mec swap

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

GeraldC

mec swap

Post by GeraldC »

Is anyone using one of these for using left eye and right hand rifle ?The offset sights are too fiddly for different distances.
Attachments
mecswap.jpg
mecswap.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 4606 times
TenMetrePeter

Re: mec swap

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I am also going to need one of these and would like to hear from anyone using one on a Centra Pro 57 or similar design sight base.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I saw this style offset today for the first time. (might be old news)

https://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?detail=1015
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Shooterer wrote:I saw this style offset today for the first time. (might be old news)

https://www.euroshooting.eu/en/index.php?detail=1015
The MEC swap is not so affected by cant as that simple front and rear bracket offset. The MEC with its prisms looks down the normal front and rear sights. Only the iris moves to the left.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

TenMetrePeter wrote:The MEC swap is not so affected by cant as that simple front and rear bracket offset. The MEC with its prisms looks down the normal front and rear sights. Only the iris moves to the left.
Peter, if you're canting to get your head behind the sights, which is the usual reason to cant, periscope sights may allow you to have the gun upright.
Piefou

Post by Piefou »

If you're competing, check if it's allowed by your rules.

In ISSF, it's not yet clear if multiple mirrors (like the swap) are allowed as part of the rear sight. The new rules allow only one "external glass system". Better ask first to the range officers.
FWB P700 Alu & JSB S100 pellets // Annie 1913 Precise & Eley Sport bullets
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Piefou wrote:If you're competing, check if it's allowed by your rules.

In ISSF, it's not yet clear if multiple mirrors (like the swap) are allowed as part of the rear sight. The new rules allow only one "external glass system". Better ask first to the range officers.
I believe that periscope sights have been permitted previously. Besides, mirrors are not lenses.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

yes they are permittes Rule 7.4.1.6 allows any prism or mirror device to swap eyes so long as no magnification is provided. it must be used as intended to swap eyes eg left eye from right shoulder.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

Tim S wrote:
TenMetrePeter wrote:The MEC swap is not so affected by cant as that simple front and rear bracket offset. The MEC with its prisms looks down the normal front and rear sights. Only the iris moves to the left.
Peter, if you're canting to get your head behind the sights, which is the usual reason to cant, periscope sights may allow you to have the gun upright.
Possibly not in my case. This device shifts 65mm but my IPD is 67mm so 2mm extra cant may be required! But I take your point it can give a more comfortable position.
Modena

Post by Modena »

A person at our club has recently started to use a MEC swap, and someone else is getting one also I believe. I haven't used it, but the feedback from those users is that you need to be DIRECTLY and perfectly straight behind the Iris or you dont get a sight picture, or something like that. So it's not like a normal setup where you can be off to one side by a fraction and still have a sight picture, granted in that case you are introducing inaccuracy, but you get the idea.
GeraldC

Post by GeraldC »

Thanks for the replies.I only realised how bad my right eye had got when testing a left hand rifle.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

GeraldC wrote:Thanks for the replies.I only realised how bad my right eye had got when testing a left hand rifle.
Same here. MEC Swap £230. Cararact op £2000 and it may not be the problem anyway. When the black merges into the white on the card decisions have to be made.

EDIT. Its an epiretinal membrane (cellophane eye) which is not really operable til sight is obscured completely due to risks.
Last edited by TenMetrePeter on Wed May 24, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

Does anyone in the US sell this item? Does it adjust width wise? Not everyone has identical eye spacing.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

hipwr223 wrote:Does anyone in the US sell this item? Does it adjust width wise? Not everyone has identical eye spacing.
This UK supplier will ship to USA for £20 on top of £230 price.

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Si ... ement.html

Fixed at 65mm IPD. most people between 60 and 70 but there's a lot of flexibility by canting . youre only looking thru one side!
Modena

Post by Modena »

hipwr223 wrote: Not everyone has identical eye spacing.
It doesn't adjust width wise and I don't think it needs to. Not everyone has the same cheek/jaw/eye geometry either, this is what your cheek piece adjustment is for. It will also cater for the eye width variation - adjust your cheekpiece to get your non-cheekpiece behind the MEC swap.
efoleyjr

Post by efoleyjr »

hipwr223 wrote:Does anyone in the US sell this item? Does it adjust width wise? Not everyone has identical eye spacing.
PM sent

Ed
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to buy one of these from another forum member and my first time on the range with it showed much promise. In fact I think this device is going to get me back on iron sights competitively.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

https://oberleenterprises.com/product/mec-swap-comfort/

On sale in Ohio

Edit:
Nothing to see here, move along.... Peter corrected me below (unless your eyes are really close together)
Last edited by Shooterer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

That one is to allow the rifle to be held vertically lower. the one for right to left eye swap is bigger.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

in my opinion, these are great ! am right handed, right eye going bad (for shooting), left eye dominant, 75 years old.... am shooting with this and scores have increased substantially. it simply screws into your rear sight so all your position settings remain the same. there may be a used one for sale on this website. regards using the left eye after years of using right eye.... took about three or four shots to feel comfortable.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...