Walther KK500 trigger issue - firing on release

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobB

Walther KK500 trigger issue - firing on release

Post by RobB »

My KK500, bought last year, has developed a trigger issue. Occasionally (since last night about 1 every 10 shots) I pull the trigger, nothing happens until I release it, then it fires!
Any thoughts? Difficult to time your shot against pulse and end up holding way too long.

Unfortunately it started just as I started the last 100 yard card of the day yesterday at the British Championships at Bisley. First 2 scoring shots this morning at 50m both fired on release and I dropped 5 points. Not happy

Up until last night it's shot like a dream. Like to get it back that way.

Rob
Modena

Re: Walther KK500 trigger issue - firing on release

Post by Modena »

Assume it's not an electronic trigger?
RobB

Post by RobB »

Manual
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Rob,

that's unusual. It's quite common for triggers not to reset when the pressure is lifted, but that's normally down to insufficient weight/engagement. A delayed release makes me think that something is sticking, and tripping slowly. Perhaps something has got inside the mechanism, perhaps a nice bit of grit from Century?

If the Walther techs are still there, I'd say let the experts sort it.
RobB

Post by RobB »

Thanks Tim. Am having a close look at trigger now. Unfortunately the Walther guys left yesterday.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

This is the 3rd KK500 I've heard about with this issue.
My daughter's gun developed it during the National Championships. Walther replaced the entire trigger assy. after trying to adjust the sear release screws and other trys at fixing it.
On hers she would release the trigger fully and a fraction of a second it would go off.

She's put probably 2000+ rounds thru it since then with no problem. I'm not sure they figured out what the issue really is here.

This is a for sure contact Walther issue.
(They DO know about the problem)
RobB

Post by RobB »

Tightened the weight of the trigger and a few other grub screws (manual in German and google translate only goes so far).
No occurences on the last 2 100 yard cards (approx 60 shots).

It may be the trigger was too light.

Fingers crossed for rest of week

Rob
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Overtravel set too close?
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
RobB

Post by RobB »

Haven't been able to narrow it right down (difficult in middle of a week long championship) but trigger is now behaving itself. Another 200 rounds fired . Either the trigger was way too light or one of the other screws needed tightening.
tenring

Post by tenring »

I've experienced this with other triggers set to light.

Chad
imac

Post by imac »

Hi Rob

I have had the same issue..... Not much fun at all!!!!

I tried a number of things to sort issue out short term, I just increased the trigger pressure to maximum. it worked for awhile then it wouldn't cock. In between times I was in contact with the local agent and they did some investigating and found two possible issues.

1) the loading plate was first version and causing the trigger assembly to rock a tiny amount, or pressurise the trigger assembly causing it to change it behaviour.
2) trigger assembly fault

They changed both the trigger assembly and the loading plate and I have not had an issue since.

Hope this is helpful
RobB

Post by RobB »

Thanks imac.

I've changed the trigger pressure to alot higher than I had before (which was as it arrived from the factory). So far it's been ok.

I've resisted sending it back to the dealer I bought it from so far, given I'm in Southern England and Intershoot are in Northern Ireland and I shoot weekly. I think I'll have to get used to the heavier trigger and hope it doesn't fail again. Not quite what I expected from a rifle 1 year old. My Anschutz (now my sons) is 36 years old.....no issues.