Steyr or Morini to buy

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Elmas

Steyr or Morini to buy

Post by Elmas »

Planning to buy a new Air Pistol . Narrowed the choices down to mainly Morini and Steyr , electronic or manual triggers ... and am asking are there other makes to consider like Walther or FWB ?

I know likes are personal and subjective but it would be informative to hear what the experienced shooters on here have to say .

Elmas
sparky

Re: Steyr or Morini to buy

Post by sparky »

I previously owned a Steyr LP1P (similar to LP10, and still capable of winning medals, as proven in Rio 2016). However, I'm very happy with my new Pardini K12. I think the Pardini fits people with smaller hands and/or shorter fingers better than the Steyrs. Morinis are nice if you like the grip and trigger, but if not, don't offer as much adjustment. The new Walthers seem very nice, and feel pretty light (if you prefer that...but it's always easier to add weight than to subtract it).
Rover

Post by Rover »

Buy whatever you can get the lowest price on. Whatever gun you choose, in a month you will wish you had picked something else.

(I DO like the Morini electric, though.)
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:Buy whatever you can get the lowest price on. Whatever gun you choose, in a month you will wish you had picked something else.

This reminded me. Does anybody know what became of Steve Swartz? He was a regular contributor here some years ago, and his enthusiasm for electric triggers was as persistent (and tiresome?) as Rover's SSP cheerleading.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

Rover wrote:Buy whatever you can get the lowest price on. Whatever gun you choose, in a month you will wish you had picked something else.

That's worrisome ! in a month I could l be regretting my choice?... I had better be careful then and look before I leap ! Its not as if I'm one of those people who can afford to buy each new model that comes on the market or wins medals ... I do still like the Tesro ( a Walther clone or very nearly ) made by one of the senior engineers from Walther who decided to set up shop on his own . My Tesro after eleven years and forty thousand plus shots is in need of an overhaul , the internal seals have gone , and the hammer spring needs replacing hence my excuse to go looking for a new pistol while I await the arrival of what Tesro call the PA 10 service kit .
I was seduced some time ago with the thick oversized Morini grips of a friends gun . It fills the hand and feels rather solid and lends confidence and stability ., and am interested to experience electronic triggers , esp the bit about electronic dry fire . Saw it on a Youtube Video ... nice sounding clicks .
Rover

Post by Rover »

You mean I've neglected to tell you how much I love electric triggers?

My infatuation began with the FWB90.

BTW viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49618
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

I have only owned three air pistols but I am in love with my Steyr Evo with electronic trigger. I have had mine for several months now and gone through roughly 5,000 pellets. Every time I hold the Evo it feels great. It is hard to describe, but shooting it "feels like home"; comfortable, the front sight just jumps out at me, it just feels great. I checked velocity and it consistently shoot at 496fps.

That said, literally every higher-end air pistol is many times more accurate than even the best shooters in the world. Everyone I have looked at came with a test target that shows a single hole.

Also I had great advice from Scott Pilkington! Great service as well!

Chip
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I've had a couple of Steyr's and a friend I shoot with regularly allows me to shoot his Morini. I don't care for the Morini at all, and you can read my opinion of Steyr from the quote I wrote, lifted from another thread:

"I just sold my Steyr LP10 to re-buy (boy was I lucky!) the Walther LP400 Carbon I sold. For me, no comparison. The design of the Steyr feels like ancient history, like a Baikal IZH. The Walther is much quieter for backyard shooting, the loading port is easier, faster and a better design, the longer sight radius makes it more accurate, it shoots with a personality, not like a dead brick. It's much lighter and feels better balanced to begin with. All my opinion only. Take a look at the new FWB PX8, and you'll find a lot of what the Walther started for a new generation of air pistols."

There really is only one best way to make a definite decision. That is to buy all the candidates you are considering, spend a good amount of time with each one, then sell the ones that don't make the cut. But honestly it's not that clean-cut because you will find things you like, and hate, about each one. But who knows, you might be that lucky guy that one clearly stands out above the others for you. You also need to know that NO ONE can tell you what to buy. This is something so subjective that you MUST shoot them yourself. So your next best bet to spending thousands of dollars is to find a match somewhere where most if not all the guns will be, then try them out. Initial impressions will weed out half of them. And even if you try one with a horrible grip, grips can be modified easily, so don't count that aspect as high as ones that are impossible to change. All of the guns mentioned so far are first-rate, so you don't have to worry about which one is more accurate, which one has the best trigger etc... they all do. You'll need to see how they feel to you.

Talking from experience, I've owned over a dozen quality air pistols, and I promise you, if I had just bought the top 3-4 I was considering, then lived with them for a while, then kept only the winner, I would have saved thousands of dollars and known for sure why I did it, no regrets, or getting into the revolving door of gun after gun after gun (which of course equals $+$+$+$+$+$.......)

I truly wish you the best, but don't get too antsy, and don't buy too quickly! (While you're at it, watch the movie "The Money Pit", and think of it in terms of air pistols)

Good Luck!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

You also need to know that NO ONE can tell you what to buy. This is something so subjective that you MUST shoot them yourself.
You will find this is the truth of the matter. One of the pistols mentioned will jump up and embrace you screaming "take me!" as was the case with Scrench and the LP400.

My mud map to the starting line would be to consider/try.

Steyr EVO 10
Walther LP400
Morini 162
FWB P8X
Pardini K12
Tesro

Failing that why not put the rebuild kit into your Tesro ?
Rover

Post by Rover »

So all this proves what I said?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Please elaborate on. "what you have said".

