FAS SP602

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SlartyBartFast

FAS SP602

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Local (ish) gun store has nine FAS SP602 and one SP607 pistol for sale. $CAN 595
I once looked into them and the new Chiappa version that is supposedly coming out. At the time I actually found a website that sold parts and springs for the 602. Now of course, I've spent two days looking and can't find the site again.
Wold I be setting myself up for trouble buying one of these pistols?
What questions should I ask, what things should I look for?
I was thinking the highest serial number with the nicest grip would be my first choice. From the photos, there are obvious model differences visible amongst the 602s. And I'm going to ask how many magazines come with each.
There are also a few older Walther GSPS for the same price.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Re: FAS SP602

Post by deadeyedick »

Buy the 607 before someone else gets the best pistol of the ten.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

deadeyedick wrote:Buy the 607 before someone else gets the best pistol of the ten.
Perhaps sight-unseen, never handled, that might be the wisest choice.
But from the photos available, a couple of the 602s look in top notch condition. And in threads I've read on the pistols, there seem to be a few that recommend the 602's trigger.
Including in this old thread from here:
http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=18850

Something else that makes me lean towards the 602, I've found spring/bumper kits and magazines (if the 602's serial number is high enough) are available:
http://www.dominoguns.it/index.php/comp ... l?Itemid=0
http://www.dominoguns.it/index.php/comp ... l?Itemid=0
- FAS SP607
scerir

Post by scerir »

I remember that my IGI-Domino 602 (in the '70s) was a very good pistol, with a good (clean and smooth) trigger. I do not know if the FAS 607 had a similar trigger.
There are some more informations (about spare parts etc.) here
http://www.ladomino.com/index.php/page/ ... o-fas.html
Attachments
domino.jpg
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

scerir wrote:I remember that my IGI-Domino 602 (in the '70s) was a very good pistol, with a good (clean and smooth) trigger. I do not know if the FAS 607 had a similar trigger.
The early 607s had the same trigger feel as the FAS 602 as, despite the fact that the trigger and hammer boxes became joined together, the internal components were the same.
At some stage between 2000 and 2010 they changed the hammer box components and completely changed the feel, IMHO for the worse.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

scerir, thanks for the photo. Saw there was a serial number and went back to the vendors website to see if the serial numbers on their pistols were visible.

For four of them the serial numbers are visible. Interestingly, they're all very close in number (ending in 1, 3, 6, 7) and in the high 10,000 range. Meaning the magazines I found would work.

Interestingly, those were all black. Just like your photo.

The remainder have blueish uppers and frames with black front barrel shrouds. The wings to operate the slide/bolt are MUCH smaller as well. On these, the serial number must be on the reverse side.
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have owned both 602 and 607 pistols and still own the 607. I sold the 602 not because it was a bad pistol but because the level of trigger adjustability made the 607 a better one.

I hope that the opinions given to the OP who is keen to make a choice between 602 and 607 are being given by people who have owned both models or at very least have shot ( and adjusted ) both extensively.

Attached is a picture of my 607. The trigger shoe is vastly different to the 602 and the trigger is adjustable in first stage length and weight, second stage weight and sear movement right up to the most crisp release you could imagine as well as trigger shoe position fore and aft. The 602 did not have this range of adjustments.
Attachments
IMG_2199.JPG
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

I own and still occasionally shot my 602, serial # in the 3000 range, so its not new, bought it about 10 years ago used, and put at least 10,000 rds thru it, still working well, now its my backup gun since I acquired a used Pardini SPE.

Parts may still be able to obtain from factory, I order some back when I got the 602, not sure if they still have any in stock, the only part that broke after several year of use is the firing pin, which I do have a spare, the broken one still work, it just stick out a bit from the bolt face. The recoil buffer will wearout/disintegrated after a few year, but you can cut a piece of rubber and glue it to the holder.

Magazine are hard to find, the 2 I own are slightly different, one of them is a bit difficult to chamber the first round, after that it feed and eject just fine. Mine doesn't like CCI SV will occasionally FTE, shot best with Federal 711A.

I think I know the dealer you're referring to, I have bought stuffs from them before, chances are if the ad didn't mention it comes with 2 mag, you'll get only one, but it never hurt to ask, and if you can go to their store and examine the pistols, so much better.

FAS/Domino 602 is an excellent pistol with nice roll trigger, balance well with just the right front heavy feel, while it don't have all the latest target pistol's features, but for the price that dealer is asking its well worth considering.
scerir

Post by scerir »

BTW, a file about "stripping" the trigger/hammer unit (pdf attached)

In the 70s I had problems (maybe because of some "hard" or wrong cleaning) with the muzzle of my Igi-Domino SP602, and the accuracy was terrible. So, check the muzzle (and the barrel) carefully!
Attachments
STRIPPING_HAMMER_UNIT_FAS_SP602_CF603(1).pdf
(650.35 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
scerir

Post by scerir »

In the late 70s Cesare Morini fabricated special barrels (8 helical grooves, instead of the usual 6) for the 602.
Attachments
domi.jpg
domi.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 5590 times
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

scerir, is that two different shrouds in the picture? And the little red things? Dry fire plugs?

