MG2 evo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

Re: MG2 evo

Post by deadeyedick »

The picture you have shown is the standard version of the EVO. The grip seems to be from someone’s imagination as to how a MG2 evo may be adapted for Americans and definitely is not intended for ISSF shooting. The electronic version is following.

I have attached a photo of a MG2EVO RF manual trigger intended for ISSF shooting exclusively. Buy the RF as the recoil advantage from the angled spring loaded weights in the front is invaluable. I have the previous model electronic and I would also suggest the E.
The grip is adjustable to a greater rake angle than any other pistol.
D2224041-F7E8-4EDB-9408-0FDD084FC207.jpeg
D2224041-F7E8-4EDB-9408-0FDD084FC207.jpeg (53.55 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

The MG2 grips have a wide degree of adjustability and unlike other guns you don't need to readjust after taking grip off the frame. This adjustability is a big plus for Matchguns because its much easier than repeatedly dremelling and puttying a grip to suit your own position. All the publicity photos show the grip at its most inclined position. My own grips are kicked more upright about five degrees to accommodate an old elbow injury. I actually use Rink grips which have the same range for adjustment as the factory grip. Even if you don't shoot rapidfire I would still recommend the RF version if only for the experience of the shot. I haven't got any experience with the EVO yet.
dronning

Post by dronning »

The Bullseye version comes with the 6 piston recoil reduction system too. It also has the heavier bolt which has an advantage when shooting 50yds because it groups a little tighter. My current understanding is you can get the Bullseye version with or without the integral rail.
- Dave
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

93222DE2-A2BA-4FAD-9B61-3BEA5F66CFDB.jpeg
93222DE2-A2BA-4FAD-9B61-3BEA5F66CFDB.jpeg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
kutflklkhlh

Post by kutflklkhlh »

dronning wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm It also has the heavier bolt which has an advantage when shooting 50yds because it groups a little tighter.
Were these differences in group size measured shooting from a machine rest? What were the group sizes measured with the heavier / lighter bolt?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I had asked if MatchGuns could get the MG2 added to the Massachusetts "Formal Target Shooting Roster" so my wife & I could buy them. Thanks to the quirks of Massachusetts laws, the MG2 appears to be legal already!

Apparently there are TWO approved target pistol lists. I just stumbled across this "Olympic Competition Firearms Roster":

https://www.mass.gov/doc/olympic-compet ... r/download

This one is (I believe) based on info obtained from USA Shooting. It includes a whole list of Matchguns, including the following pistols:

Match Guns MG 2
Match Guns MG 2 E
Match Guns MG 2 Rapid Fire
Match Guns MG 2 E Rapid Fire
Match Guns MG 5
Match Guns MG 5 E
Match Guns MG 200
Match Guns MG 240

Although it doesn't specifically include the "EVO" version, I've never heard of them checking that closely. They could(in theory) also quibble over the bullseye versions...

I'm interested in the ISSF version, so I think I can go ahead and start shopping in earnest.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Actually there are four, and you have to check them all. But be sure your FFL is ok with it before you buy, mine checks rather carefully.

https://www.mass.gov/lists/approved-firearms-rosters
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I'm interested in the ISSF version, so I think I can go ahead and start shopping in earnest.
Keep us posted..
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Hi~ I'm new here. Recently, I'm thinking of buying a MG2. I noticed the weight on Matchguns website says 880 g - 1.150 g. Why there's a range, does it mean with or without magazine? Can anyone please tells me it 's actual weight? Thanks in advance.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Depending on the model, the pistols weigh different amounts, and there are various weights that can be removed or added. I have the regular (non-Rapid version), and there are two weights at the front that you can remove. The Rapid Fire version has a number of spring loaded weights to reduce recoil, and the slide for the Rapid Fire version is much lighter.
Dcforman

Post by Dcforman »

I will add that I have the bullseye version (without the integrated rail), which has the heavy slide and 6 reciprocating weights in front. Another option that is heavier. Happy to weigh it, if you like.

Dave
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Gwhite wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:42 pm Depending on the model, the pistols weigh different amounts, and there are various weights that can be removed or added. I have the regular (non-Rapid version), and there are two weights at the front that you can remove. The Rapid Fire version has a number of spring loaded weights to reduce recoil, and the slide for the Rapid Fire version is much lighter.
thanks very much for the info. i would probably just go for a regular version for now cause i just get into this sport. another reason is that i have some injury in my shoulder joint, so im looking for light weight pistol. it looks like the MG2 suites my need very well. all the other guns are 1kg something if im not mistaken.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Dcforman wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:40 pm I will add that I have the bullseye version (without the integrated rail), which has the heavy slide and 6 reciprocating weights in front. Another option that is heavier. Happy to weigh it, if you like.

