World Cup without tools?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

World Cup without tools?

Post by brent375hh »

https://youtu.be/yOZrMZvdD2k

If you see the beginning between 6:40 and 10:00, it appears that a hex key is not available for the Morini fix required. That somewhat amazes me.
stephen_maly

Re: World Cup without tools?

Post by stephen_maly »

There are at least two possibilities here.

Each gun (usually) comes with the tools needed for minor servicing. Those should have been with the athlete, and available if needed during the match. The coach should have had a spare set also.

However, there are some shooters and coaches who are without the correct tool (for what-ever reason), and substitute an ill-fitting one for it. A good many screws end up being ruined by tools which don't fit properly. Once this is the case, the factory tools are of no help when you need to use them. The solution for this is to always obtain the correct part (have spares on hand), and always use the correct tool to effect repairs, even if the gun is out of commission for a few days.

With good planning and preparation, both of the above situations are avoidable. Indeed, this is where the coach's knowledge and experience are supposed to save the day.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Probably shouldn't be putting weight on the foresight and loading lever either.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:38 pm https://youtu.be/yOZrMZvdD2k

If you see the beginning between 6:40 and 10:00, it appears that a hex key is not available for the Morini fix required. That somewhat amazes me.
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63626
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Coach is Russian, and it says everything. There is a single word in Russian that guides a lot of behavior, that can be very loosely translated as "blind trust in divine providence" :)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Check out 38:00. That guy has hit sight on backwards. Maybe he knows something?
David M

Post by David M »

bottom line.....Don't let the coach touch your gun, most are not gunsmiths.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Tell that to Gwhite.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

That is painful to watch . . . because I lived it.
At last years SASP Collegiate Nationals one of my athletes wanted to keep the hex wrench for the optics. I like to pass the responsibility to the athletes. It is a good demonstration that they are taking responsibility for themselves, their equipment and their performance.
Between matches we had to remove the optics to compete in the next, iron sight discipline. This athlete had changed pants the previous evening and the small hex key didn't get moved into their new pants. Needless to say this caused a lot of unnecessary stress, for this athlete, his coach, and his entire team.

Lessons re-learned:
1. With small hex WRENCHES, it is impossible to visually distinguished between metric and standard wrench sizes.
2. It is impossible to visually identify if a SCREW is standard or metric. A dab of colored paint on the screw that matches the wrench holder is a time saver to remind the user which set of tools to use.
2. Having loose wrenches is problematic because it is near impossible to know if one is missing.
3. Wrench sets, in wrench holders is the ONLY smart way for ME to be preparred.
4. With small hex wrenches, the wrong size will occasionally 'feel' like it fits but when torque is applied, will slip and ruin the screw.
5. Back-up wrenches are an ounce of prevention that is worth more than a pound of cure.

Yea, what is up with that backwards front sight on the Steyr at 37:37 and 37:49 ?
Attachments
Wrenches.JPG
Wrenches.JPG (31.02 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

David M wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:37 am bottom line.....Don't let the coach touch your gun, most are not gunsmiths.
In the interest of keeping the sport alive (or preferably, growing), many coaches work with juniors, or college students. The vast majority of the shooters are mechanically declined.... The Coach is the closest thing to a gunsmith they will typically have at a competition. That said, Coaches need to know their limitations. I've certainly seen a lot of damaged screws from the attempts at adjustments of Coaches as well as shooters.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I thought all high end guns used metric sized fasteners.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

SPPcoach wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:52 am Yea, what is up with that backwards front sight on the Steyr at 37:37 and 37:49 ?
Lol, I want to know that too...😂👍
David M

Post by David M »

Maybe the coach put it on......
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:35 pm Check out 38:00. That guy has hit sight on backwards. Maybe he knows something?
That makes the front sight appear to be brighter. It may be useful if he is aiming in the middle.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Not just for center aim, try it!
rmca

Post by rmca »

When I saw the front sight "backwards", I immediately thought, that guy started shooting with revolvers... ;)
metman

Post by metman »

rmca wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:29 pm When I saw the front sight "backwards", I immediately thought, that guy started shooting with revolvers... ;)
It's so it won't snag on the holster - you know, for quick-draw ;)