New Pardini SP w/ integrated picatinny on barrel shroud.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zanemoseley

New Pardini SP w/ integrated picatinny on barrel shroud.

Post by zanemoseley »

I've been considering the purchase of a SP .22/.32 Bullseye combo. One of the main issues as you guys know is mounting rings for a red dot especially on the .32acp since the rings are known to slip. I was checking on options today, I spoke with both Larry's and BME, both said they no longer make scope mounts for the Pardini. Larry suggested I call PardiniUSA as they might offer rails.

So I spoke with Vladimir at PardiniUSA. He said they were about to release an updated SP for Bullseye use with an integrated picatinny rail in the barrel shroud. It wasn't clear how far back the rail would extend however he did mention possibly having to use 2 scope rings on the front half of the red dot so sounds like it wouldn't extend as far as the old Larry's rail. He mentioned this would get the dot lower than if using a rail adapter. My only concern without seeing more info is possible balance issues if it requires the dot to be mounted too far forward, some of this could be offset by removing some of the 6 counterweights. On the plus side this will allow using a dot for each caliber so you won't have to juggle adjustments as much, just your standard 25 to 50 yard adjustments. Plus you won't have to buy an additional $200 worth of rails and possibly have to have a brand new gun drilled & tapped.

Vladimir did seem a bit defensive though. When I mentioned scope rings slipping he blamed it on people using the wrong scope rings (not Pardini rings) however I swear I've heard of issues using their rings as well. I also asked him if there had been any adjustment in the slightly oversized bore on their .32acp for the new model, he stated it was a propitiatory tapered bore however it seems if it were tapered when people slugged their bore it would measure the smallest diameter but I hear most barrels measure out close to .314".

Anyway, its good to see Pardini is improving their product for the US bullseye market. I'll be eagerly awaiting pictures and reviews from early adopters.
mr alexander

Re: New Pardini SP w/ integrated picatinny on barrel shroud.

Post by mr alexander »

zanemoseley wrote:

He said they were about to release an updated SP for Bullseye use with an integrated picatinny rail in the barrel shroud. It wasn't clear how far back the rail would extend however he did mention possibly having to use 2 scope rings on the front half of the red dot so sounds like it wouldn't extend as far as the old Larry's rail. He mentioned this would get the dot lower than if using a rail adapter. My only concern without seeing more info is possible balance issues if it requires the dot to be mounted too far forward, some of this could be offset by removing some of the 6 counterweights.
zanemoseley,

I would like to see the integrated Picatinny rail run from the muzzle all the way to the very back end of the pistol. This would then allow one to place the red dot sight at the balance point that works best for them. Yes, removing the 6 counterweights could help with balance issues. But what do you do if this is not enough?

I prefer having the weight of the pistol balanced back into the hand. Other shooters favor a muzzle heavy feel. A full length rail would accommodate everybody!
AlexFromPardini

Post by AlexFromPardini »

Actually based on the measurements we have taken, having a scope mounted at the front brings some of the balance from the muzzle (becasue of the weights) back to around the area of the trigger.

If you remove the weights all together, then the balance will be a little further back.
Alexander Chichkov
USA Shooting Team
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

It seems like it would be relatively straight forward to attach a sight rail to the shrouds on an existing SP/HP? Attach from the front sight with another screw back an inch or so. Then, one could determine the length they wanted.
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Right up front, I am a fan of the Pardini BE edition and shoot both 22 and 32ACP. It is a very good system, but not perfect IMHO.

The barrel with a short Picatinny shroud is a post hoc fix for American BE shooters to solve the wandering scope ring issue (scope rings do not stay fixed with the recoil impulse of the 32 ACP because the gripping surface, the narrow groove on topside of pistol's frame, are insufficient to fix rings tight). Who would have guessed, especially with 60-grain bullet of the ACP versus 88 or 98 grs with the S&W L caliber?

The best design correction would be incorporating a Picatinny rail into the pistols frame, where the cross-slot feature would forever fix the problem of scope rings failing to hold position under recoil. It could be designed to still use iron sights but have the option of steadfast scope mounting. Maybe sometime.

I've learned to live with scope wandering by ignoring it. I only use the 32 in 2700s; otherwise I shoot a 45 for centerfire 1800s. I have my front scope ring positioned all the way to the rear of the frame groove (see image) which more or less enables me to reposition a moved scope to same starting position. So, when the rings slip, i.e., move about 0.5-inches forward under recoil (only after shooting a 90-round match), the zero isn't significantly changed (but I re-position and re-tighten rings after one match). The rings are Warne low mount Picatinny rings, internal cross-slot bar removed, bottom of feet filed to sharpen inner edge and thence grip tighter (?).

I used to use the 32 for all centerfire stages in 1800 matches, but discovered my 45 skills suffered. However, the little 32 is so fun to shoot in a 2700. Honest be fair, I probably wouldn't buy the 32 today (but I am keeping mine).

I've tried mounting both rings on the front side of the Matchdot II, which had an unexpected consequence. While the pistol was setting on a rest (and I was fiddling with a chronograph and notes), a sudden strong wind gust blew the pistol off the rest, off the range table, where to my utter, cringing horror, it banged off the concrete floor in a sicking thud. (Loud cursing). Remarkably, the gun landed on the bottom rear corner of the grip, cracking it; otherwise, the pistol suffered no cosmetic damage (a few scratches on scope sight-pattern selection knob). Can live with that, but note the new grip.

