Dimensions of bench for Olympic AP, RF? Height?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Dimensions of bench for Olympic AP, RF? Height?

Post by atomicgale »

What are the exact dimensions of the bench used for Olympic AP, RF? Specifically the HEIGHT?

Are dimensions set by regulation? If not, can it vary?

Any ideas for constructing a "home-build" pistol bench out of 2x4's, plywood, et cetera, for AP practice in my driveway?

THANKS!!!
David Levene

Re: Dimensions of bench for Olympic AP, RF? Height?

Post by David Levene »

As a pistol shooter it's sections 6 & 8 of the ISSF Rule Book that will be of most interest to you.

In this case:-
6.4.7.2 a)
Firing Point Equipment.
Firing points must be equipped with:
a) A bench or stand, 0.70 m – 1.00 m high;

and

6.4.10.b)
Range and Firing Point Standards for 10m Ranges
b) The nearest edge of the bench or stand must be placed 10 cm forward of the 10m firing line

and

6.4.11.10.b)
Range and Firing Point Standards for 25m Pistol Ranges
Each firing point must be provided with the following equipment:
a) A removable or adjustable bench or table, approximately 0.50 m x 0.60 m in size and 0.70 m to 1.00 m high
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

Thank you David!

On a practical matter, does anyone know the dimensions of the pistol benches ACTUALLY USED at:
1. Anniston Alabama - for Civilian Marksmanship Program
2. Fort Benning Georgia?

Living in South-east Tennessee, I may find myself at one of these competitions and try to "Replicate" match conditions in training. THANKS!!!
Christopher Miceli

Post by Christopher Miceli »

i shot at CMP this past weekend (craptastically i might add). One of the other shooters mentioned that ISSF doesn't let you stick your pistol case on the bench and rest against it.
Last edited by Christopher Miceli on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Christopher Miceli wrote:One of the other shooters mentioned that ISSF doesn't you stick your pistol case on the bench and rest against it.
Providing that the combined height of bench plus case is not more than 1m high then you're fine PROVIDING IT'S NOT IN A FINAL.

In a final you can't use a case but you can use a special support stand, but still within the 1m limit.

Rule 8.6.3
Athletes may place pistol support stands or boxes on the bench or table to rest their pistols between shots. The total height of the bench or table with a support stand or box on it may not exceed 1.00 m (see Rule 6.4.11.10, maximum bench height is 1.00 m). During Elimination or Qualification competitions, a pistol transport box (Rule 8.6.2) may be used as a pistol support stand, provided the total height of the bench or table plus the box does not exceed 1.00 m. During Finals, a pistol transport box may not be used as a pistol support stand.
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

I’m a tall guy, and I can tell you the height of a table makes a big difference by the end of a shoot. Between having to lean over to load, and the extra distance I have to lift, it does not seem like it would matter but I can tell you without measuring if I was using a low tables or a taller one by how bad my back is screaming the day after a competition.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Different pistol rest rules for the Final.
Really??
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

TenMetrePeter wrote:Different pistol rest rules for the Final.
Really??
Yes, the same as it has been since January 2013.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

David Levene wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:Different pistol rest rules for the Final.
Really??
Yes, the same as it has been since January 2013.
Barking.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

"PISTOL SUPPORT STAND"?

What is best equipment available as a Pistol Support Stand? Anything commercially available? Or are these all home-brew contraptions?

Also, what is best recommendation for support for loading-phase-to-ready-position?

THANKS!!!
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I have seen a commercial stand but don't know who makes it. I just use a piece of 3x3 aluminium channel with some rubber glued to the top face.

I don't understand what you mean by "support for loading-phase-to-ready-position"
Jon Math

Post by Jon Math »

I use a guitar foot stand when I shoot a free pistol or AP off a short table. The sport pistols, that load with magazines, table height does not seem to bother me. I shoot at the club level, so things are semi formal—I imagine at a more elite/controlled level I might not be allowed to use my stand.