many of us go through until we find what works for us. I think I speak for Rover as well: Now that you have a pistol that can't objectively be improved upon, you can put the tool out of your mind altogether and focus on what's really important - the artisan.

If the 200e is like the 162e, don't forget to switch it off before putting it away.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well, William, I agree.

But, I also state that the shooter can have no longer have any excuse for piss-poor performance.

Too bad for many here who have their dreams of glory shattered by their new purchase.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Unread post by Rover » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:15 pm

Well, William, I agree.

But, I also state that the shooter can have no longer have any excuse for piss-poor performance.

Too bad for many here who have their dreams of glory shattered by their new purchase.

The opposing view to this is that the user who advocates outdated equipment has an inner fear of not performing with the latest and greatest and derives comfort from the fact that if he shoots a good score with what should be relegated to a museum people will say:

“ look at that score he shot with outdated equipment ..he’s is amazing”.

Or if a bad score is shot the response is likely to be “ well what do you expect...the poor prick is using equipment that was dragged off the Ark....not a bad performance really “. WIN... WIN. ( piss poor supported as well )

There is a chance that people advocating hand pumped, underpowered, target ripping equipment really are suffering from an insecurity issue and live “comfortably” in the bubble mentioned earlier.
Whatever the situation advocating using less contemporary equipment as opposed to technologically superior equipment is in my mind similar to getting up on a soapbox and suggesting buttoned fly’s, lace up shoes and horses and buggy are better or at least equal to zips, slip ons and air conditioned cars.
Reality and reminiscing are poles apart.

Remember the brief ?

So...if there was NO budget constraints and you were shopping for a new air pistol what would be in the shopping basket..?