Anschutz Precise Cheekpiece Mods

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bob3700

Anschutz Precise Cheekpiece Mods

Post by Bob3700 »

Am looking to customize the cheekpiece on my 1918 Precise stock. The factory "Plate" is just too hard and abruptly angled for comfort.

What sort of foam have you been using to soften up and pad the plate on these stocks.

Bob
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Precise Cheekpiece Mods

Post by Tim S »

Bob,

I would avoid foam. Foam compresses, but will compress more or less depending on your cheek pressure. The thin neoprene sheets that Anschutz sell/sold would soften the edge. Or you could use moleskin.

If the edge feels hard, it may not be the right shape. I believe you can remove the plastic top from the hardware, so replace it with some softwood and carve to shape.
groverdog1

Post by groverdog1 »

grind / round off the edge, I use a piece of thin cork board...works pretty good, mark d
Bob3700

Post by Bob3700 »

I purchased the stock that had been used. The cheek piece is an aluminum plate that is flat on top and the left side transitions to vertical abruptly. This 90 degree transition leaves a harsh edge against your cheek that ( no matter how u adjust the cheek piece) puts a sharp edge against your cheek bone. Filing or grinding the cheekpiece isnt really an option. Need to add a thin wood vernier top or dense foam to insulate your cheek from that harsh edge.

The cheek piece is wonderfully adjustable, just not comfortable compared to the wood cheek piece on my origional stock.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

I replaced the original Precise cheek piece with a piece of timber 19mm thick (3/4"). I replaced the original screws with longer 4mm screws.
I shaped the timber so it had a suitably comfortable radius and a slight slope vertically. It took about 5min to make with a drop saw and some sand paper.
And if you don't like your first attempt just throw it away and start again, timber is very cheap.
Cheers
Martin
Bryan996

Post by Bryan996 »

I had the same problem and glued a TEC-HRO cheek piece on that I already had (see attached pis). You can buy them separately from their website:

https://tec-hro.de/schiesssport/en/benc ... arbon.html

Works a treat as I prefer the highly polished finish and curvature.

Hope this helps, Bryan
Attachments
pic 2.jpg
pic1.jpg
Ltdave

Post by Ltdave »

can i add to this thread? instead of starting a new one of the same topic...

my daughters cheekpiece on her Anschutz Precise is too long. she needs it all the way forward in order to put the butt plate up high enough in prone...

has anyone ever cut the back end of the cheekpiece off?

i think id like to make a nice wooden piece to leave the original "not buggered"...
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

Ltdave wrote:can i add to this thread? instead of starting a new one of the same topic...

my daughters cheekpiece on her Anschutz Precise is too long. she needs it all the way forward in order to put the butt plate up high enough in prone...

has anyone ever cut the back end of the cheekpiece off?

i think id like to make a nice wooden piece to leave the original "not buggered"...
I cut off, with a dremel in 5 minutes, just the last part. No issues afterward ^^

A lot of people do this operation, it will not be a problem for a future reselling.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Erud

Post by Erud »

I've cut all kinds of stuff of of rifles, including the precise cheekpiece. Do whatever she needs to make it work for her.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

I cut the back 50mm off my wife's original Precise cheek piece using a cut off saw, it did a very neat job.