Drive U nutz pellet test

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

metman

Re: Drive U nutz pellet test

Post by metman »

Try again.
Andre

Post by Andre »

Rover wrote:In all my testing using 25 or 30 shot groups, I NEVER saw a flyer. I saw some tight groups opened by one shot that went out of the group by LESS than a quarter pellet width (a little bulge).

I'm afraid I can't get tooo excited by the possibility (maybe) of a 10.7 over a 10.9.
You never saw a flyer from the cheapest pellets you can find? With all due respect, I call "fake news" or you got lucky. I see flyers from R10's while testing.

You also might want to consider that a tenth of a point every few shots adds up to several points over a match. Matches are commonly won with less than that.

Is it worth that risk for a $5 difference in tins? I dont think so, but its up to you. I have crosman, rws, and the chinese pellets to test. I'd be willing to share my results if you're interested. (From a vise at 10m)
Rover

Post by Rover »

I never said I used the cheapest pellets I could find. I said RWS Basic were the cheapest pellets I used. And yes, we have no flyers.

I suggest that something is wrong with your gun if you're getting shots completely out of the group, since I used four different guns in my tests and 25 or 30 shot groups.

I also suggest that most can't shoot well enough that ANY improvement in their scores will be due to "spendy" pellets, never mind "several points".

I DID recently shoot a 30 shot (total 90) test (published here) using RWS Basic, Meisterkugeln, and R10 (all light). Yes, the group got smaller as the pellets got more spendy, but the difference could be seen with a dial caliper, barely with the naked (gasp) eye.
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

A good rifle shooter can buy 5-10 points with pellet testing. A good pistol shooter probably cant buy any. Its apples and oranges.

I shot rovers favorite pellet today in my daughters new rifle. The 10 shot group was near quarter size. I did wonder if there was something wrong with the gun. But several lots of real match pellets shot fine.

Im a fan of contrast;

With age comes wisdom!

Theres no fool like an old fool!

Chus
Andre

Post by Andre »

A flyer for me isnt out of group, its one that ovals out the hole. My rifle instincts talking!

I need to test anyway because I now have those chinese pellets to test. Ill post my groups.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

I just buy R10 by the sleeve and get on with enjoying my life.
rmca

Post by rmca »

mbradley wrote:I just buy R10 by the sleeve and get on with enjoying my life.
And miss all the fun in testing!!!???
That's not a life worth living... ;)
Rover

Post by Rover »

Mais uma cerveja!
Rover

Post by Rover »

One of my older tests:

viewtopic.php?t=23073
97nick

Post by 97nick »

In my opinion it doesn't matter what pellet you use, what matters is to balance the gun to the pellet. the attached were shot at 20 yards with the gun in a clamp, 10 shot groups.
they are R10 4.50 pistol, pistol was a FWB P44. if I shot in competition with the gun not adjusted to the pellets, my score over 60 shots would be noticeably less.

Power screw set to low:

as screw turned up:

Optimum power for this pellet:
Attachments
10 shot 20 yrd best setting.JPG
10 shot 20 yrd best setting.JPG (28.9 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
10 shot 20 yrd 1 adjust.JPG
10 shot 20 yrd 1 adjust.JPG (27.8 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
10 shot 20 yrd.JPG
10 shot 20 yrd.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think there may be much to what you say.

I admit I have not pursued the "ultimate accuracy" by trying velocity variation to any degree.

I HAVE had many rave at me over the wonderfulness of their spendy pellets without ever having tested them.

On one pellet test, I reshot it with the velocity increased and got an across the board improvement in accuracy. On another occasion I received a new batch of pellets that tested VERY poorly. I cranked up the velocity and was rewarded with exceptional groups. I'm using the last tin of those and only in the test gun.

My testing these days consists of testing a new batch (10,000) to see if it's OK and go no further.

https://i.imgur.com/eAMSope.png