SSP ?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Joe58

Re: SSP ?

Post by Joe58 »

Rover wrote:Probably the top of the line CO2 gun is the Steyr LP1. I've owned Walther CP series guns and Pardini K60s. The last two would be the cheapest CO2 guns you can find, but I just saw a FWB 2 in the classifieds reasonably cheap, but there are newer models out there. Any one of these is capable of winning.
Thank you for the info. From doing some reading on those models, it'd be a less costly way to bump up from a SSP. I would think a tank could be found fairly reasonable. Then find a place to fill it.

Always something more to think about. Also reminded me I need to send my FWB in for rebuild.

Maybe some rich relative I never knew will tip over and leave me a pile of cash. But I won't hold my breath waiting on that one. ;)

Apologies if I sidetracked the OP's thread. I'll be quiet now. :)
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

DFWdude wrote:Bottom line -- and etiquette/safety aside -- the effort needed to rotate the body for every shot, in addition to cocking the pistol itself, then resume a shooting stance, can be physically (and mentally) taxing, taken in total.
True, but with lots of practice and patience, you can train your muscle memory to get used to cocking and resuming the shooting stance. SSP’s are not for the faint-hearted... Just like people who are accustomed to driving automatics all their lives and when they finally get the chance to drive a manual, will they be able to pull it off? Or would it be easier the other way around?
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

As a Coach, it does complicate the stance/grip setup and need for accurate repeatability...but the problem has obviously been overcome by many through technique and training.

It may be more difficult for some new shooters than the more experienced. However when it comes to technique, the "less is more" approach regarding what we have to do holds true.
stuart

Post by stuart »

I do not find it difficult to cock my FWB 100 or Pardini K58 with it pointing down range, some might have a habit of crossing the pistol over the firing range but I have never seen this done.

The competitions I shoot require you to change targets every five shots anyway so you need to change your stance at this point. Also if you try and keep your feet in one position for 60 plus shots the blood in your body will pool in your legs, you do need to move, I sometimes sit after ten shots and clear my head before getting my concentration and focus back on the shooting. I have occasionally sat and lifted my legs onto another chair to help move the blood. During a match your body will tire and the side on stance you start with shifts in very small amounts to less side on as your shoulders and neck take this strain.

If SSP pistols are more difficult to shoot would the PCP pistol shooter be willing to take a five or ten shot handicap so we all shoot on a level playing field????????? please. As I shoot both SSP and PCP to the same level I would be very happy to shoot my SSP pistols in a handicap match. Bring it on!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Joe58, you can get a used full CO2 tank at a welding supply for $60/70. When it's empty, bring it back and they'll give you a full one for $10/12. You may want to get the 10lb size since it's easier to handle. Unless the tank has a siphon, you need to turn it upside down. Keep in mind you're dealing with a liquid, not a gas. You don't need any special adapters and/or manometers as you would with SCUBA.

Most of the commercial CO2 is reclaimed from beer brewing operations, so do your best to keep them in business.

Forget all this crap about weighing, bleeding, cooling etc. Just put your cylinder in the freezer for five minutes then fill it. That's it.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

Joe. I have an FWB c55 very nice co2 pistol. Also watch for a crosman skanaker. Another good co2 pistol.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

For CO2, don't make the mistake of getting a used soft drink carbonation tank. If they ever ran it empty, they can back fill with water. A friend of mine ended up with the world's most expensive water pistol that way.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Scrench

Post by Scrench »

You can also buy rental SCUBA tanks from most dive shops as they continuously update their supply. They are cheap, and constantly inspected and certified so they are safe. Mine was $80.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Aarrgghh! You suckers give me no choice!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21411&hilit=single+stroke+pneumatic
jerber

Post by jerber »

Rover wrote:Aarrgghh! You suckers give me no choice!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21411&hilit=single+stroke+pneumatic
Well Rover...
I know and we all know how you feel about SSP and Springer pistols
And you keep on reminding us that a PCP pistol is not going to shoot better
However the PCP is what it is now AND IT IS HERE TO STAY UNTIL SOMETHING ELSE COMES ALONG
Years from now we will see something new and those of us who swear by the PCP are going to say the same thing you are doing now!
Right now I'm using a FWB 65 but I am looking into a PCP
Probably the Walther lp400
It has nothing to do with been a wimp but more about convenient
Just fill the tank and shoot!!
So lighten up Francis!
Rover

Post by Rover »

You say you drink Bud Light?
jerber

Post by jerber »

Rover wrote:You say you drink Bud Light?
Why?
Is that what you drink?
Rover

Post by Rover »

No, I fill the cans.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Did someone mention Kool Aid ?
kevinweiho