The unexpected part: having both rings on the front of the red dot and the force of the impact caused the Matchdot II to unscrew (the controls that were on top of the sight were now on the right side). Cursing, cursing, and more cursing. Luckly, I did not lose nitrogen and was able to retighten front part of the scope by turning it counterclockwise.

Maybe accidents this are a senior shooter issue. I don't know. It wasn't even a windy day; hell, it was morning. I heard not the sound of tornado, thunder, or crashing plane; may be the gust was a random puff, albeit a strong one. Pistol netherworld, dipnet
Attachments
Pardini SP Bullseye_hortongrip_sm.jpg
davekp

Post by davekp »

Why couldn't you buy another scope ring, cut the upper part off to make a "block" to install on the rib to prevent the rings from sliding under recoil?
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

I've not had any issues with my dot sight rings slipping. Couldn't a competent gunsmith modify either the groove or the rings?

My issue has been when I switch from 22 to 32, I need to make both windage and elevation adjustments. Doable, but too complex at my age (LOL) do any of you have this issue? Or am I the only one?
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

Yes, another scope ring might do it. However, when I first reported the problem to Emil in 2014, he kindly sent another set of scope rings issued when I bought the pistol. I put another ring on the front side and filed the bottom feet of these rings to make them as sharp as possible for tight gripping; did not work.

Unfortunately, there is not enough thickness to the top of the frame to do any machining--a slip could ruin your frame. The pistol was designed for iron sight shooting by international shooters and as such, it is the standard.

Another ring set I experimented with are the Vortex Hunter 30mm rings, which are cheaper and made of aluminum. But after filing the feet sharp and installing, these slipped too. One could try some of the very wide low mount tactical rings but these usually run from ca $40 to $100+ per pair; but make sure you buy low rings. However, these may not hold too and feet clearly need filing. Several brands are much wider than the steel Warne Picatinny rings I currently use. Some shooters use the 19mm dovetail rings made for CZ, but you have to call Warne and tell them you are using these for the Pardini and they'll send you 2 rings that do not have a tab meant to hold the rings on CZ bolt action rifles. They don't hold either.

For an example, see: https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Ta ... e+rings%22

You can send your rings to Pardini and they will "sharpen" the feet for you. dipnet
Chris

Post by Chris »

On my Pardini I use the weaver top mount #49030.
http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases ... top_mount/

The modification is simple and takes about a minute with a file. If you look at the photo in the above link at the ring on the left. The part that needs modification is the bottom left part. (or the bottom right corner of the ring on the right) You will need to file the bottom so you have a point on the inside. You can tell when you have a point because all of the black will be filed off from the bottom of the base. For 22 it works really good. I do not have a 32 to know if these will hold up but I am certain they hold up better than the stock rings. What I would consider doing if I had a 32 were to buy 2 sets and use 3 of the 4 rings to hold my dot on. This will give you 50% more grip on the pistol.

I also think using these you could swap out one dot with another by just removing the clamps on top and this way you could swap a dot set up for 22 with one set up for 32. Since the bases do not move I think your zero should be intact. I know I can take off the full set of rings to shoot iron sights and when I replace them my zero is right on.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

I had my local gun smith custom fit a set of rings for a 30mm match dot. No more sliding around.
jbzeus

Post by jbzeus »

First, I love my Pardini in .22 and .32ACP. It is a fine machine.

I had no trouble with the .22. However, I did have trouble with the .32ACP rings holding. I tried all the solutions I could find discussed here and elsewhere. The only thing that worked for me was the the rail from Larry's guns which I think is no longer available. All the talk about sharp edges on ring mounts did not work for me but I understand it does work for others and I have also heard some have used three rings with success.

I enjoy my Pardinis and recommend them. If Pardini USA comes out with a rail system I hope it is a full length rail.

In fairness we should always remember (from my understanding) this gun was not designed for the American Bullseye market so we should be gentle in our complaints as we are trying to use a tool that was not designed for the application.
Amanda4461

Post by Amanda4461 »

Hello folks,
I shoot a Pardini SP that I bought from Larry's Guns on 5/16/2011.It has a nice weaver or Picatinny rail on top, which is the way it came when I bought it. Are these rails no longer available, or were they something Larry did, that no one else did? I keep seeing all these comments about red dots moving from recoil, especially on the .32 models, and just wonder what the issue is. Mine has over 50,000 rounds through it, and it has the same Ultradot on the rail that was put on it when I picked it up new. It has never lost Zero. I shoot Wolf MT or ME in it, and it easily puts 10 rounds into the X-ring of the standard 50 yard bullseye target. CCI SV can't touch Wolf in this gun, or even Federal 711-B. Serial number is B13xxx. This is my favorite pistol outside of a 1911. It just works, always. Doesn't hurt that it out-shoots anything anybody else shoots at the local ranges:-)
Thanks for educating me on the problems of the latest gen of SP-22! I would like a .32 version if it was set up like mine, with the rail.
Amanda
Attachments
Pardini SP-22 wUltraDot MatchDot 30mm 005.JPG
Pardini SP-22 wUltraDot MatchDot 30mm 005.JPG (35.28 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Gregbenner

Post by Gregbenner »

My LGS buddy is making extended rails that will replace the front sights. That way, I won't have to change sights when I switch from 22 to 32.