PCP Air Pistol Noise Level

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gort

PCP Air Pistol Noise Level

Post by Gort »

A friend of mine wants to set up an air pistol range in his apartment and asked me what is the quietest PCP air pistol is. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance. Gort
sal6781

Re: PCP Air Pistol Noise Level

Post by sal6781 »

I think the Morini is the best choice. I have an Evo and it is much louder !
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The sound level is ~90% velocity, and ~10% how the air is deflected at the muzzle with vents/compensators, etc. It also depends a bit on where the listener is located. Pistols with side facing muzzle vents may be louder off to the side than from the shooters location.

The Morini's nominal velocity is 500 FPS, vs ~ 515 FPS for Steyr's. If the sound is still objectionable, in theory, you can reduce the velocity a bit further. A used Steyr LP10 I bought for the team I help coach arrived shooting at about 430 FPS, and was very quiet (and still quite accurate). My personal Morini needs to go in for service because the regulator is putting out too much pressure. The velocity can't be set below 520 FPS.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Short barrels are louder.
batty

Post by batty »

use a non metallic pellet catcher or use the ballistic putty on the surface - Personally i find that the pellet hitting the catcher makes most noise
Rover

Post by Rover »

batty wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:43 pm use a non metallic pellet catcher or use the ballistic putty on the surface - Personally i find that the pellet hitting the catcher makes most noise
Exactly right, (see my 'box o' rags' posts) but turning down the power (velocity) works, too. I remember shooting next to a Morini 162ei and found it so quiet that I asked the shooter if his gun was OK.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Rover,
We all know the real reason to ask was to psych them out by creating doubt about their equipment.....
Rover

Post by Rover »

dschaller wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:23 am Rover,
We all know the real reason to ask was to psych them out by creating doubt about their equipment.....

The shooter was John Zurek. He said the same thing. I laughed.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

My LP50 is very quiet, target impact is much louder.
LP50.jpg