What's your high score?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: What's your high score?

Post by Gwhite »

j-team wrote:
Shooterer wrote:My high score has yet to been achieved.
Errr... I think mine were 15-20 years ago, when I cared a bit more than I do now!
575, which won the Massachusetts State Championship in 1983. It's been a long downhill slide since then...

I know a lot more now about how to shoot even better, but the mind, eyes & body are not cooperating. I just started competing again in local matches, and I think 528 is my high so far.

At least there is plenty of room for improvement...
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Funny that at this point no one has offered a score. Well I'll start the ball rolling..."last Wednesday I shot 593 in my basement"[/quote]

I think you're going to win the next ' postal match" for sure . My basement only allows me scores around the low 520's on a good day .
javaduke

Post by javaduke »

My personal best is 565 but I only shot it once and I only broke 560 twice. My average so far is 556 and it's amazing how exponentially harder it gets with every single point added. At Camp Perry this year I was able to shoot only 549 and when I finished I was so exhausted I could barely walk from the firing line to the bleachers...
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Over the past year I've made some progress from averaging in the 530s to now flirting with 560, recently shooting a 563. All practice in my garage. At first trying to keep them all in the black. Now trying to shoot only 9's and 10's and coming to understand how its 90% mental. There's a monthly postal nearby but I'm not doing well attending.

Its been a fun progression and I've learned lots searching this forum. Thanks!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

AP? I think around a 555 was my personal best in a match. The last two years have been hard and discouraging. Not sure if it's my technique, or cataracts.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Thinking how a “perfect shot” is achieved is more important than bragging one’s high scores. One should repeat the same process over and over again until it’s deeply ingrained in our follow through. We must constantly endeavor if we are to succeed.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

my best was 560's. But now a day, 8's are my friends.

Still know all the fundamentals, after 1 hour of "practice", still can get a series of 10's and 9's, which is satisfying.

But truly, 8's are my friends.

Deep down I do have a strong detest for zen like devotion, blah, blah, blah.
BEA

Post by BEA »

I don't think there is any bragging going on here. The title to this thread is self explanatory..."What is your high score?" So...some shooters are posting their high score...no surprises there. I think the purpose of the thread is to open the door to anyone who is interested in the thought processes/training techniques of other shooters. Listing scores perhaps lets others know where someone is in their developmental process. There is no intention here to put anyone down or to make them feel their opinions are less meaningful. We all start at the same place.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

People derive differing levels of satisfaction from this game. For some, high score is important, for others high series is important, and still others remember perfect targets, or personal goals achieved, etc. To each his own.

When at my prime, I held and NRA Master classification in AP, which required a 558 average at a minimum of three officially certified matches (93%). That was my personal goal. I honestly don't remember how many scores were shot to achieve it (558-565 I think)... only that it was achieved.

For me, what I remember most are individual moments when special things happen that are memorable. I can't remember how many 5-shot, 50 series I had, because 50s vary... Most are shots placed that cut the 10-ring for score, but the group can be pretty wide-spread in the process. Whatever works.

But once -- 26 years ago -- there was this memorable moment. Memorable enough to take a picture of it... a "perfect" 5-shot series, all shots within the 10-ring. Done only once, not before or since. Skill involved, but luck, mostly.
Attachments
My-Best-5-26-1991.jpg
Last edited by DFWdude on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

DFWdude wrote:Skill involved, but luck, mostly.
Dude, it’s definitely your skills when you achieved a perfect series of 10’s, there is no luck in precision shooting.

However, in rare occasions where all odds are against one, there maybe a small moment of luck...(an example is when Hoang Xuan of Vietnam, beat Felipe Wu of Brazil
to take the Gold at Rio 2016 Olympic games…) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIluZFS7Oxo

Now if you win the Mega millions lottery, that’s pure luck...
Chris

Post by Chris »

583 was my best at an NRA Sectional or a State Championship over 15 yrs ago with an LP1
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Dude, it’s definitely your skills when you achieved a perfect series of 10’s, there is no luck in precision shooting.

The decimal scoring makes it impossible to shoot 10.8 and not 10.3 The only way to shoot perfect 10.9's consistently is to use a Ransom . Physiology defies extreme accuracy . Skills will get you to the tens ... luck may get you the gold . A bit of uncertainty and luck adds to the drama .
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Elmas wrote:The decimal scoring makes it impossible to shoot 10.8 and not 10.3 The only way to shoot perfect 10.9's consistently is to use a Ransom . Physiology defies extreme accuracy .
The decimal scoring makes it impossible to shoot a 10.8? I’ve seen a few top shooters in a match achieve 10.8’s, not in series. A 10.9 is also possible, but very unlikely.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

kevinweiho wrote:
Elmas wrote:The decimal scoring makes it impossible to shoot 10.8 and not 10.3 The only way to shoot perfect 10.9's consistently is to use a Ransom . Physiology defies extreme accuracy .
The decimal scoring makes it impossible to shoot a 10.8? I’ve seen a few top shooters in a match achieve 10.8’s, not in series. A 10.9 is also possible, but very unlikely.

What I meant was , because our aim is in motion we have no control of where the shot lands , and on many occasions medals are won and lost by decimal points , therefore surely some element of luck is there ? /
gravetpo

Post by gravetpo »

Luck involved, but skill, mostly.
Fixed it for you.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Elmas wrote:What I meant was, because our aim is in motion we have no control of where the shot lands , and on many occasions medals are won and lost by decimal points , therefore surely some element of luck is there ? /
Wrongo! We are never totally still while aiming and releasing the shot, but experienced shooters can call most of their shots.

If you ask me, I’ll trust my skills over luck when I’m competing...
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I stopped competing in 2013 after a couple of injuries made it painful. But before then I managed to shoot 553 three times in competitions. Without any coaching available locally it seemed like was running up against a sort of wall. Never got higher than 553 in practice either. One thing that puzzled me was how it seemed to be common knowledge that competition scores were lower than practice scores, but mine were always the same, from when I started competing in the high 520's until I stopped at 553. Maybe this rule starts applying at higher levels? I shoot HFT now and then with an air rifle. It's fun, easy on the shoulder, and something I can do with my son as he enjoys it too, though he enjoys shooting at cans more than animal-shaped steel tsrgets. He wasn't at all interested in Olympic style air pistol, though he'd come out to matches with me. The Pardini is set up with a night vision rig and gets used for rat control in the garden. That great accuracy and marvelous trigger on the K12 do the trick there just as nicely as on paper.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Elmas wrote:Funny that at this point no one has offered a score. Well I'll start the ball rolling..."last Wednesday I shot 593 in my basement" I think you're going to win the next ' postal match" for sure . My basement only allows me scores around the low 520's on a good day .

I think the NRA National Air Pistol Record was shot this way. A lone shooter at a "match" somewhere back East. (Yeah, I know....)
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

I was consistently shooting Perfect-600's, so I switched to a Glock 42, holding it "GANGSTA'-STYLE" to handicap the match. But then the officials tossed-me out. Something about "Everyone's ears are ringing."
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

seamaster wrote:my best was 560's. But now a day, 8's are my friends.

Still know all the fundamentals, after 1 hour of "practice", still can get a series of 10's and 9's, which is satisfying.

But truly, 8's are my friends.

Deep down I do have a strong detest for zen like devotion, blah, blah, blah.
Not clear what Seamaster means by 'Zen like devotion' , but for those like myself , pure concentration and self discipline are the main attractions to our sport. There may even be a 'masochistic ' pleasure in all this self control to get quality shots .