Material for an FAS 607 Pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SlartyBartFast

Material for an FAS 607 Pistol?

Post by SlartyBartFast »

So, I cleaned my FAS and found bits of the red buffer down in the frame and the buffer is completely perished and extruding out the bottom of the retaining clip.

In another thread I saw someone suggesting cutting a piece of rubber to create a replacement. Anyone have experience and any specific recommendations for what kind of material I should be looking for?
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
fc60

Re: Material for an FAS 607 Pistol?

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

New buffers are available from FAS in Italy.

You might try a Urethane key fob the correct thickness. Carefully cut a replacement with a single edge razor blade.

If the buffer is ruined, you may wish to replace the recoil spring, as well. Springs fatigue, shorten, and loose their strength from the constant cycling.

Cheers,

Dave
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

fc60 wrote:New buffers are available from FAS in Italy.
I know. But they are only available as part of a kit that costs $112 Canadian. Granted, the kit has a return spring and firing pin.

As I have had zero issues with the pistol other than those associated with cartridges jamming or sticking in the magazine and failing to load, I don't see the need to be replacing other parts.
- FAS SP607
race1911

Post by race1911 »

SlartyBartFast...I am the person in Vancouver, BC who bought the new in box FAS 607 2 months ago
Last edited by race1911 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

race1911 wrote:email me at __ as I have alot of info...........Dave
Done.
Thanks for the offer.

You might want to edit your post. Unless you want your email to be public on the net...
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Make one from any nylon resembling material and it will work just fine. After all it is only to stop metal hitting metal.

I made one for my 607 from teflon impregnated nylon and couldn’t destroy it even after years. Unlike the factory one it didn’t crumble.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Going to look for a key fob or something similar.

In the meantime, I'm going to try rubber washer material. Cut it and it's retained well in the pistol by the clip.
- FAS SP607
Gort

Post by Gort »

Urethane, hardness: shore A Durometer = 85 to 90
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Gort wrote:Urethane, hardness: shore A Durometer = 85 to 90
Thanks!
Figure what I put is probably way too soft. But didn't notice anything wrong firing the pistol.
- FAS SP607
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Just picked up what I think is a "new" 607, has none of the normal signs of use but doesn't appear to have a buffer pad, not sure if this is missing or a different design,not sure of the age, ser # 142** .
Not planning on shooting until I sort this.
Love how this is so modular, just hope it shoots as well as it's made.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

JFuller wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:25 pm Just picked up what I think is a "new" 607, has none of the normal signs of use but doesn't appear to have a buffer pad, not sure if this is missing or a different design,not sure of the age, ser # 142** .
Not planning on shooting until I sort this.
Love how this is so modular, just hope it shoots as well as it's made.
While I have one, I'm no expert on the history of design revisions.
But I only ever say one parts diagram with the clip and bumper.
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

They all had buffers. If yours is missing I would suggest sourcing one before use.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

deadeyedick wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:43 pm They all had buffers. If yours is missing I would suggest sourcing one before use.
Don't forget that you will also need the buffer clip.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

When I "stripped" the 607 I expected to see a buffer pad similar to the ones on Pardini SPs, visible, at the rear of the slide.

At the rear of the 607s "aluminum" reciever I can see a rectangular steel (magnetic) piece with a hole in the middle that aligns with
the back of the firing pin, is this the clip, it seems to be have a soft material behind it that also fills the hole in the steel insert,
is this what a 607 buffer looks like?
If anyone has a photo to share PM me for my email.

Thanks everyone for you help.
Last edited by JFuller on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

JFuller wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm At the rear of the 607s "aluminum" slide I can see a rectangular steel (magnetic) piece with a hole in the middle that aligns with
the back of the firing pin, is this the clip, it seems to be have a soft material behind it that also fills the hole in the steel insert,
That's the buffer and its clip.

The clip has 2 legs at 90 degrees to the front face that go backwards into holes in the receiver.

If those legs break then the front face can sometimes fall down, jamming everything up and stopping you from removing the receiver. It then becomes fun trying to strip the gun.
Leon

Post by Leon »

JFuller wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm When I "stripped" the 607 I expected to see a buffer pad similar to the ones on Pardini SPs, visible, at the rear of the slide.

At the rear of the 607s "aluminum" reciever I can see a rectangular steel (magnetic) piece with a hole in the middle that aligns with
If anyone has a photo to share PM me for my email.

Thanks everyone for you help.
Hi - if you still need pictures, I can send you images of the buffer and the buffer clip.

Congratulations on your acquisition - FAS 607s are great pistols, brilliantly designed & engineered. And the new model, the FAS 6007, has raised the bar even higher.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Thats great Leon - just PM'd you my address.
JFuller

Post by JFuller »

Thanks for the pics Leon, confirms that, indeed, my 607 has a complete buffer and was already good to go.
Tried a few different brands of ammunition, CCI std vel doesn't even fit in the mag, just too long, settled on S&B sv as its 1mm shorter than CCI.
First time shooting, I am really impressed with the trigger, just over 1000g and a nice 2 stage to boot, although I might have to widen the rear sight from 3mm to help my old eyes.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

JFuller wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:49 am Thanks for the pics Leon, confirms that, indeed, my 607 has a complete buffer and was already good to go.
Tried a few different brands of ammunition, CCI std vel doesn't even fit in the mag, just too long, settled on S&B sv as its 1mm shorter than CCI.
First time shooting, I am really impressed with the trigger, just over 1000g and a nice 2 stage to boot, although I might have to widen the rear sight from 3mm to help my old eyes.
Try get your hands on CCI HP Subsonic. Works flawlessly in my 607. The QA isues with OAL with CCI is very apparent in some boxes. Some HPs are deep dimples, others look like LRN. But all seem to shoot almost flawlessly with only the odd failure to fire.

Shot two 2700's last week end. For .22 only on Saturday I shot the CCI and not one issue. For conventional I shot SK Pistol Match. Several issues and alibis.
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Any recommended sources for parts?
https://www.dominoguns.it/ has changed (seems old site has gone defunct and new site is just a placeholder) and doesn't show any 602/607 parts in search results.
- FAS SP607