what .22 pistol would you choose?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
netje

what .22 pistol would you choose?

Post by netje »

Prices have been comming in from walther, feinwerkbau,...

They are all within 200-300 euro.

Walther SSP, GSP expert
Feinwerkbau AW93
Matchguns MG2 rapid fire

Benelli mp90s (not available in my gunsshop, so probaly won't bother)

Any experience with the pistols above.
Will be used for standard pistol target.
EdStevens

Re: what .22 pistol would you choose?

Post by EdStevens »

I like my MG-2, but I personally would not use the RF version for Standard Pistol. Too heavy! Less recoil, sure, but fatiguing.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Why exclude the Pardini SP?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I like MG2.
netje

Post by netje »

The Pardini is not localy available, distributor from what i found doesn't exist anymore.
So probably not the best way to get into a new gun.
Never seen a Pardini on a shooting range, so no interest in the brand.

They apparantly very popular, but not in Belgium or certanly not in my region.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I like MG2.
Me too ! If you order the pistol with the optional ergal front weight instead of the steel the RF version can be as light as 884 grams.

I have the ergal weight with four dampeners and mine is 930 grams...absolute delight.
Hubert

Post by Hubert »

There is no correct answer to the question of which one fits your bill. Try all before you buy.
I love my AW93. A friend of mine uses successfully his Walther. Another one shoots his Pardini.
You have a great shop to deal with that might be just round the corner. Sent them inquiry.
https://www.krale-schietsport.nl/en/gun ... status=313
netje

Post by netje »

Hubert,

That shop is in a other country, +- 370km from where i live.
Can't buy anything there due to the laws of my country/provence.
Thanks for the help though.
I can't try any, all have to be orderd.

Which Walter does your friend shoot the GSP or the SSP?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

netje wrote: Will be used for standard pistol target.
Many experienced shooters regard the FW93 and the Walther SSP as unsuitable for Standard Pistol specifically.
Reason: significant muzzle jump, detrimental in the fast series.

Pardini SP and Matchguns MG2 are the most comonly recommended ones. Internationally, probably 90% to 95% Pardinis in the upper echelons. Both very stable in firing.

Alexander
rmca

Post by rmca »

netje

Pardini is the only right answer to your question. Everything else is a second choice. Don't even bother...
(leave your angry comments below...)

Belgium is part of the EU. You can buy a gun in an other country in the EU as long as you have an import permission form your autorities.
I've buyed a couple from Germany and they arrived in Portugal without an hipcup.
It's a little more paperwork, but it's well worth it.

Best regards
netje

Post by netje »

rmca,

You are right Belgium is part of the EU, but we have a much tougher gun-law than the rest of the EU.
Even our provinces have diffenrent takes on how they see the law.
In my case self import is simply impossible.

If i buy something i want a local distributor otherwise i can't obtain parts, even magasins are now gonna be linked to the serialnr of that specific gun.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

netje wrote:rmca,
You are right Belgium is part of the EU, but we have a much tougher gun-law than the rest of the EU.
Only in your dreams. ONLY in your dreams.

Alexander, from a neighbouring country
rmca

Post by rmca »

netje,

It's up to you, but in your shoes I would give this guys a visit:

Official dealers for Pardini in Belgium

LIEGE ARMS
RUE DU BELLENAY 111
4040 HERSTAL
Tel. 0032 4 2489054
Fax 0032 4 2489072
liegearms@skynet.be
liegearms@hotmail.com

SECOYA SPRL
Mme Martello
Z.I.DES HAUTS SARTS,4ème AVENUE,5
4040 HERSTAL
Tel 0032 4 2404111
secoya-be@hotmail.com

From the Pardini website

Hope this helps
joel

Post by joel »

Alexander wrote:
netje wrote: Will be used for standard pistol target.
Many experienced shooters regard the FW93 and the Walther SSP as unsuitable for Standard Pistol specifically.

Pardini SP and Matchguns MG2 are the most comonly recommended ones. Internationally, probably 90% to 95% Pardinis in the upper echelons. Both very stable in firing.

