Dry firing during match?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Dry firing during match?

Post by brent375hh »

I don't see it anywhere in the ISSF rules.
If I am suffering trigger issues, can I dry fire in the middle of a match?
renzo

Re: Dry firing during match?

Post by renzo »

Yes you can, once the CRO has allowed the shooters to take their guns.

But behold!! If you're shooting AP and you forgot to set your pistol to dry fire, any gas expulsion from the barrel will be counted as a shot.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

No dry fire during Finals.
Rover

Post by Rover »

atomicgale wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:54 am No dry fire during Finals.
But, hopefully you'll have your shit together by then.

I frequently dry-fire during a match, especially after a bad shot or one not to call. If I don't, I'm likely to repeat the problem.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Rover wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:45 pm
atomicgale wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:54 am No dry fire during Finals.
But, hopefully you'll have your shit together by then.

I frequently dry-fire during a match, especially after a bad shot or one not to call. If I don't, I'm likely to repeat the problem.
Yes, I have been known to shoot a cloverleaf of liner 9/8s if I don't fix my problem.
william

Post by william »

"...any gas expulsion from the barrel will be counted as a shot."

How many points has Rover been penalized as a result of gas expulsion?
Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote »

william wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 pm "...any gas expulsion from the barrel will be counted as a shot."

How many points has Rover been penalized as a result of gas expulsion?
Rover

Post by Rover »

The only penalties are to the guys on either side of me. Remember, I used to live close to Mexico. Frijoles y cerveza, muy bueno!
FWB_700_Alu

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

ISSF rule number?
william

Post by william »

FWB_700_Alu wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:58 pm ISSF rule number?
Note paragraph c.
6.12.4The Athlete is responsible for:
a) Reporting to his firing point, ready to shoot, at the correct time, with equipment that complies with these rules;
b) Taking his firing position on his designated firing point so that he does not disturb adjacent athletes; and
c) Conducting himself so that he does not disturb or adversely affect the performances of other athletes. If, in the opinion of the Jury, an athlete’s behavior or actions disturbs other athletes, the athlete may be given a warning, penalty or disqualification, depending upon the circumstances.

Who doubts the potential of Rover's gas expulsion to "adversely affect the performances of other athletes"? I'd say the decision between "warning, penalty or disqualification" depends very much on the proportions of frijoles y cerveza.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If that was a serious question about dry firing in a final, rather than about Rover's gas expulsions, then it's 6.17.1.13 e):-

In Finals, dry firing is permitted only during a Preparation and Sighting Time, Changeover and Sighting Times or a Preparation Period, except that dry firing during 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Finals is permitted in accordance with 6.17.4. Dry firing, at any other time must be penalized with a one (1) point deduction in 10m and 50m Finals and a one (1) hit deduction in 25m Pistol Finals.
renzo

Post by renzo »

David Levene wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:21 pm
If that was a serious question about dry firing in a final, rather than about Rover's gas expulsions, then it's 6.17.1.13 e):-

In Finals, dry firing is permitted only during a Preparation and Sighting Time, Changeover and Sighting Times or a Preparation Period, except that dry firing during 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Finals is permitted in accordance with 6.17.4. Dry firing, at any other time must be penalized with a one (1) point deduction in 10m and 50m Finals and a one (1) hit deduction in 25m Pistol Finals.
David:

I think the OP was asking about dry firing between live shots during the classification phase, not during finals.

Also assuming the post is not completely derailed, my answer was in that sense, and atomicgale clarified the question referring Finals.

What's your view on the matter?

Have a good 2021
rmca

Post by rmca »

To respond to the original question:
Dry firing during a match?

Dry Firing is the release of the cocked trigger mechanism of an unloaded
cartridge gun or the release of the trigger mechanism of an air or gas gun fitted
with a device which enables the trigger to be operated without releasing the
propelling charge (air or gas). Dry firing and aiming exercises are permitted only
on the firing line or in a designated area in accordance with these rules.

f) After the Chief Range Officer calls athletes to the line, they are permitted to
handle their guns, dry fire (safety flags may be removed for dry firing) or carry
out holding and aiming exercises on the firing line before the Preparation and
Sighting Time starts;

b) Every shot fired after the start of MATCH firing must be recorded as a MATCH
shot, however, dry firing is allowed;

e) In Finals, dry firing is permitted only during a Preparation and Sighting Time,
Changeover and Sighting Times or a Preparation Period, except that dry firing
during 25m Rapid Fire Pistol Finals is permitted in accordance with 6.17.4. Dry
firing, at any other time must be penalized with a one (1) point deduction in
10m and 50m Finals and a one (1) hit deduction in 25m Pistol Finals.

Hope this helps
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:36 am The only penalties are to the guys on either side of me. Remember, I used to live close to Mexico. Frijoles y cerveza, muy bueno!
With that diet, disqualification should be in order... ;)

a) Reporting to his firing point, ready to shoot, at the correct time, with equipment that complies with these rules;
b) Taking his firing position on his designated firing point so that he does not disturb adjacent athletes; and
c) Conducting himself so that he does not disturb or adversely affect the performances of other athletes. If, in the opinion of the Jury, an athlete’s behavior or actions disturbs other athletes, the athlete may be given a warning, penalty or disqualification, depending upon the circumstances.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Thanks for all of the input.
Rover

Post by Rover »

brent375hh wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:30 am Thanks for all of the input.
Don't forget the output!
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

A somewhat related question:

While dry firing is prohibited during finals, is it ok to raise the gun to perform a hold?

I find I’m less less stable when raising the gun after a longer paus. (Longer as in longer than my normal rhythm) This can happen during finals where there will be a “longer” paus between eliminations.

If I can raise and hold (without dry fire) I could maintain my rythm so to speak.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JonPersson wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:54 am While dry firing is prohibited during finals, is it ok to raise the gun to perform a hold?
That's not a problem.

ISSF Rule 6.17.1.3 g):-
In Finals, holding and aiming exercises are permitted from the time finalists are called to the line (“ATHLETES TO THE LINE” command) until the “STOP…UNLOAD” command at the end of the Final is given, except that holding and aiming exercises may not be done during the presentations.
JonPersson

Post by JonPersson »

David Levene wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:06 am
That's not a problem.

ISSF Rule 6.17.1.3 g):-
In Finals, holding and aiming exercises are permitted from the time finalists are called to the line (“ATHLETES TO THE LINE” command) until the “STOP…UNLOAD” command at the end of the Final is given, except that holding and aiming exercises may not be done during the presentations.
Nice 🙏

Thanks!
rapha

Post by rapha »

rmca wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:32 pm
Rover wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:36 am The only penalties are to the guys on either side of me. Remember, I used to live close to Mexico. Frijoles y cerveza, muy bueno!
With that diet, disqualification should be in order... ;)

Would cerveza be considered a doping substance?