Buying a used PCP pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
old sparky

Buying a used PCP pistol

Post by old sparky »

I am browsing the airgun classifieds looking at pistols. Since I am not knowledgeable concerning various air guns what are important things to consider? or not wanting to throw away money am I better to just look at new pistols.

thanks
Rover

Re: Buying a used PCP pistol

Post by Rover »

Buy used; let the other guy eat the depreciation. Though I own two PCPs (bought one really cheap, was GIVEN another), I would not buy another if I was feeling a pinch. They offer me nothing over a CO2 gun or SSP.

I don't know of any crap PCPs, or rather ones I would not buy. Assuming you bought a piece of junk, it would only cost about $150 to get it perfect. The big "BUT" is new cylinders...SPENDY! Extras not cheap either.

You've read the SSP thread. I think that's the way to go for low cost/low maintenance .

There were three of us at informal AP practice this morning. We all started with a 60 shot SSP match, then switched to PCPs for 60 more shots. No real difference in scores.

But, if you want a PCP new toy....have at!
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Greetings-

we have bought both new, and used, over the years. With new we always got what we paid for and the warranty was there for problems. With used we have been disappointed on several occasions. Be advised that not all sellers will describe the known issues with an item, unless you specifically ask them. For example, we purchased a Morini 162EI short from a person who posted regularly (quantity does not necessarily equal quality) described as in excellent condition. Within a month we had to replace both cylinders, and the electronics. We spent as much as new, on those items alone. In addition, the foam in the original box was so degraded- and eating the box- that the box had to be tossed. We would have been much better off buying new. (Interestingly, the seller of the Morini is friends with another regular seller on TT who also fails to fully describe what they are selling and leaves it up to the buyer to ask all pertinent questions.)

Caveat Emptor!

If you are looking for a reliable, long term investment, purchase new. If you are willing to take a chance on a specific seller, go ahead. Good deals can be had, and there are some great folks selling here. Otherwise, be sure you have the time, money, and experience to deal with the problems others may be passing on to you.

Champions Choice currently has some excellent bargains on new Air Pistols, rivaling used prices, if you are not focused on Steyr or Morini. Besides, Champions Choice stands behind their sales just like Pilkington. You may also want to contact Pilkington to see if they have a used pistol in stock that they will sell you, and back with a warranty period. They often do.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... em=MGH100L

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... em=2777355

Larry's Guns is also currently advertising an AP-40 at a cost that rivals most used pistols-
http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Bran ... _ap40.aspx

Cheers!
m1963
jerber

Post by jerber »

Just be careful!
Buying used can be tricky sometime
I bought a used air rifle FWB 600
Very nice
Everything works just fine but the trigger was adjusted in such a way that it was a single stage
I tried all the adjustment screws and could not figure it out how to get a 2 stages trigger
Apparently the original owner made some adjustments to his/her liking and set a screw all the way in
I finally figured it out and it's back to a 2 stages
I know this is not a deal breaker but just making me wonder what else the original owner did to the rifle?
I also got a used lp65 that I had to do major adjustments
A few years back I got a used air pistol that broke after a couple months
You never know what people do to their pistols
But sometimes you get a real good bargain!

Just remember this...
"Buying something used,is buying somebody else's problem"
Scrench

Post by Scrench »

I don't buy anything from someone unless they are listed on Network54's Board of Inquiry (BOI) with a solid amount of positive recommendations, or unless they are a known quantity (like Buck at Pilk), or a friend of a friend who can vouch for them. In upteen years of fooling with this, I've never had a bad deal. At absolute worst, get a phone number and sit down and have a chat with them for a while until you feel comfortable with them, but liars are pretty slick... caveat emptor.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »