Pistol coaching from 4 times Olympian via Skype

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
aspan76

Pistol coaching from 4 times Olympian via Skype

Post by aspan76 »

Good day from Australia. We all know about distant or correspondence kind of education, various online courses and webinars. In modern world it proves to be convenient, fast and productive method of learning things. So, I thought why not to try the same approach in shooting sport.
Over the years of training by myself and with the others, I realised that as much as shooters need to be observed during live training, it is just as important (or even more) that they were told how to think; what not to think; how to plan their training and what to do to ensure that each training made sense. They need someone who would not only explained them how to do things correctly, but also convinced them, encouraged them or pushed them, supported them, made things look easier than they are. And to be able to do all of this, I don’t need to be present at the live training. I also know that many people don’t have an access to the quality coaching or simply don’t have anybody to ask whether they do things correctly or not. Do you agree? So for such people, who speak English or Russian, training with me via SKYPE might be a good option.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Dina Aspandiyarova. I am a shooter with 18 years of international competition experience; 3 times Olympian; Gold, Silver and Bronze medallist of the Commonwealth Games; Asian Games Champion, and current Australian Air Pistol record holder. My personal best in APW event shot on international competitions is 395. For the last 3 years I have worked in Singapore as the National women’s pistol team coach. Some achievements of my shooters were: 1st place at 2014 Commonwealth Games; Gold and Silver individual medals, and 2 Silver team medals at 2015 South-East Asian Games; 2 of my girls were finalists of Asian Championship, one girl won a Rio Olympic 2016 quota place in Sport Pistol; the same girl also won a Bronze medal at Rio de Janiero ISSF World Cup, 2016. I am ISSF category C coaching certificate holder. I lived and trained in 4 countries: Kazakhstan, Russia, Australia and Singapore, and know different methods of training. There is only one paid coach position in Australia, and maybe I should try to find job in another industry, but I feel I could still be helpful in this one.
Do you have a passion for the sport of Shooting? Do you want to achieve your goals in this sport? Have you been in the sport for a while but feel that you are stuck at your current level of results? Do you want to improve your technical, tactical, psychological and specific physical skills? Do you want to learn new practices and get rid of bad shooting habits? If you want to learn how to use your imagination and to find how it might help you, then I’m at your service. The cost is moderate. I know pistol shooters are not shotgunners, we’re always on a budget. The assessment questionnaire and first 30 min introductory obligation free session are free of charge. Students and seniors get discount.
I already have few shooters (aged between 21 and 68) from 5 continents who decided to take a risk and give it a go, and I believe they don’t regret. If you’re interested or know someone who might be, don’t hesitate to message me. Also you can find my page "Freelance Pistol coach - Dina Aspandiyarova" on Facebook.
Last edited by aspan76 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Re: Pistol (ISSF rules) coaching from 3 time Olympian via Sk

Post by Rover »

I find your advice excellent. However, I have found that many people (not just shooters) only want their opinions (techniques) confirmed, not corrected. Hard to fight that.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

So what is the cost of this service?

Dennis in the PRK
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Rover that's the nature of the beast. Majority of people I coach only get slightly better because they don't apply what is being taught: too much work. The ones who apply it make progress. Then you have the shooters who perform well in practice and shoot sub-standard at the matches. She is perfect for teaching how to deal with match pressure and how to properly train. It seems that when you're paying money you pau closer attention ;l)
Good Luck Ma'am. I hope you find some receptive students.
Jon
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Hi. Rover, I agree with you, but so far I was lucky to get shooters who really want to improve and ready to make changes or simply follow my instructions precisely. Somebody faster, somebody slower, but they change their techniques. Jon, thank you for your comments and nice wish :-) And Dennis, I've PMed you.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

A little bit more information :-) How Skype pistol coaching with me works:
At first, I send you my Questionnaire which helps me to assess your level of skills faster. Then we arrange 30 min free Skype session in order to check internet connection and get acquainted. I ask you questions; you ask me... etc.
If you agree to proceed with the course and agree with my fees, you can pay them via PayPal (because there is no commission) and we start working towards your goals…
After this we arrange live Skype sessions upon the necessity, but mostly once a week, at your convenient time. Sometimes we’ll need to talk twice a week, sometimes once in 3 weeks.
What I provide: it doesn’t matter how old you are and how long you’ve been shooting. I have exercises for the shooters of all level ;-) For example, if you’re still a beginner you'll have to work a lot on your steadiness/stamina and endurance. I shall show you which specific exercises improve it.
I'll be giving you detailed training plan - how many min of dry firing, what types of dry firing; how many shots on blank target, real target, etc. Depending on your group I will start to give you small challenges/tasks which will help you to prepare for the bigger challenges such as competitions.
But I'm not only giving you instructions… The first thing we need to do is to find your correct work - the work which ensures that you make a 10. And then we learn how to make it not once but 40-60+ times. To make it happen faster I explain you how to treat each shot, what to think, what not to think, how to focus your mind on correct work, how to find the "key words", how to use your imagination. In other words, I’m not only telling you "what to do", I also tell "why and how". And I’m never tired of emphasising on discipline and repetition  . Because shooting is what? - repetition of one and the same actions with one and the same thoughts.
Our communication is not limited only by live sessions. Between them you send me e-mails with the pictures of your targets and brief description of your work, based on which I give/or not further recommendations.
But I can guarantee the improvement only if you have minimum 3 training sessions (6 hours) per week. The more - the better. If not, then things will go very slow.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask ;-)
John Marchant

Post by John Marchant »

Good luck with your coaching plans and I can see that Skype certainly helps with shooter/coach integration.
I have been coaching my shooters for several years now in other countries purely by e-mail, which sometimes looses some of the effectiveness, as I have to rely purely on the verbal feedback from the shooter.
Whilst I do not have your International experience, which in itself brings a different dimension to the level of coaching available, as far as I know, my shooters are all making very good progress in their own way, given the training time that they are able to make available.
ModestoPete

Post by ModestoPete »

I used to enjoy shooting Free and Air Pistol in the 1980 and 1990s. However, as I have gotten older, my right shoulder has gotten worse from an old injury and am unable to hold the pistol steady enough to shoot good (reasonable) scores any more.

Recently, it was suggested that I try to use my left hand and arm and have been pleasantly suprised by the steadiness I have found. As soon as I get left handed grips I want to contact you to see what you may have to offer for an 'old shooter' to get back into the game.

I am again looking forward to shooting competively again.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Thank you, John, for supportive words. Yes, working via Skype makes some things more "visible" :-) And of course, training time is vital.
ModestoPete, I have PMed you.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Few testimonials from my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Freelance-Pist ... 558209391/ :
Celestine (Singapore): "Dina was my national coach from 2012-2013. She balances kindness and gives tough love when needed. Before her joining, I did well locally but had difficulties shooting my regular scores overseas. Thanks to her methods, she managed to switch my mind set and performed my regular score of 370s at the Granada World Cup.
Dina is an experience coach and teacher! Trust this page"
Michael (USA): "I'm an air pistol shooter in the USA and I can attest - Dina's coaching is 100% genuine and very, very helpful. I have been studying with her since October and have made a lot of progress already. She is extremely patient, kind, and knowledgeable. It's not a magic trick - it takes a lot of hard work, but she can help you advance faster and I definitely recommend her."
Alam (Australia): "Ms.Dina has been coaching me for some time now (on recommendation from my other olympian coach) and I absolutely feel so blessed to be coached by these two extraordinaire people. Ms.Dina has a great approach to train and her method is so beneficial and boost so much positivity and correct procedure. My shooting has improved a lot and it portrays in the targets. She is so kind and always available to talk and I cannot thank her enough for taking me under her wings. I trust ms.Dina 100% and her ability as a coach."
Civon (Australia): "Met Dina in 2007 during a shooting competition in Singapore and kept in touch. I'm very lucky to have her as a coach in person since February 2016, as we now live not too far from each other. I can guarantee she's as real as anyone and has spent her life representing the country (past and present) competing in World Cups and Olympics! I've never shot any scores beyond 380 in Air Pistol or 580 in Sport pistol. But with her guidance my current personal best is 383 and 589 in training. Her training style may be different but That says it all"
Idris (Kenya): "I can vouch that you can't get anybody as genuine as her, she has a very unique approach unlike other coaches and books as she is really passionate about the sport and a very very talented coach I must say"
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

The things I teach:
a) how to find that ONE way of making a perfect shot;
b) how to get rid of TWO personalities inside your brain;
c) THREE ways of how to separate yourself from the distractions of the world;
d) FOUR types of anxiety;
e) FIVE ways how to defeat anxiety (plus one more which is my own invention);
f) SIX+ specific exercises to train stability and how to lock wrist;
and much, much more.
Basically, shooting is easy as a,b,c,d,e,f plus much, much more ;-)
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with Coach Dina. I contacted her in early April and started with her coaching program shortly after. So far, we have had three of the weekly Skype sessions.

Overall, I’m absolutely thrilled to have her help. I’m a lifelong shooting enthusiast but have never had the opportunity to have professional coaching. In the last year, I have been looking for a coach but could not find anyone locally that had the availability to provide regular instruction.

The weekly Skype sessions last about 45 minutes. I think if it went longer (for me) it would be too much information. The video is important because she can demonstrate certain techniques or exercises that would be hard to explain with only audio. I had never used Skype and it works very well. Dina’s English is very good and there is no issue with communication.

Dina’s depth of knowledge is very impressive. She’s not only a world class competitor but also has the experience of coaching Singapore’s National women’s pistol team. Before contacting Dina I did some digging around on Google and found out that her husband, Anatoly Babushkin, has 40 years of coaching experience in the Soviet Union, Kazakhstan, Russia, Australia and Singapore.
Just to be clear, Dina does the coaching and I have never spoken with her husband. But, the point is that the approach and methods that Dina teaches have a long and proven history.