I emailed IGI/Domino at info@ladomino.com because I found that their website has links to manuals for the various pistols, but the links are broken.

Got back a message that they're on vacation till the 28th.

How I wish I was on vacation still. I would have been out to see these pistols in person and, if one felt right in my hand, would have probably bought one on the spot (spares and all the rest be damned). I simply feel uneasy about buying a pistol over the internet/mail-order. Particularly a used pistol of a type I've never held before. But maybe I just have to take the plunge and risk having to pay the shipping to return it if not satisfied.

To muddy the waters, I've found a Hammerli Xsse ($675) with three magazines for sale. Maybe just do a serious upgrade of my plinker instead of jumping to competition pistols...
- FAS SP607
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Hammerli excuse is just a slightly better grade of plinkers. Just buy the bloody FAS/ domino. The only bits you need worry about are the buffers which you can cut from any reasonable pvc sheet and the firing pin - one of our club members turned one in a drill press from a concrete nail with a file. Quit dithering! you are starting to sound like Paul Martin!

FYI I have a 602 with a serial number in the 300 range still works fine!

Dr Jim
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

SlartyBartFast wrote:....To muddy the waters, I've found a Hammerli Xsse ($675) with three magazines for sale. Maybe just do a serious upgrade of my plinker instead of jumping to competition pistols...
The Xesse with a Nill or Rink grip is an excellent shooter. If you prefer a lighter weight pistol, check it out.
Last edited by slofyr on Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

slofyr wrote:The Xesse with a Nill or Rink grip is an excellent shooter. If you prefer a lighter weight pistol, checkout it out.
Well I was impressed by the weight and feel of the Xessse when a club member let me have a look and feel of theirs. Didn't get a chance to fire it though.
Pay for the Nils/Rink grip and that's a long wait aND a pretty significant increase in cost.
Waiting for the store with the FAS pistols to get back to me. Now if work and family issues would give me more than a few passing moments during the work day Ill call them tomorrow.
- FAS SP607
scerir

Post by scerir »

SlartyBartFast wrote:scerir, is that two different shrouds in the picture? And the little red things? Dry fire plugs?

I emailed IGI/Domino at info@ladomino.com because I found that their website has links to manuals for the various pistols, but the links are broken.

Got back a message that they're on vacation till the 28th.

How I wish I was on vacation still. I would have been out to see these pistols in person and, if one felt right in my hand, would have probably bought one on the spot (spares and all the rest be damned). I simply feel uneasy about buying a pistol over the internet/mail-order. Particularly a used pistol of a type I've never held before. But maybe I just have to take the plunge and risk having to pay the shipping to return it if not satisfied.

To muddy the waters, I've found a Hammerli Xsse ($675) with three magazines for sale. Maybe just do a serious upgrade of my plinker instead of jumping to competition pistols...
1) There was, at that time, a heavy barrel shroud. I bougth it (optional spare part), but it was too heavy for me. Yes, red things are for dry fire.
2) I see, here in Italy very few are still using a 602 (or a 607). The reason could be the shortage of spare parts, maybe. Or the new Chiappa-Fas 6007 maybe (I did not see it either). Or the (worldwide) success of the Pardini SP.
3) When I bought the Igi-Domino SP602, in 1977, my score was around 550 (with the great, little Beretta 76). But with the SP602 for me wasn't so easy to score 550. This means, possibly, that SP602 was not so easy. After many many months I was able to score 560 or perhaps 565. So ... competition pistols sometimes are difficult. (The very very good French magazine 'Cahiers du pistolier et du carabinier' tested the SP602, many years ago, with a detailed analysis of its original unusual trigger mechanism, the so called "3-stage" trigger. Many top shooters asked FAS to make a different (dry) trigger and (?) to provide the pistol with a trigger-stop).
Last edited by scerir on Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

I bought my FAS 602 in 1995 (NOS). I'm still very happy with it, but in cold weather it doesn't like ammo that's on the long side. I've found SK Std Plus to work very well. The serial number is 11890-ish and I know of 2-3 pistols in Norway that are part of the same shipment and have been very good performers.

Some years ago I replaced the hammer spring, bought a new spring from Domino Guns. Lost a few points due to light strikes during Norwegian Championships. Apparently current .22 ammo have slightly harder rims, so the new spring was a bit stiffer. Or so I was told, anyway. No more light strikes after that.

Still my favourite pistol!
scerir

Post by scerir »

Massimo Mencarelli, shooter and designer of the SP602 (and of the very famous rapid fire version, in 22 short)
Attachments
Massimo Mencarelli.jpg
Massimo Mencarelli.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 5433 times
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Have learned that the pistols came from Sweden and the importer knows virtually nothing else about them.
Need to ask SKU by SKU what comes with each, as each is different.
Now trying to arrange to travel out to see them in person.
- FAS SP607
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

So, I went, I saw, I bought.

The SP607 is now mine. Need to wait for the legal transfer and for the pistol to be shipped to me.

The grips are in pristine shape and the only wear on the gun that can be found is a slight wear on the top of the body. Hopefully I've made a good purchase for myself.
- FAS SP607
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Buy the 607 before someone else gets the best pistol of the ten.
Great choice....Australian Standard Pistol record still stands ( 580 ) with a 607.