Steyr LP2 vs FWB P 8X

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rodn

Steyr LP2 vs FWB P 8X

Post by rodn »

What are your expert opinions on the LP2 vs P 8X? They are only $100 apart. And at their price point, $100 isn't much of a difference.

I am a new gramps and will be babysitting my pride and joy 5-days a week until next summer. But I do have 10m down my hallway and would like to keep in practice between naps. Both hers and mine!

Right now I'm shooting a Toz-35M and an MU-55

Thx in advance for your insights!
kevinweiho

Re: Steyr LP2 vs FWB P 8X

Post by kevinweiho »

The P8X has practically all the bells and whistles you would ever want in a match grade air pistol. The FWB only comes with one cylinder, if I am not mistaken,
while the LP2 comes with two.

Both are excellent pistols, but I’d pick the P8X.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Thx Kevin!
spektr

Post by spektr »

The Feinwerkbau pistols have THE most incredible mechanical triggers of near infinite adjustability. I have been shooting the P-44 a while and my understanding is that the trigger mech is the same. It will have a slightly slower lock time than an elecronic trigger, but I like the tradeoff I made. There is also an adjustment in the sights that lets you dial out a lot of cant. I found this to be particularily good since when I rotate my hand a bit CCW, my forearm muscles reduce the tension in them. The cant adjust lets you stand the sights back to horizontal...... I have been very happy with it
rodn

Post by rodn »

Thx spektr!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

P8x by a country mile.....I have owned both fwiw.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Excellent, thx!
j-team

Post by j-team »

spektr wrote:It will have a slightly slower lock time than an elecronic trigger, but I like the tradeoff I made.
I disagree. Electronic triggers air pistols have the same mechanical moving parts as a mechanical one (in fact more if you count the solenoid). Therefore a mechanical trigger is just as fast as far as lock time is concerned. If you work through the process from applying 500 grams to the trigger shoe through to the valve releasing the air you will see what I mean.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

P8X by any measure.
Best gun I have ever owned. Balance, grip, sights, trigger all come together in the shot.
Shoot one then you'll know.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Sounds like that's the consensus :)
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

If the P8X is only $100 more than the LP2 one is mispriced :)

Do you want to shoot just 10m? An LP50 might be more fun in general, the tradeoff being the trigger.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Thx wasatch,

Yup, right now the primary use is to keep me in practice until I can get back to the Range in June with the Toz.

Now saying that out loud, both the P8x and LP2 are probably way too much for that purpose.

Maybe a Hammerli AP20 that I could use later to teach the kiddies? That’ll save me $1k, too

Thx everyone for your input
Star7

Post by Star7 »

I have 9-10mos only on the P8X but so far, no trouble. I have never owned a LP2 but doubt that you would go wrong either way.
Champion's Choice seems to have the best price on cylinders for the P8X and I just bought one with the date 1/18. I am not really bonding with the electric trigger on my free pistol and have really liked the mechanical trigger on my fwb air rifle so I am biased.....I really like the P8x trigger. The ability to adjust the stocks has been useful as well.

Either way, they are both fine choices.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Thx Star7!
spektr

Post by spektr »

Alternate thought. Buy a Daisy 747. Stiff trigger, low velocity, makes you have to have a super solid hold to score well. It IS accurate and all its idiosyncricitys make it perfect to train for a free pistol...... I have one as well as a 777 and it is a completely overlooked masterpiece of value engineering . It will teach you everytbing there is to learn about trigger control.
rodn

Post by rodn »

interesting, thx spektr
Rover

Post by Rover »

For your stated purpose.....FAS6004.....and it's cheap.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Rover have you experienced/heard of any quality change since Chiappa bought them?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I bought a used 6004 a while back. The rear sight blade was made from sheet metal, and had gotten bent. The front sight was die cast, and had also been damaged. I ordered new ones from Chiappa, and both of the new parts were machined from solid steel.

They at least appear to A) stand behind their products with parts & support, and B) they've improved the manufacturing of some parts that they found to be sub-standard.

Using the tune-up instructions posted some time ago, mine is a perfectly serviceable beginners air pistol.
rodn

Post by rodn »

Thx gwhite!