Dave
yeah some of my club members told me the same heavier is better. but I've tried a couple of heavier guns like an old model of Hammerli rapid fire pistol. i just found it's too heavy for me. after 60 shots, my shoulder was very sour. (my shoulder is not in a very good condition by the way)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The lightest possible configuration is probably the Rapid Fire & then remove the weights. If you work on strengthening your shoulder, you can add them back in later.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:35 am The lightest possible configuration is probably the Rapid Fire & then remove the weights. If you work on strengthening your shoulder, you can add them back in later.
oh~ so with the weights removal configuration it's even lighter than the standard version with removed front weights? if so i think i should go for the Rapid Fire version and do the weights removal. Thank you so very much for this.
actually i haven't yet got a chance to shoot some rapid fire. i just started this sport and joined a club a few month ago and have been mainly shooting precision shooting and 10m air pistol too. so i don't really know what's the difference between a standard version and a rapid fire version of a pistol. will a standard version more accurate than a rapid fire version? sorry for the silly questions.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

i also saw deadeyedick suggested the rapid fire version with electronic trigger. again, I've totally no experience with shooting electronic trigger, lol. all the club guns are old mechanical trigger. so a bit concern it'll have more problems than a mechanical trigger? and hard to repair? just curious cause i also read a post about Morini air pistol's electronic trigger broke down a lot.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

just had a quick look on Matchguns website about the weight of MG2s:

standard version: 880g-1150g
rapid fire version: 970g-1160g
rapid fire E version: 1005g-1195g
kbc

MG2 & MG2E weights

Post by kbc »

Here are the approximate weight break down. Please keep in mind that the grip weight varies a little due to size, whether it is off-set for cross eye shooting, and wood density variation. The following weights were measured with cheap digital scales.

MG2 (standard slide, steel counterweight, no steel weight, and S-size grip) - 1046 g
MG2 E (RF slide, RF counterweight, no tungsten damper, and S-size grip for cross eye shooting) - 984 g

The counterweight locks the barrel onto the frame.
Steel counterweight only - 232 g
Two steel weights can be attached to the steel counterweight, one on each side.
One steel weight plus two screws - 28.77 g
RF counterweight only - 137 g (made of aluminum)

MG2 RF and MG2E RF come with RF counterweight with 6 tungsten dampers, 6 damping springs, and 6 captive screws.
Each tungsten damper weighs about 18.08 g
One tungsten damper, damping spring, and captive screw - 19.93 g

Standard slide - 105.2 g
RF slide - 88.2 g
Most of us prefer the standard slide.

The lightest configuration will be MG2 with RF slide and RF counterweight (no tungsten damper) - approximately 924 g

I don't shoot ISSF RF, so I have not experienced the advantage of RF slide. I personally prefer MG2 with standard slide and steel counterweight for ISSF and NRA Standard disciplines. The recoil is very soft when shooting with SK Pistol Match (green box).

I hope this information will give you all a better idea of how the MG2 weight varies depending on the configuration.
lwy.todd.lu

Re: MG2 & MG2E weights

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

kbc wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 am Here are the approximate weight break down. Please keep in mind that the grip weight varies a little due to size, whether it is off-set for cross eye shooting, and wood density variation. The following weights were measured with cheap digital scales.

MG2 (standard slide, steel counterweight, no steel weight, and S-size grip) - 1046 g
MG2 E (RF slide, RF counterweight, no tungsten damper, and S-size grip for cross eye shooting) - 984 g

The counterweight locks the barrel onto the frame.
Steel counterweight only - 232 g
Two steel weights can be attached to the steel counterweight, one on each side.
One steel weight plus two screws - 28.77 g
RF counterweight only - 137 g (made of aluminum)

MG2 RF and MG2E RF come with RF counterweight with 6 tungsten dampers, 6 damping springs, and 6 captive screws.
Each tungsten damper weighs about 18.08 g
One tungsten damper, damping spring, and captive screw - 19.93 g

Standard slide - 105.2 g
RF slide - 88.2 g
Most of us prefer the standard slide.

The lightest configuration will be MG2 with RF slide and RF counterweight (no tungsten damper) - approximately 924 g

I don't shoot ISSF RF, so I have not experienced the advantage of RF slide. I personally prefer MG2 with standard slide and steel counterweight for ISSF and NRA Standard disciplines. The recoil is very soft when shooting with SK Pistol Match (green box).

I hope this information will give you all a better idea of how the MG2 weight varies depending on the configuration.
Hi kbc,
Can’t thank you enough for such detailed information. I didn’t expect anyone would like to spend such amount of time on scaling all the parts and replying my question. These info are indeed so very useful. Thank you again.
Cheers
Todd
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

By the way I’m cross eyed dominant too. Haven been experimenting left hand shoot and both eyes open lately.