Is there a load recomendation for .32 S&W long match guns

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trboat

Is there a load recomendation for .32 S&W long match guns

Post by trboat »

Hello all,

I have just received a Sako Triace and wish to purchase a small lot of commercial ammo to start working with the pistol.
Is there a load recommendation for this and other match type pistols in .32?
The barrel is ".32 S&W long Wadcutter.

I am primarily interested in not battering the slide and just getting a soft enough load all other issues set aside.
Is there some analogous type of load constraint I must follow similar to the low velocity limit on my .22's?

Just now I am looking at the Fiocchi 32 S&W Long 100gr as a starting point which has published as follows:
100grain, 730 fps, 150 ft pounds at muzzle.

Thanks all
Last edited by trboat on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Re: Is there a load recomendation for .32 S&W long match gun

Post by David M »

Pretty much a standard target load in .32SW Long is a 98g lead HBWC that runs between
750-810 fps.
A lighter wadcutter does exist at 85-90g and they run a little bit faster.
Any of the factory lead target wadcutter loads will be OK.
trboat

Post by trboat »

David,
Thank you for that I will order some of the Fiocchi then to get started.
ruig

Post by ruig »

All that glitters is not gold.

Be carefull. Buy not so much before good ransom test.

25€ per 50 pcs commercial ammo.

6€ per 50 pcs self made.

You also can try factory Lapua 83 grain is light and precise ammo for about 1 Euro per 1 shot :-))

P.S. Two words about fiocchi. It won't hold 10 from my Hämmerli Sp20.

P.P.S.: I also tried Geco. Good, soft, $$$ and precise ammo
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Lapua is the best factory ammo. Pricey but accurate.
trboat

Post by trboat »

I know I know....
I was already whinging about the cost compared to my beloved .22

To shoot this much I will probably find myself on that perilous path to reloading the perfect .32
I picked up a couple hundred rounds- I will save the brass...lol
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

There is a cornucopia of reloading info here on the 32 S&W long colt. Good luck wading thru it.
divingin

Post by divingin »

trboat wrote:I know I know....
I picked up a couple hundred rounds- I will save the brass...lol
I broke down and purchased a bunch of 32SWL brass from Starline. Not so worried about losing that odd piece of brass now (though the extent I go to to find lost pieces may belie that...)
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I started the process of learning to reload the 32 long almost a year ago. Have gotten much free advice on this and the BE forum, and have learned much. I have The wall for GSP, and Ransom Rest with a Lab-radar to help. In my limited experience, the biggest issue with this cartridge is accuracy for the long line. Not as difficult for 25y.

The problems seem to arise due to the diameter and twist of most of the Euro 32 barrels and the available bullets to reload. For my current guns, a .314 HBWC bullet is mandatory and difficult to find.

I use H&N for the LL, and with a couple exceptions, these are the only bullet I have found that will shoot well at 50, including the factory stuff. One exception to H&N, in my experience, is with certain Speer Plinker HBWCs. H&N bullets are an actual .314 diameter. The Speer, although advertised at .314 are actually .3125 or so. I have "bumped" these bullets up to a size and shape that duplicates the H&N both in appearance and accuracy. H&N bullets can be difficult to find in the US.

I am also finding the standard size Speer Plinker works good in barrels with a tighter diameter (.312 or so). Dave Wilson made some of these barrels in the past, and my understanding is that the Matchgun MG4 comes with such a diameter.

I currently load 1.3 gr of WST for the SL, and 1.6-1.7 for the LL.

I have found that Lapua brass is the best and most consistent, Fiocchi 2nd, and Federal almost not worth reloading, haven't tried anything else

I have also found that sizing the cases is very important ( I now use Lee +3 sizing die) as is getting a precise amount of power (made difficult due to the small amount used). I understand that others have good luck by nor resizing, but didn't work was weak for me.

The cost of reloading now is quite reasonable, maybe 11c a cartridge or so., and they will generally hold close to 2" at 50 (in the RR).