I’ve learned a tremendous amount in the last few weeks. She covers the physical, mental, imagery, process, and more. If I’m doing something wrong she tells me the proper technique and provides the reasons why the new methods will work better. She’s honest and doesn’t sugar coat things but at the same time doesn’t make me feel like the novice that I am.

The cost of Dina’s services, especially after the currency conversion, is very, very reasonable and a great value for her time and knowledge.

I know that I sound like a Dina fan boy…and I am. For the record, I’m 47 and married with two young girls. In my professional life, I provide housing and care services for those with living with dementia. I’ve lived on Oahu for 24 years.

Bottom line, I highly recommend her coaching service. My only regret is that I didn’t start working with her 20 years ago.

Aloha,
David Fitzgerald

aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Thank you very much, David, for nice words and trust!
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Hi. Haven't been here for a while being busy... A quick update: 1 of my skype shooters took 4th and 5th place at his National Championships in Air and Free pistol events respectively; it took 20 sessions in 9 months. With another shooter we started in July last year with 355 in AP and bunch of bad habits, in June this year she shot 375; it took a lot of hard work and determination. Third shooter has just sent me her training targetscan file with 387 on it. Another shooter reported that he won gold and silver medals in overseas competitions... Basically now I can state that my online sessions work and help shooters to improve. Also I've finally got my own licence and pistol, so my training sessions have became more illustrative...
Nevertheless I feel that some shooters expect me to tell them some magic word that will help them to shoot well straight away. And I have this word... even three... They are: practice, practice and practice... From me you get the guidelines on how to improve in most effective ways which eventually save your time and costs on ammo, petrol, etc.. ;-) Enjoy your shots folks!
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Oh, by the way, I became more proficient in Bullseye event, so can teach this one as well
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Just to prove that you are never too old to learn from a professional, I started training with Dina al ost 2 years ago as one of her first Skype students.

We did weekly sessions for quite a few months and she helped me refine my shooting process, as well as unlearning some bad habits. When I started I would be lucky to shoot 270/400. Today I am regularly shooting 365/400 and with continued progress hope to be shooting 380/400 by my 70th birthday in Jan 2018.

I have enjoyed every minute of my coaching experience with Dina and consider it money well spent.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

I'm curious if you've ever considered making a few videos, that might feature the basics, that would apply to most everybody. At least in the beginning.

Perhaps a general guide to common mistakes and their indicators they result in.

I realize that these would be needed to be kept quite vanilla, as everyone is different, but I think, perhaps not accurately, there are many things that could be applied to the majority of shooters. Particularly those shooting in the lower numbers. Like me. :)

I'd really enjoy some training videos that go through the basics such as stance, sight alignment, trigger, etc., etc.

I know there are lots of different things like this out on the intertubes, but not many from a shooter and coach with your skill set and background in coaching.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

And I’m never tired of emphasising on discipline and repetition  . Because shooting is what? - repetition of one and the same actions with one and the same thoughts.
I would like to see some Coaching Videos . Can anyone point me to any on YouTube ?

Where is Chet Skinner ?
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Elmas,

While I would think that the production of some videos might be of "general" assistance to some shooters, how would you propose that these be funded? How would the author be recompensed for his "knowledge" ?

Professional coaching, just like other "advice giving" activities have a sunk cost in terms of acquiring the skills and knowledge to provide the correct advice. I am reminded of the following story.

A large shipbuilding company was having a significant problem getting a large marine diesel to run correctly. Now these are not your average 4 pot, 2 litre motor, but huge monsters the size of a small house. Time is money and the managers were getting desperate. Finally one of the workmen suggested that they might try an old retired diesel mechanic and ask his advice.

It was agreed and he came around to the shipyard. He spent a couple of hours looking things over, and finally he took out a 32 ounce hammer and gave the engine a clout with it. They then started it and it immediately sprang to life and ran like a clock. The managers were ecstatic and told him to send his bill to the accounting office as surely a couple hours of his time could not amount to much.

The accounting office received his invoice and immediately questioned his bill, asking for a detailed invoice. The mechanic was more that happy to provide it. It read as follows:

3 hours diagnostic analysis. $450
1 clout with 32 ounce hammer $12
Knowing where to administer the blow with 32 ounce hammer. $25,000

Postscript: Knowledge has value.
aspan76

Post by aspan76 »

Firstly, dear Pheyden, many thanks for you nice feedback. It was pleasure for me to work with you too. To be honest I prefer to listen to the clever people rather than teach them ;-) But I'm happy that I've helped you. Secondly, I didn't think about videos, because there are many of them on the web, along with literature on basic skills. Here is one of the tutorial videos made by Asian Shooting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL_v4sH ... federation I think youtube will link you to another series. And here is ISSF's course http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/acad ... istol.ashx