Buying "whatever is cheapest" is misleading, and not responsible advice to a new buyer. There is the possibility that I have missed another "pearl of Rover wisdom" lying on the sands of the "Ocean de Kool Aid", so would you please enlighten us as to which of your comments is the relevant one.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

deadeyedick wrote:
You also need to know that NO ONE can tell you what to buy. This is something so subjective that you MUST shoot them yourself.
You will find this is the truth of the matter. One of the pistols mentioned will jump up and embrace you screaming "take me!" as was the case with Scrench and the LP400.

My mud map to the starting line would be to consider/try.

Steyr EVO 10
Walther LP400
Morini 162
FWB P8X
Pardini K12
Tesro

Failing that why not put the rebuild kit into your Tesro ?
That's good advice.. But I have succumbed to the itch to buy another pistol . The TESRO remains a favourite , its very well made and has an excellent trigger , and will certainly get its youthfulness restored. There's just too much enticement out there for me to resist . I just hope I choose something that I will keep liking after ' Rover's month' has come and gone.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

If possible try as many of the short list ( including the new Tesro ) as possible, and I promise that if you purchase the one that has that "special feeling" you will definately not want to sell it in a month or two.

It's an exciting time and the market place is brimming with new pistols....have fun and enjoy !
Rover

Post by Rover »

deadeyedick wrote:Please elaborate on. "what you have said".

Buying "whatever is cheapest" is misleading, and not responsible advice to a new buyer. There is the possibility that I have missed another "pearl of Rover wisdom" lying on the sands of the "Ocean de Kool Aid", so would you please enlighten us as to which of your comments is the relevant one.
What I said was so simple it needs no elaboration. How many times have you seen (on this site) someone buying gun after gun and being dissatisfied with each of them. "Buy the one you like (or feels best)" just does not cut it. A simple trigger adjustment or grip fitting can change their opinion See how many guys are inquiring about Rink grips in the (probably) vain hope that it will give them some magical improvement over the factory grips.

Since the guy does not KNOW what he wants, I think my advice is pretty good. He MAY eventually learn.
william

Post by william »

"See how many guys are inquiring about Rink grips in the (probably) vain hope that it will give them some magical improvement over the factory grips."

Hey, buddy, quit throwing shade on Rink grips. It's a well known fact that they will give magical improvements over factory grips. As well as relief from male pattern baldness, enlarged prostate, erectile dysfunction, moderate to severe plaque psoriasis, acid reflux, tinnitus, vertigo, bladder leakage, and 'pain of headache, neuritis and neuralgia.'

I'm guessing Rover's old enough to remember where that last turn of phrase came from.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Sorry Rover...still doesn't make any sense to me !

The guys owned a Tesro for 11 years and has shot over 40,000 pellets...sound like a newbie to you ? Just seems like a dude that is hankering for a new whiz bang pistol and was asking for a little direction.

In the name of Jesus how is telling him to buy the cheapest deal he can get and suck it up have any sensible relevance to his original request ?

it's easier to, and will more likely have a better outcome by buying something that he likes and then personalising it, as opposed to buying the cheapest deal he can get on any pistol.....and if lucky "he may eventually learn".....

WTF !
Rover

Post by Rover »

You can see I told him what to buy. He doesn't HAVE to, though.

If he just wants a new toy, it doesn't matter what he buys as long as it has farkles.
Chia

Post by Chia »

For anyone who reads this thread in the future, here's the current state of advice.

All modern pistols work. Do you have access to a store that sells them? If so, take the opportunity to feel them in your hand...but take a trigger weight, if you can. I've heard stories about SWEET TRIGGERS being a little too sweet (as in, 450 grams). Second, if you haven't already, talk with your coach who knows you and how you shoot. They'll be able to help with the process. If you don't have one, GET ONE BEFORE YOU BUY A PROFESSIONAL PISTOL. If you can't get one, there are people on the site who sell that service online. Just search and you'll find them.

Beyond that, make sure that you have someone available in your general locality who services the air pistols, and make sure that you have access to someone who knows a thing or two about grips and how to shape them. Not all grips have to come from Rinck, but they DO have to fit your pistol. And your hand. That's a lot harder than those two sentences imply.

That's pretty much it, honestly.
Elmas

Post by Elmas »

[quote="Chia"]For anyone who reads this thread in the future, here's the current state of advice.

" The Future" could be Laser . Laser with electronic triggers. Like the ones currently used in Pentathlon matches.

We are talking now . Comparing the top makes is like comparing apples and oranges. One cannot really say a particular gun is better than another ...
. Isn't this a matter of personal preference ? Or are there consensus guidelines to follow ?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Isn't this a matter of personal preference ? Or are there consensus guidelines to follow ?
The guideline is that all top end pistols will shoot one hole groups. Choose the one that naturally feels more comfortable in your hand...you are immediately one step ahead of someone else that bought brand B based on price that is not as comfortable to them.

Precision shooting is 25% equipment, 50% between the ears and 25% following your coach and practicing obsessively. Having equipment that fits and feels good to begin with gives your sub concious ( between the ears ) a head start over others. Sure you can change sights, trigger, and grips later, but balance is more difficult.

It's not rocket science and if anyone can't see the benefit in starting with the best balanced/feeling ( for you ) pistol and personalising from there I don't have anything to add.

I don't know how many times it has to be said but try the available top brands...trust what your inner self has to say and buy the thing !...get a coach...become a disciple of technique, and practice until you're an old man !

You may never be world no.1 but you will have explored your potential to the limit.