Fair Rate for Individual Coaching in US?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Fair Rate for Individual Coaching in US?

Post by Gwhite »

I help my club with basic pistol marksmanship classes, and I also help coach a collegiate team. I have a "Level 2" coaching certification from USA Shooting and the NRA. The team I work with has won multiple Women's National Collegiate Championships, so I don't consider myself a rank amateur at coaching effectively. Although that position is "paid" for various legal reasons, it's far less than minimum wage given the time I put in, and I donate all my "salary" back to the team. I am constantly learning, and also don't believe for one minute that I have all the answers.

In the last basic pistol class I taught, the student I worked with in the live fire session did exceptionally well, and is really hooked. She wants to learn to shoot competitively, and has asked if I can coach her. She has offered to compensate me for my time & effort.

I have no idea what a reasonable fee would be, and was wondering if anyone has any experience (from either student or coach perspective) on the going rate for private coaching.

Is $20/hour too little? $40/hour too much?

Thanks for any feedback!
Ricardo

Re: Fair Rate for Individual Coaching in US?

Post by Ricardo »

I've seen piano or guitar lessons starting at $45.00/hour. I have also tutored private high school kids for $100.00/hour, so... there's a bit of a range. But $20.00 is way too little, I would think.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Remember, for each one hour of hands-on coaching, you have to:
  • Prepare a lesson plan
  • Drive to the range
  • Set up
  • Coach for an hour
  • Clean up
  • Drive home
  • Follow up on the lesson
Don't undercut yourself on price.

Specifically, I think that $20/hour is wayyyyy too little, and $40/hour is too little.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Thanks for the perspective. You are right about the prep time.

I was approached a year or so ago about coaching, and had suggested $50 an hour/ The guy vanished instantly without another word. Probably just as well...
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gwhite wrote:Thanks for the perspective. You are right about the prep time.

I was approached a year or so ago about coaching, and had suggested $50 an hour/ The guy vanished instantly without another word. Probably just as well...
You dodged a bullet (heh).

If you are interested in freelancing, I suggest https://clientsfromhell.net as a regular read.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have no plans to make this a regular activity. It's something useful & interesting to do in my retirement. The student who approached me wants a lot more of my time than I'm happy devoting just for free. The big issue at this point is that my Club's operating policies are geared towards instructors teaching basic pistol classes. Because that would usually be for non-members, they require $1M in liability insurance. There is no way I plan on coaching enough to cover what that would cost. I would normally only be coaching club members, in which case the Club's insurance should cover both of us, but that will require a change to the rules.

This particular student is really interested in competition, which is my forte. The Club is constantly getting shot up by people with centerfire pistols who have NO idea what they are doing. I've considered running clinics for those folks, just to reduce the wear & tear on the Club's facilities. Using that as a lever should help get the rules about insurance tweaked.

I've certainly done a fair amount of informal coaching for free, although the occasional student has given me a gift card for my efforts. Some people won't really listen if it's free. They don't value anything they don't have to pay for. For that reason alone, I figured I would want to charge a small fee for the centerfire clinics. Of course, if I give all the money to the Club, I suspect they won't complain about the insurance...
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gwhite, you're absolutely right that most people don't value something if it's free. The past few years when I've done clinics, it's been $25/person, with all proceeds going back to the pistol program.

Another tidbit that I've learned from actual freelancers: when you donate your time, effort, and expertise "for the cause", send a full bill, and note a 100% discount on it. That ensures that your work is valued at market, not "free". (Yes, I'm fully aware why this may not always be practical, but it's a good mental model.)

In short: your expertise and your time have a lot of value; price them accordingly.

Note to the general readership: I am not talking about volunteering with shooting clubs, teams, nor organizations here. I (and Gwhite) volunteer many, many hours in support of the shooting sports. In this thread, I'm talking specifically about a freelance coach accurately setting his/her rates on the open market, and doing so in a way that provides value for both coachee and coach.
Marc Orvin

Post by Marc Orvin »

I know of a pretty good young rifle shooter charging over $100 per hour for coaching and folks are happy to pay for it. I don't think it is unreasonable. I've seen the results, and I would say it was worth it.

$50 per hour is too cheap. As John said, you dodged a bullet when that guy disappeared when you told him that price.

Never sell yourself short.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Thank you all for your input. I think it's a great discussion, and it's been very helpful.

Although I think $50-$75 is a "fair" price, I'm concerned that for a beginning shooter, it may represent too large an investment. I want to encourage people to shoot (and shoot well), not price them out of the market. People who are already hooked and have invested large sums of money in equipment & ammo might understand the value of an occasional expensive coaching session. Beginners who are just getting into it may have a hard time swallowing a "fair" price.

I may want to start with an "introductory" rate for people just learning the basics. I have an electronic trainer (Noptel), and was already planning on charging extra for any sessions using that.

For the student who approached me recently, I will give her a few "free samples" while we sort out the insurance issues. I think that problem will go away once she becomes a Club member.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Give them a few "free samples" to get them "hooked", eh?

You're a pusher, just like Marc - creating a new generation of addicts.

Sick, the lot of you.

I'd be ashamed to be associated with you but, hey, I'm an addict.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Uh oh... I've been found out...

Does it help that I'm an addict too?
hurt

Post by hurt »

Maybe there is Shooter Rehab somewhere? Spouses would pony up for it...i am sure! Think of the long term saving$!! Still...Rehab is for QUITTERS!
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Gwhite wrote:Uh oh... I've been found out...

Does it help that I'm an addict too?
Despicable.

SMDH.