Dot Recommendation for 1st timer

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Xman

Dot Recommendation for 1st timer

Post by Xman »

Well my eyes have finally given up on straight irons for BE. I do use Vargas for AP though. But dont want the hassle of taking them on and off, etc for BE operations.

I have a Browning BuckmarkTrailside with a full length Weaver (?) rail and really cant break the bank on a dot sight. I handled a Trueglo and man it was big AND heavy. Was very low cost on sale about $30.

I definitely want a 30mm model with clicks and brightness adjustments.

I have trolled Ebay and Amazon and well just got more confused.

Suggestions?

I scrolled this forum for info, got good basic info. but still am head scratching.
jerber

Re: Dot Recommendation for 1st timer

Post by jerber »

This is the one I got from champion choice's

Ultra Dot 1" (4 MOA Dot)(11 Dot Setting) Black
Rover

Post by Rover »

A few years back I wandered through Ebay and came up with a price of $25 for a BSA red dot. I bought three and all are still in use. I also bought an Ultradot. It needed to be replaced.
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

One thing you need to decide is if you want adjustable dot sizes. I seem to prefer 2moa dots and I believe the only way to get a Matchdot in 2moa is get the Matchdot 2 with adjustable dots. If you're happy with 4 then go with the standard models.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You should be looking at the target, not the dot. I find dot size unimportant, but like a large one.
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

look at what works for you.. some look at the target some focus on the dot..

the UD is mounted on the vast majority of BE pistols today...they work well for a decent price.

if you like a 2 MOA dot then look at the Holosun 400 series.. very similar to the Aimpont T1 but at a decent price.. they work very well.
mikeyj

Post by mikeyj »

I've used a few cheaper, but good quality dot sights, but the Ultradot has two advantages that make it worth the money: The warranty, and the fact that it is actually adjusted for minimal parallax at 25 yards.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Rover wrote:You should be looking at the target, not the dot. I find dot size unimportant, but like a large one.
Once upon a time, Gil Hebard had Leupold re-reticle (a real word?) some 2X LER scopes for bullseye pistols. He made the dot large enough that, if the dot was kept inside the black, you would be aimed within the ten ring. It certainly worked for him, and apparently Rover as well.

I suppose if the dot was big enough, one that could be kept inside all the white rings might have the same effect.

I find tiny dots are dancing distractions.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey