Pellets sticking in trap

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

massrog

Pellets sticking in trap

Post by massrog »

I have been shooting an AP with sub par velocity for a year (my first one) and finally convinced the CEO to let me spring for a used "KITE" at Perry WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I have only had it for a few days but for me it is a dream come true except that I have a question on it's velocity. I noticed tonight that the pellets are actually "sticking" to the plate in my Gehmann traps. Is this unusual/problematic? Should I turn the gun down or treat the plates with a lube? Thanks.
Roger
Rover

Re: Pellets sticking in trap

Post by Rover »

Switch to a box of rags.
massrog

Post by massrog »

Rover wrote:Switch to a box of rags.
Thanks, seems you think no prob so I'll just throw a dishtowel in each.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

massrog wrote:I have been shooting an AP with sub par velocity for a year (my first one) and finally convinced the CEO to let me spring for a used "KITE" at Perry WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I have only had it for a few days but for me it is a dream come true except that I have a question on it's velocity. I noticed tonight that the pellets are actually "sticking" to the plate in my Gehmann traps. Is this unusual/problematic? Should I turn the gun down or treat the plates with a lube? Thanks.
Roger
I gave an old FWB-65 that'll stick the softer H&N pellets once in awhile in my Gehmann target rear plate. I never really concern myself since I've not noticed it to be an issue

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing richicets now and then. And they're easy enough to pop loose if you want to.
william

Post by william »

What's the big deal? I've been using one that I bought from Don Nygord 20± years ago. I'm pretty sure it's the same item. When the back plate got a little rough pellets started sticking, and then - lead being lead - later shots mold themselves to the ones already there and build up a mound of lead.

When it's time to empty the trap, all I do is pry the pile of lead off with a putty knife and hang it back up.
massrog

Post by massrog »

william wrote:What's the big deal? I've been using one that I bought from Don Nygord 20± years ago. I'm pretty sure it's the same item. When the back plate got a little rough pellets started sticking, and then - lead being lead - later shots mold themselves to the ones already there and build up a mound of lead.

When it's time to empty the trap, all I do is pry the pile of lead off with a putty knife and hang it back up.
Joe58 wrote:
massrog wrote:I have been shooting an AP with sub par velocity for a year (my first one) and finally convinced the CEO to let me spring for a used "KITE" at Perry WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! I have only had it for a few days but for me it is a dream come true except that I have a question on it's velocity. I noticed tonight that the pellets are actually "sticking" to the plate in my Gehmann traps. Is this unusual/problematic? Should I turn the gun down or treat the plates with a lube? Thanks.
Roger
I gave an old FWB-65 that'll stick the softer H&N pellets once in awhile in my Gehmann target rear plate. I never really concern myself since I've not noticed it to be an issue

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're seeing richicets now and then. And they're easy enough to pop loose if you want to.
Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun.
william

Post by william »

"Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun."

No velocity limit in matches. Unless somebody buggered with it you'll find the Kite velocity pretty much in line with other PCPs - somewhere in the low 500s. If you're in Canada, over 499 fps = 149 M/s makes your AP a firearm and subject to some easily managed licensing.

I think Rover, our foremost slayer of bugaboos, would agree:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff.
Misny

Post by Misny »

william wrote:"Thanks for the reply's guys. I was concerned that maybe the gun was turned up too much. Is there a velocity limit in matches? I've been watching my pellets go down range for so long that I didn't know what to expect with a "real" gun."

No velocity limit in matches. Unless somebody buggered with it you'll find the Kite velocity pretty much in line with other PCPs - somewhere in the low 500s. If you're in Canada, over 499 fps = 149 M/s makes your AP a firearm and subject to some easily managed licensing.

I think Rover, our foremost slayer of bugaboos, would agree:
1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's all small stuff.
That's the way I heard it too: "Rover only has small stuff!" 8^)
v76

Post by v76 »

I applied some silicon grease to the steel plate.
No sticking pellets in thousands of shots.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Misny, aren't you the guy with the stained, ratty T-shirt that proudly proclaims, "I Choked Linda Lovelace!"
massrog

Post by massrog »

this went sideways fast....
maybe I'll start the popcorn
Andre

Post by Andre »

Pellets stack in my air rifle targets all he time. Once the pile reaches 1/2" tall or about it either falls off or I just peel if off and throw it in the pile with the other stacks.