SSP vs. CO2

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
snaproll717

SSP vs. CO2

Post by snaproll717 »

Need some input from the guys that know. I am past 75 and have restarted shooting AP and Bullsye after35+ years of Olympic skeet and bunker trap. Had to stop shooting shotgun due to a major injury to my shoulder. I started out AP with a Daisy 747 and almost immediatly went to a LH Baikal MP 46-M, which I dearly love. Have been shooting the Baikal for the winter (club matches), and have reached my highest level of 488/600. What is happening now, is that during practice sessions (60 shots) the first 40 shots are not a problem, however for the last 20 shots the Baikal seems to get real front heavy and much more difficult to lift and hold steady. I was recently introduced to a Older AP (Walther CPM-1) that was for sale. The Walther fits me like a glove, and the balance (IMOP) + being much lighter seems to work for me, at least for the last 20 shots. The Walther with a full cylinder weighs 1080g. and the Baikal weighs 1192g. Does 110g make that much of a difference? I understand that I would have to buy additional equipment (charging cylinder), but that is not a problem. The Walther needs major work on both cylinders and the pistol need new seals. My question is: Is it worth the hassel and cost in changing over to the Walther, or just grin and bear it with the Baikal? Thanks to all............
william

Re: SSP vs. CO2

Post by william »

Don't grin and bear it. 100+ grams at the end of a cantilever the better part of a yard long is a BIG difference especially over the course of a 60-shot match. Take it from a long-time sufferer (tennis elbow years ago, rotator cuff these days): Lighter (and shorter) is the way to go.

Depending on your budget and patience, there are plenty of choices in both CO2 - you have to go used - and compressed air. Pardini (Kid) and FWB (P11) both offer wicked lightweight pistols, and all the major makers have shortened versions of their mainline APs. That's the only thing keeping me in the game today.
v76

Post by v76 »

Co2 Walthers are a good choice.They have great grips and balance, unlike the Baikal. If the Walther is the better deal will depend on the price and work needed: new cylinders are expensive.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I have tendonitis.
I have a Pardini K58 and charging the SSP pistol got to be a problem for my arm.
So I switched to a Walther CPM-1 and have almost not regretted it. The Pardini has a smaller grip that fits me better than the larger Walther grip. The Italians must have smaller hands than the Germans.

As William said, with air pistol, there is such a thing as "too heavy."

So if you are having problems shooting the MP-46, SWITCH.
Rover

Post by Rover »

More 16 ounce curls will quickly whip you into shape.

I don't believe four ounces less gun weight will make much difference in your scores. If you're handy, you can easily lose that much from the gun, though.

I usually take a long rest after about forty shots. If anything my scores may go up after that.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote:More 16 ounce curls will quickly whip you into shape.

I don't believe four ounces less gun weight will make much difference in your scores. If you're handy, you can easily lose that much from the gun, though.

I usually take a long rest after about forty shots. If anything my scores may go up after that.
As only a man with healthy shoulders can claim. I can't speak for the OP's injury, but coming from damage that prevented me from reaching the back of my head I can tell you you're dead wrong. I recently tried out a friend's full-length MGH-1, and even with the short cylinder the weight gave me serious pain after very few shots. Back to my short K10 and 60 shots + sighters barely makes it to he level of minor discomfort.

Stick to your guns, Rog, but don't tell us walking wounded that it doesn't hurt too much. Just 'cause it doesn't hurt you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I think I'll just start posting my famed "Born to Suffer" t-shirts for sale in the Classified.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

I tend to agree with the OP. I started much the same way. Daisy 747, way TOO heavy. Then got the IZH. Great pistol loved shooting it. But noticed it tended to be a bit front heavy after shooting while. Got the opportunity for a FWB Model 2. Wow, what a difference. So much more fun to shoot. There really isn't much extra needed with going to CO2. The pistol should come with the fill adapter. Just get a small 5 or 10 lb tank, and it will last quite a while. The good part about the small tank, it is easy to invert to get liquid into the cylinders. The seller sold the tank almost full with the gun, so I didn't have to get one on my own. Oh, I guess I did buy a small scale to weigh the cylinders post fill just to make sure I didn't over fill.

Good luck finding a CO2 gun, but the IZH shouldn't be too hard to sell to get the $ to buy the new gun.

Awesome choice, go for it. I don't think you will regret it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

bam86 wrote:Good luck finding a CO2 gun, but the IZH shouldn't be too hard to sell to get the $ to buy the new gun.
I've got two Pardini K60's listed on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum, in case anyone is interested.
jaxontarget

Post by jaxontarget »

My Steyr LP2 is about 900grams, full size (310-335mm adjustable sight), great trigger. You can shave off some further weight if you prefer the compact version. I also have a 46M and the difference in weight, feel and shooting experience over the course of 60-120 shots is very different. 300grams makes for a significant difference over time.
Rover

Post by Rover »

RE: K60....here is one of my older pellet tests.

viewtopic.php?t=23073