Moving powder, primers in summer heat

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

MinnesotaGuy

Moving powder, primers in summer heat

Post by MinnesotaGuy »

Suppose someone's moving from the midwest to the southwest, packs up all his stuff in a UHaul, including reloading equipment. Suppose he does this in summer. Is he best to pack the powder (about 10lb or so) and primers (a few thousand) in boxes and keep them in the airconditioned cab of the moving truck? If he stops halfway for a hot summer's night, does he leave them in the cab? Is there no better way? Suppose his wife may not want to bounce down the road with this in the cab between them. Suppose the guy isn't a huge fan of this idea, generally, either. Sell it all before moving? Or am I missing a good way to get the goods where they need to go?
dulcmr-man

Re: Moving powder, primers in summer heat

Post by dulcmr-man »

Before moving to Arizona I lived in the southern Mojave desert in California and kept my powder and primers in an un-airconditioned garage for years with no ill effects. FWIW.

Dennis
10M_Stan

Post by 10M_Stan »

First off, if you're that concerned then you should email or call the manufacturer. Nothing you are doing is illegal or unusual. Secondly, put the powder and primer containers in plastic bags so your sweat does not drip on them when moving (IMO).
Last edited by 10M_Stan on Thu May 24, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Powder and primers get shipped around the country in non-climate controlled trucks all the time. I'm sure they arrived at your house or the store you purchased them from in a truck that wasn't air conditioned. I wouldn't worry about it.
MinnesotaGuy

Post by MinnesotaGuy »

thank you for sharing your perspectives and advice, everyone.

i haven’t told my wife about it but i personally don’t have a safety concern as much as a “will accuracy be degraded?” concern.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Dulcimer-man has it right.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Throw them in a chilly bin.
Image Image
rfwhatley

Post by rfwhatley »

10M_Stan wrote:Secondly, put the powder and primers in plastic bags so your sweat does not drip on them when moving (IMO).
Allow me to clarify this statement. Both the powder and primers are factory packed in static-free containers. For your safety they need to remain in those same containers. If you want/need to place them in plastic bags that's fine, but those bags should be over the outside of the factory packing.

Other than that, as was said they need no special care. The optimal thermal location is the coolest location; maybe the rear floor board or bottom of the trailer. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to place any of this in a roof-top carrier, or the very top of a aluminum U-Haul trailer.

Insulation works two ways. The problem with coolers and other thermal containers is that once the heat gets in, the container works hard to keep the heat in. The idea is to not heat soak these items 24/7.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

The big issue with powder and primers, is temp changes that suck in humidity etc. and affect the materials.. I would separate the the two from each other, throw some desicant in the container, and party on.