Any good platforms to build an FT rifle on?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CR2008

Any good platforms to build an FT rifle on?

Post by CR2008 »

Hi all, I am interested in buying a used 10m PCP match rifle and I wanted to know what's the average cost of a used one like a styer lg110? I want to get into bench rest air rifle shooting and field target as well. Thanks
TenMetrePeter

Re: Any good platforms to build an FT rifle on?

Post by TenMetrePeter »

A 10 metre air rifle at about 5 ft lb energy rould need tuning up to more like 12 ft lb to be anywhere near good enough for FT. That may involve new hammer springs or even a new regulator. Factor that cost in.
Why not buy a used FT rifle instead?

see also viewtopic.php?f=7&t=55898
CR2008

Post by CR2008 »

TenMetrePeter wrote:A 10 metre air rifle at about 5 ft lb energy rould need tuning up to more like 12 ft lb to be anywhere near good enough for FT. That may involve new hammer springs or even a new regulator. Factor that cost in.

Ready built ones cost as much as $2500. I just thought it would be a simple thing to jack up the power.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

CR2008 wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:A 10 metre air rifle at about 5 ft lb energy rould need tuning up to more like 12 ft lb to be anywhere near good enough for FT. That may involve new hammer springs or even a new regulator. Factor that cost in.

Ready built ones cost as much as $2500. I just thought it would be a simple thing to jack up the power.
You can always ask Steyr what the difference is . If it's just the hammer spring it's not so bad.
Pricing of 10m match and FT rifles is not so different and I would only consider conversion to FT if I was changing disciplines or if I was gifted a match rifle to convert.

Something like an Air Arms S400 has all the power and an accurate Lothar Walther barrel and adding just a hamster and big sidewheel scope is what makes it for FT.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

Assuming you're a beginner, I'd recommend you buy either a Crosman Marauder and a hand pump or a Air Airms TX200 for field target, depending on whether you want to shoot a PCP or spring gun. Once you start placing in the top ten regularly in matches, you can start thinking about getting a nice $2500 gun. The new Marauder has a built in regulator and should make a good entry level benchest gun, too, especially if you put it in one of the new Boyd stocks.
rualert

Post by rualert »

I tend to agree on the M-Rod or the AA T200, or could also consider the Hammerli AR20 specifically purchased with the FT regulator. Will definitely need a nice quality side wheel scope, and tons of practice learning how to read wind flags at different distances. The M-Rod in a Boyds stock would be a rocking combo, and could most likely be had fo rthe cost of the AR-20 alone leaving a good bit left over for glass.

Just my thoughts, but a regged rifle is almost a definite, I have seen a few un-regulated rifles tuned so well they shot like a regulated rifle, but that would most likely require a chunk of change spent with a good tuner. Another poster noted that it might be a good idea to look for a used FT gun, which would be a proven platform to start with. Also remember Bench Rest requires the same ability to read the wind, and a very accurate rifle. One last note an Olympic quality rifle generally starts a good bit higher than most FT rigs, I recently picked up a used Olympic level rifle for my daughter who is moving into precision, and only wanted to have to buy a rifle once. I found a good deal, but it was a lot more than the AR20, I was considering, and made my M-Rod look cheap in comparison. It shoots right at the 5 ft.lb power level, but it will stack pellets at 10M if you do your art all day long.

Casey
Andre

Post by Andre »

You can already buy a 10m rifle converted to a field target rifle. Feinwerkbau makes a variant of the 800 just for it.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Feinwerk ... Rifle/3475

Mac1 usft rifles are also very popular for FT.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

Look at www.pimpmyairgun.com

They have some great example of FT converted air rifle.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

Some folks converted FWB P70's over to FT power.