Suggestions for beginner summer biathlon rifle

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

galt11

Suggestions for beginner summer biathlon rifle

Post by galt11 »

Good Afternoon,

A friend and I are thinking of trying out some summer biathlon races next year and I would be willing to purchase a rifle we could use for those matches as I believe I could also use it for shooting smallbore and just single loading it. Can anyone make some suggestions for what makes and models to keep an eye out for? I would love to get and Anschutz, but that is just too much money to "give it a try" for a few races each summer. Thanks for your help.

Adam
crasher

Re: Suggestions for beginner summer biathlon rifle

Post by crasher »

We've started plenty of people on the Savage MKII FVT. It has peep sights and comes with a 5 shot magazine.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVT

Every now and then, Clayton at Eastern Sierra Armory has a biathlon rifle stock for sale that is inletted for the Savage.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Marlin 2000 was a great starter rifle, and they had a biathlon kit that allowed you to add a 5 round mag.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Snow Leopard

Post by Snow Leopard »

I would also suggest the Savage MkII, as it can be built into a very respectable citizen biathlon rifle for less than $1,500 complete with everything. I built the pictured rifle and a near twin to it for my son and myself for about $900 each, as pictured, including rifle, sights, stock, sling, etc.

The one thing I will probably do this winter is swap out the Savage trigger for a Rifle Basix trigger, though I have not had any issues with the factory Accutrigger. We have found that the rifles will shoot under an inch at 50 meters with good ammunition.
galt11

Post by galt11 »

That is a very nice looking rifle there.
dcooper

Post by dcooper »

Jesus the image is huge...
Ranb

Post by Ranb »

A Savage MK II FVT is $3-400. Any changes other than the stock, sights, sling and mag holder?

I made a target rifle from a MK I fvt by attaching a aftermarket wood stock and anschutz rail. It worked well enough until I was able to get my hands on a KK300. It shot a bit under half inch at 50 yards with CCI Std Vel.

Ranb
spektr

Post by spektr »

I shoot a MK1 FVT and they are superb for the money. The list of upgrades is short but one should really consider dropping in a Rifle Basix trigger. It really improves the feel of the gun..... No cutting drilling needed, just 30 minutes with a screwdriver.
sk8z27

Post by sk8z27 »

I posted in another topic, but i suppose this option would work well. the savage mk II FVT with this stock. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/29817 ... d-laminate

Where are there summer biathlon races by the way. i'm loosely involved in the wisconsin biathlon and blackhawk clubs in southern wisconsin. Do they do rollerski biathlon anywhere in the midwest? I'd really be interested in that.

rich