Walther GSP Bolt Lockback

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jaxontarget

Walther GSP Bolt Lockback

Post by jaxontarget »

I have an early GSP that I've been using for a few years on and off. It is of the vintage that does have provision for the bolt to lock back after the last round in the magazine. It has worked this way for all the years I've had it, but suddenly has stopped working and I'm at a loss to see why. It will also not lock back on the empty magazine when opened manually - in other words it won't lock back at all. I believe the lockback is initiated by the follower button on the mags, but that is as far as my understanding goes. Can anyone point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this? Where is the mechanism located that accomplishes the lockback, and how is it otherwise manually initiated (I've never had to do that before since it has always locked back on an empty magazine).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Happy New Year!
FWB_700_Alu

Re: Walther GSP Bolt Lockback

Post by FWB_700_Alu »

I believe thier is also a spring involved that is in the frame. Part 46. They get weak after some time.
jaxontarget

Re: Walther GSP Bolt Lockback

Post by jaxontarget »

I figured it out. I'd forgotten that I'd removed the trigger assembly last time I used it, to adjust the trigger depth. When I disassembled it this afternoon to see if I could figure out what was going on, I noticed that when I'd re-inserted the trigger assembly I'd let it pinch the spring loaded lever mechanism (yes, there is a spring) that is forced up by the follower button to lock the slide open. Consequently it was jammed in the down position. I just needed to remove the trigger and (after cleaning everything thoroughly), reinstall it correctly without pinching the tip of the lever. Works perfectly now.