Leaky AT safe to use ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GKU

Leaky AT safe to use ?

Post by GKU »

It's been awhile since I've shot my Morini 162ei and the 2 AT has leaky front gauges on them.

One has a slower leak and can I safely fill it to 200 bars to shoot till my new one I ordered arrives ?

Also will it be worth sending them in for fixing, they'll expire in 5 years.

Thanks, Greg
Coolmeester

Re: Leaky AT safe to use ?

Post by Coolmeester »

GKU wrote:It's been awhile since I've shot my Morini 162ei and the 2 AT has leaky front gauges on them.

One has a slower leak and can I safely fill it to 200 bars to shoot till my new one I ordered arrives ?

Also will it be worth sending them in for fixing, they'll expire in 5 years.

Thanks, Greg
It's safe.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
Frenzy81

Post by Frenzy81 »

Don't stand in front of them while filling.

Treat them like you would treat the gun - only point in safe directions and you should be fine.

Is the 10 year rule enforced strictly where you live (and shoot)? If so you can consider buying new cylinders, instead of fixing them. But check the prices before deciding. In Norway the rule is that you're allowed to use it as long as there's no visible damages on the cylinder, even if the age > 10 yrs.

You could empty the cylinder and try to fix the gauges. Perhaps they're not tightened properly, or need some sealing. I also think I've seen gauge replacements from certain manufacturers, if they're available for your gun you can probably replace them yourself. You'll find pictures of cylinders with gauges removed in these forums.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Fix and forget. Never mind the ten year rule.
GKU

Post by GKU »

Thanks guys !

If I could just fix one of the lecky ATs that would be a set with the new one that's coming.

I've tried looking at/in forum on how to's, but nothing on DIY Morini AT gauge seal replacing.
If someone has a link I'd appreciate one, thanks !

This is how far I got into the AT after replacing the green seal that Fransico sent me many years ago, thanks Francisco !
I'm unable to go any further than this and can't seem to be able to get to the gauge seal(s) that's leaking.

~ Greg
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Unfortunately, other than determining that the gauge leaked internally, I went no further. If I could have convinced myself that the leak was the seal between the gauge and the cylinder, I would have removed the gauge & replaced the seal. I looked into replacement gauges, and they cost a major fraction of what a new cylinder did, so it wasn't worth the hassle.

The gauge shown is one of the really old ones without a needle. Even if you can get it fully disassembled, I have no idea if you can get parts for them any more. The cylinder is presumably over 10 years old. The factory would have no interest is supplying spare parts for a cylinder that technically isn't supposed to be in service anymore.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"The cylinder is presumably over 10 years old. The factory would have no interest is supplying spare parts for a cylinder that technically isn't supposed to be in service anymore."

The poster states the cylinder is five years old. He apparently doesn't care if it is repaired to "original" as long as the repair is cheap.

Send it to Pilk for a quote on the repair.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Rover wrote:"The cylinder is presumably over 10 years old. The factory would have no interest is supplying spare parts for a cylinder that technically isn't supposed to be in service anymore."

The poster states the cylinder is five years old. He apparently doesn't care if it is repaired to "original" as long as the repair is cheap.

Send it to Pilk for a quote on the repair.
I'm may be confused then. The photo shows a cylinder with an old style gauge, and a 20 year life stamped on it. They haven't made either of those in a lot longer than 5 years. I suspect he is using the 20 year life, in which case they are actually 15 years old. That would be consistent with both the date stamp and the gauge.
GKU

Post by GKU »

Yes, Gwhite that is correct !

Thanks m1963 and Gwhite,

I see ........ good advice is priceless ........... will do.
I don't need 2 cylinder at the moment, don't think I'm going to try and compete anymore.
I'll wait a year or 2 then buy a second one new don't want them both to expire at the sametime.

Bought the Morini from the late Don Nygord back in the early 2002ish, thanks for looking.

I change out the cracked frame back in 2013 compliments of Morini Competition Arm SA/Francesco with a personal factory worker Matteo Gaili to help me along, all free of any charges in agreements that I'd send them back the old frame.

10 shot @ 10M ........ back then.

ATB ~ Greg
GKU

Post by GKU »

I received my new AT in today and slow filled 20 bars at a time to 200 bars.
It seems it reads a bit low about -12 bars compared to my trusty gauge on my CF tank.

Coming off of hand pumping I removed the fill assemble off of my Gehmann and added a male foster fitting. I could also place the Morini fill adapter directly into the DIN on my CF tank but choose not to bypass the rate restrictor on my hose setup. It would save on air but with a Omega SC air is not a problem. I also could fill direct off of the compressor, maybe a 2 minute top off ?

Crony shows Nygords at 485 fps average since to last tuning, I might bring it down to 470ish ?
Shot some today till it got late more shooting tomorrow, bang bang I'm shooting again .........

~ Greg
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The Morini gauges are not the most accurate. I have one cylinder that goes into the red when the gauge on my pump says it's barely at 200 bar. The low pressure lock-out also engages when I'm still in the green. I'd guess the gauge is ready about 30 bar too high.
GKU

Post by GKU »

It's not too bad and I can live with that.
I've recalibrated some gauges in the past by tweaking the inners.
It depends on the range of the reading first and then the pointer location second.

Forward or backing the gearing will affect the range at which the needle moves.
Afterwhich I calibrate the needle location up against a dependable gauge.

Also I have some 46 sleeves of Nygord pellets 4.49mm only ........ is there a market for them, if I decide to sell how much do they go for ?
But, I'm keeping 22 sleeves of lot #12641 that shoots out of my Morini like a laser.

~ Thanks ~ Greg
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Also I have some 46 sleeves of Nygord pellets"

WTF?
GKU

Post by GKU »

Yes Sir, I shot a lot back then ....... shots in a months time can easily turn into 1-3 tins in a day or so.
The 3 yellow sleeves in the back of the R10s are Nygords ...... the rest are in storage.

Lot #3187 & #12641 .....

edited:

~ Greg
Rover

Post by Rover »

Those Nygords are top of the line H&Ns in disguise (you know that), so they're nothing special except to collectors.

Maybe you should jack the price up for that reason (or PM me with a low-ball offer).
GKU

Post by GKU »

"Nygords are top of the line H&Ns"

How or where did you get this info ?
That's not what I was told.

........ some have already sold by silent auction.

Edited: only 0 sleeve available, to Olympic/qualified shooter prefered.
------------------------------------ SOLD OUT ------------------------------------

- Greg
Rover

Post by Rover »

I thought this was common knowledge. Don and a Canadian dealer both contracted with H&N to produce re-branded pellets for them. Who told you different?

BTW I knew Don. He lived not very far from me. I had shot with him and took a seminar with him, too.

So where's that low-ball offer for the pellets?