Alexander
Wrong as far as the SSP. It is the most stable pistol I have ever shot with nearly undetectable muzzle jump.

Joel
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Fairly universal opinion among top shooters, Joel. You are maybe more tolerant or forgiving than this crowd.
Maybe you should check with them, and see _why_ the Walther SSP in so rare in competitions. Even Walther's marketing face (Munkhbajar Dorjsuren) changed to Pardini ASAP after her sponsoring contract expired - and she shoots neither standard pistol nor rapid fire.
joel

Post by joel »

Interesting, though for sure I am no where near a top shooter. The difference between the AW93 and SSP with regard to muzzle jump is huge. My SSP barely moves. My SP20rrs moves a little, very little, but the SSP is amazing. Perhaps I got a "good one". I have never shot the GSP so can't attest to that. My Matchguns MG2 is coming in about a month so I'll get to try that one. It isn't the RP version, just the standard version. Actually, the only pistol I have that moves less than the SSP would be the Steyr FP. It recoils straight back into my arm, amazing. It has more kick, but it is straight back.

Cheers,

Joel
netje

Post by netje »

Not at all Alexander,

It's all depends on in which provence you live.
Your hole history gets checked, 2 speeding-tickets and you get considerd to be agressive off nature => possible loss of permits.
There was a time when i was shooting in a sport/match confideration, they could take blood and breath test whenever they wanted, make you redo theorethical and practical tests, failure => loss of permits.

So, tougher than most of the EU.
Won't complain to much as i can still enjoy the sport.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Hubert wrote:Try all before you buy.
That phrase has been one of the most frustrating since I started shooting.
Even with a hugely stocked store of "standard"/tactical/cpmbat/defense/combat arms, best you can do is hold a few before the sales guy tires of you. Often can't even get a feel for the trigger dry-firing or the sales person freaks out.

In the rarefied world of international target shooting, I'm convinced the business model is broken. Need more sores like Krale and Gehmann that are retailers and sell everything. And they and national/provincial/state shooting sport organisations need to do everything possible to make examples of everything available regularly to the shooting "masses". Even with the organisation of national distributors and retailer being the same people, a concerted effort needs to be made to make it possible for sport ambassadors (clubs or individuals) to acquire a wide selection of equipment below or near cost to go out and give participants the opportunity to see and try what's available.

Probably just blue sky dreaming...
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
KH250

Post by KH250 »

I love the use of the word ''unsuitable" in this statement. I did not realize that owning a SSP was such bad thing. I guess it is impossible to shoot standard pistol with a SSP.
My SSP has a great weight distribution, is utterly reliable. Shoots any ammo, has great sights. I disagree with Joel, my experience with the SSP is that the MG2 and the Pardini have better recoil characteristics. For me the MG2 is the best.
I would love to own a MG2 but after my experience with a MG4 breaking the slide twice, firing pin, bullet insertion lever twice and having to replace the top cover. Unprepared to risk anther MG.
I own a Pardini 32 and I am happy with it, but have no desire to own the 22 version. I out shoot the Pardini with my SSP on the range and on the Scatt.

I guess I will struggle on trying to shoot my "unsuitable" SSP. While I am not shooting at the Olympics, I do not feel disadvantaged by my SSP. The reason I shoot the SSP is because I like it.
KH250

Post by KH250 »

Back to the original question
I own a SSP I am very happy with it. Love the weight distribution. Mine has the 140 gram dampened weight on the front.
Did not consider the GSP at the time I got the SSP. It did not have the weight distribution I wanted, plus a little bit too heavy.
AW93 did not want a pistol with frame as part of the grip. Good pistol, well made, reliable, but freedom of grip design was important to me. Liked shooting it.
MG2 lovely pistol, great recoil characteristics. I have use both the MG2 and R/F versions. Felt like I was using my MG4 but with hardly any recoil. My negative experience with MG4 has made me nervous about getting another MG. But most of my problems with the MG4 are most probably specific to the MG4.
The one I liked the most was the MG2. Very closely followed by the SSP.
It all comes down to what you like the most. The user is the biggest factor in the score, not the pistol.