problem with p-44 cylinder

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
salerno

problem with p-44 cylinder

Post by salerno »

I recently took my scuba tank to have it filled. when I picked it up the guy said "we cold filled it, so more air " and I said okay and left. I should have asked more questions as when I filled my cylinder for the first time it started leaking thru the monometer glass on the end of the cylinder. live and learn I guess. anyway does anyone rebuild these cylinders. this one is still good until 1/20. anyone else experience this?
Ricardo

Re: problem with p-44 cylinder

Post by Ricardo »

If I understand the term correctly, a "cold fill" means they did it the right way: slowly filling the tank, letting it cool and then topping it off to the right pressure. A "hot fill" is when they fill it quickly and don't top it off after it cools. A hot fill results in a drop in pressure when the tank goes down to room temperature. If I'm right, then, a cold fill should not have resulted in excessive pressure, which I imagine is what you suspect caused the leak in your gun cylinder. Maybe it just broke on its own.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Did you check the gauge when filling the cylinder or did you judt let it equalise? if the latter then it could have been damaged, otherwise it's a coincidence. I had mine repaired at FWB in Germany but a new cylinder will only cost a fraction more as you can bet a gauge is €50 at least, same for labour plus shipping to Europe. New cylinder cost me €180
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ricardo is right. Did you ask Pilk if they would fix your gun? How about your pal Neal Stepp at ISS, or whoever sold you the gun? It's not an unusual problem with a PCP.

Or as our bros would say, "Ain't no thang!"

If you belonged to PRGC you could get your tank filled free at the range.

Also, Int'l Pistol both days this weekend (that includes Air) and you needn't be a member to enter.
salerno

Post by salerno »

Just today I received the same advice, from another source, as given by tenmetrepeter. yes, I did just let it equalize, and yes that likely caused the leak. So question answered and I will just screw on another cylinder and continue to thoroughly enjoy my P-44 short. thanks, and I hope this post can serve as a lesson to other pcp shooters.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"yes, I did just let it equalize, and yes that likely caused the leak"

Nah, it was just a tired O-ring.

This serves as no "lesson" to other shooters.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Rover wrote:"yes, I did just let it equalize, and yes that likely caused the leak"

Nah, it was just a tired O-ring.

This serves as no "lesson" to other shooters.
Would you say the same about the same mistake with a 300 bar tank?
Rover

Post by Rover »

So you're saying that "letting it equalize" at normal pressures (as we do with EVERY fill at my club) wrecked his cylinder? And this is a "mistake" or "problem"?

Even a 300BAR tank would be unlikely to cause a problem, but in his case would cause the maiming and death of many innocent churchgoers?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Rover wrote:So you're saying that "letting it equalize" at normal pressures (as we do with EVERY fill at my club) wrecked his cylinder? And this is a "mistake" or "problem"?

Even a 300BAR tank would be unlikely to cause a problem, but in his case would cause the maiming and death of many innocent churchgoers?
YES. I am saying that filling a gun cylinder rated at 200 bar with a 232 bar or 300 bar tank without stopping at the rated pressure is risky or dangerous respectively. At the very least it goes against manufacturers instructions. You know it to be true but I do understand your sense of humour.
Any 200 bar cylinder accidentally filled to 300 bar should be scrapped.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"YES. I am saying that filling a gun cylinder rated at 200 bar with a 232 bar or 300 bar tank without stopping at the rated pressure is risky or dangerous respectively."

"did you judt let it equalise? if the latter then it could have been damaged, otherwise it's a coincidence" Your quotes.

As Ricardo said, the shop did everything correctly and Salerno checked nothing. How old is the cylinder?

Move along, nothing to see here.