Front Sight Picture or Trigger Management

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
apron

Front Sight Picture or Trigger Management

Post by apron »

Lately , I have come across this subject : at the below 6 aiming zone - the last seconds before the release , one should put his full focus at the front sight - (some shooters have been exclaiming FRONT SIGHT ONLY , FRONT SIGHT ONLY) , or put his full focus on the trigger execution - (these shooters are claiming that regardless your statue-form sight picture , bad trigger execution ruins all). I understand that these 2 are inter-related , but at this last impact moment , as we also aware that our mind cannot manage 2 things at the same time , which should come first ? Appreciate your valuable inputs.
Spencer

Re: Front Sight Picture or Trigger Management

Post by Spencer »

IMHO

Practicing a perfect trigger release 10000 times (i.e. LOTS of dry fire) and keeping up training of the trigger release should make it automatic - leading to the 'unconscious' release of the trigger...

...which then leaves the FRONT SIGHT! Focus on, and at the front sight.

(I should practice what I preach)
Rune Kanstad

Post by Rune Kanstad »

Yes, practice to the extent that you automate the trigger release, and focus on the front sight. Although I can understand that people are tempted to concentrate on the trigger release. After all, jerking the trigger will cost you a lot more points than an incorrect sighting technique will.
Houngan

Post by Houngan »

Start the trigger, THEN attention on sight. And I'd argue that your FOCUS is on the front sight but your ATTENTION is on the entire sight picture of the rear and front. Front sight crisp AND perfectly in the rear sight. I was talking with a friend recently and he was asking for any tips, my main one is to make the entire point of the exercise to successfully activate the trigger without the sights moving at all. That's a perfect shot, regardless of where the pellet lands.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

Spencer wrote:IMHO

Practicing a perfect trigger release 10000 times (i.e. LOTS of dry fire) and keeping up training of the trigger release should make it automatic - leading to the 'unconscious' release of the trigger...

...which then leaves the FRONT SIGHT! Focus on, and at the front sight.

(I should practice what I preach)
I kinda concur with Spencer, from my personal experience, hundreds and thousands of shots along with dry firing will allow your sub and unconsciousness to take over. You’ll automatically know where to align the front and rear sights with the sub-six o'clock aiming area.

Your hold should be steady and consistent, then trigger control and release is crucial in achieving good scores.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Both. I quite strongly think good trigger management is linked to confidence in sight picture and hold.
Image Image
Coolmeester

Post by Coolmeester »

Sights. You won't hit 10 if your sights aren't in perfect alignment. Maybe sometimes if lucky but you can't be lucky 60 times in a row.
Center-fire pistol
Standard pistol
Rapid fire pistol
Free pistol
Air pistol
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

With the right lens, the front sight will be sharp without needing conscious effort to see it.

For a pistol with iron sights, you generally want a lens that is +0.75 diopters stronger than any distance prescription you use.

Art
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

We all have dictionaries, don't we? There are certainly a few on the interwebbie thing that hosts this forum.

Look up the definitions of the word release . You'll find something like a lessening of force or containment. "Setting free" if you will. Even "releasing" a recording or movie is setting it loose to the general public.

What happens when we lessen force on the trigger? The gun won't go bang (or pop, or sproing).

Releasing the trigger = aborting the shot.
We must squeeze or press or mash or pull the trigger to fire the gun, not release it.

The shot may well be released when the projectile escapes from the barrel, but not if you release the trigger.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

nglitz wrote:We all have dictionaries, don't we? There are certainly a few on the interwebbie thing that hosts this forum.

Look up the definitions of the word release . You'll find something like a lessening of force or containment. "Setting free" if you will. Even "releasing" a recording or movie is setting it loose to the general public.

What happens when we lessen force on the trigger? The gun won't go bang (or pop, or sproing).

We must squeeze or press or mash or pull the trigger to fire the gun, not release it.

The shot may well be released when the projectile escapes from the barrel, but not if you release the trigger.
Jeez, don’t take it so literally. For newbies there might be some confusion, the term “trigger release” is equal to “sear release” it’s a no-brainer.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I did similar to what was mentioned.
First I concentrated on my trigger with LOTS of dry fire practice, to get a smooth release that I do not have to think about.
Then I concentrated on the sight picture and holding it.

1 - I put the sight on the target then start the trigger pull.
2 - Then I CONCENTRATE on holding the sight picture, until the gun fires.
But the shot has to release within 6 seconds on putting the sight on target, or I abort.

If I feel that I know when the trigger is going to release, that means I am not CONCENTRATING on the sight picture.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Often, feeling you need to abort after some number of seconds is exactly because your eye muscle is straining to hold the sight picture. Adding a lens shifts your focal point so your eye muscle does not need to strain. If you get your lens power right, your eye muscle is making zero effort to get a sight picture, and you can stare all day without it fading.
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

SS,
In my case, my wobble starts to increase.
So I have to get the shot off before my wobble increases.
I found that true for both my AP and AR shooting.
ShootingSight

Post by ShootingSight »

Wobble I can't help with ..... other than recommending a particular brand of vodka ....
Art Neergaard
ShootingSight LLC
www.shootingsight.com
info@shootingsight.com
513-702-4879
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

If you get your lens power right, your eye muscle is making zero effort to get a sight picture, and you can stare all day without it fading.
The Troxler Effect kicks in after about 20 seconds, sooner if using the non dominant eye as I do.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwo ... oxler.html
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I have talked to a lot of high-level shooters about this, and I'd say 80-90% have their conscious focus (attention) on the front sight.

A small minority (myself included) put conscious focus (attention) on squeezing the trigger. When I am moving the trigger, the sights take care of themselves. I'm talking about when I am shooting at my best (e.g., mid-580s AP, 590s CFP, 580s STD, and 590s RFP pre-2005).

You will have to find what works for you. For most, it's conscious focus (attention) on the front sight. For a small minority, it's conscious focus (attention) on trigger.

Of course, that may be why I topped out where I did, but my career was what it was and I stand behind it.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

nglitz wrote:We all have dictionaries, don't we? There are certainly a few on the interwebbie thing that hosts this forum.

I'm with you, Norm. I don't "release" or even "press" the f**king thing, I "squeeze" or "mash" it, depending on the event.

When I "release" it is when I also "call" the shot: "DEAR GOD! COME BACK!"