Storing Pistols with Air Cylinders

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ihasagun

Storing Pistols with Air Cylinders

Post by ihasagun »

If stored for a few weeks or even months, should the cylinders be discharged or left charged? Should the pistol be stored with a cylinder installed? Mine is a Steyr LP10 if that makes a difference. Thanks.
ASA

Re: Storing Pistols with Air Cylinders

Post by ASA »

I last used my LP10 in late 2014 and then had a break for archery until April this year. The charged cylinder stayed in place.
No change was observed.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've heard of some recommending this. I just don't bother...no problems (two PCPs). They lay in the box while I'm shooting my "Extra Special Whiz-Bang" SSP.
bigaaron

Post by bigaaron »

I remember reading this a while back

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=54122
The eighth post into this is a link from Chia to this message from Pilkguns

I believe there is a little mix up in information here. To cover it all,
1: cylinders can be left full , empty or nearly empty, doesn't really matter
2: The cylinders should be removed from the gun when not in use or ideally unscrewd enough to allow the air to bleed back out of the regulator. The cylinder should be unscrewed to take the pressure off the regulator, as the pressure is what kills both the internal o-rings and the belleview washers inside the reg over time. The less amount of time you ahve pressure in the reg, the longer that part will function before needing a rebuild.
3:Always totally unscrew the cylinder before trying to screw it back in, otherwise you run a very probable risk of pinching the o-ring and causing it to fail prematurely.
4:Wheterh you leave the cylinders on the gun, or off the gun, expect to have to make 3 or 4 cycles of air through the system (shooting with no pellet) before the reg is functiong properly, akin to warming up your car engine. The rubber can stick in either the pressureized or non-pressurized condition and needs a few cycles to function smoothly again.

Thus endeth this epistle.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

I've had an LP-10 since 2001, I think. Steyr-Mannlicher model, before they put gauges on cylinders. Never unscrewed the cylinder. Never had a problem.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I suspect the issue varies considerably with the internal design & materials used in the regulators. I know the Belleville springs used in the Benelli Kite are plain steel, and can rust over time if the pistol is shot with moist air. I would expect that others may use stainless steel springs. I'm guessing the biggest issue is the seals. Stored under pressure for a long period of time, they can deform and either leak or not slide the way they should.

As an example, the team I help coach has a bunch of Tau-7's, which only run at CO2 pressures. The bulk fill adapters we use have an O-ring valve seal inside. If the pistols are stored under pressure, the O-ring slowly mashes until it closes off the path for the gas along the square sides of the valve stem, and you can't fill them any more.

We are switching to slightly smaller, harder O-rings to see if we can extend the service interval.