Feinwerkbau P44 inconsistent trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ChrisF

Feinwerkbau P44 inconsistent trigger

Post by ChrisF »

I have the opportunity to buy a used Feinwerkbau P44, the manufacture date on the tank is 03/15. I'm a lefty and it has a lefty grip so it is a rare opportunity. I got to test the gun for a week. Sometimes the trigger breaks crisp and clean and predictable and other times I'm standing there all day waiting for the gun to shoot and by the time it does the muzzle has wandered off into la-la land. I had a peer (hi Jim!) shoot the gun and he drew the same conclusion about the trigger. I can't really start messing with this gun without buying it and I don't want it buy, at least at market price, it if it has a problem. If a low ball the seller and get the gun, is there any advice for how to approach the trigger problem? Should I expect to be able to solve it myself with the manual? If I needed professional help, where would I go?

The 2nd thing about the gun is that 11 shots through the chrony yielded an avg velocity of 549 fps. That's a good deal higher than the advertised 508 fps. The owners manual does not say how to adjust the velocity but various bloggers have figured it out. I'm comfortable taking that on, and I don't know how this could have anything to do with the trigger but adding it for context.

Thanks!

ChrisF
Minnesota
northpaw

Re: Feinwerkbau P44 inconsistent trigger

Post by northpaw »

Owned a FWB P44 for some time, then traded it off: If an inconsistent trigger let-off-weight is the only issue about this gun, then you are in luck.

1. Trigger stop: If adjusted to tight, that may interfere with sear engagement.
2. Sear engagement: If to "short", then trigger let-off weight may vary.
3. Pellet velocity: From the factory the gun is constructed so it should not be possible for the gun to fire a pellet at a velocity that exceeds an energy of 4 Joules (due to regulations in many countries).
You had better reduce the velocity some. Appears some "home-mechanic" have fumbled with pellet velocity adjustment.
Velocity varies some with pellet weight.
jerber

Post by jerber »

Remember this,
Buying something used is buying someone's else problem!
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have had a P44 for a number of years now....... And I absolutely love it.
One thing they are sensitive to is cocking. You must gently pull the cocking lever all the way to AND contact the cocking stop at the end of the stroke. If you do not do that, you will introduce a variability into the trigger let-off point. Its a non issue for me NOW but when new it took a bit of time to understand it because it isn't clearly called out in the manual....... I have not heard of any trigger issues beyond that, OTOH there aren't a lot of them in circulation and because of that, maybe the knowledge base of "stuff" isn't as complete as the Steyr guys..... I love mine, but truthfully I'm not sure I wouldn't just buy a new P8 or any other brand new one just to have factory dealer support out of the box. There's a vast number of tiny polished parts inside these things, and I felt better going that way.......
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

how is the dryfire trigger? does it have the same inconsistencies?
did you observe any correlation between switching to dryfire or livefire and the trigger problems?
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
spektr

Post by spektr »

No discernible difference between the dry fire and shooting. the sear engagement point differences are cocking lever artifacts and the pressure release is not in the op pathway as far as I can tell...... I actually lift the lever with my left index finger and pull it back by pinching the lever between my thumb and index fingetip..... Its second nature after u do it a few times and treats the lever well since its hard to over do it...
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll give the cocking bit and/or trigger adjustment a try. It's a tough decision because my next gun will be the last one my wife agrees to for a very long time :)
spektr

Post by spektr »

Respectfully........
If its a retirement gun.
Buy something new from a solid company.
I cannot locate some tiny bits for my P44 and support, as good as it is
Will probably not improve. Spoil yourself, yours worth it......
Rover

Post by Rover »

spektr wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:38 pm Respectfully........
If its a retirement gun.
Buy something new from a solid company.
I cannot locate some tiny bits for my P44 and support, as good as it is
Will probably not improve. Spoil yourself, yours worth it......
Yeah, get a SSP and really spoil yourself!