Need Input from Walther SSP Owners

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
SixtyLion

Re: Need Input from Walther SSP Owners

Post by SixtyLion »

Thank you guys for your posts!!! I am glad to hear that recently produced Walther pistols are working better!!! I am a little concerned about the grip because I have somewhat large palms and long fingers. One more thing that I want to ask, what lubricants do you guys on your Walther SSP, does Walther specify any particular brands to use on SSP?
Once again thank you guys for your help!
Heddok

Post by Heddok »

There's very few moving parts in an SSP. Slide, striker, recoil rod and striker rod and their respective springs. That's it other than the trigger group. So not a lube sensitive pistol. I use Anshutz ceramacote just because I use it on all my guns but you can use anything at all.

Walther recommends "special grease" for the recoil and striker rods. Nobody knows what this is, there was a thread on it 6 months back. It appears to be silicon grease and the idea is that it wont harm the two O-rings on the pnuematic control system. I use silicon grease from a scuba shop but it's the same stuff as Silicon Dielectric grease that's sold in electrical supply shops and marine stores at a far lower price.

Like I said 1 malfunction in a case of ammo, I don't see lube as an issue.

Shoot the gun and enjoy it.
SixtyLion

Post by SixtyLion »

Thank you guys for all your help, I greatly appreciate it!
kyh

Post by kyh »

I have the SSP mechanical and GSP expert. I like both. SSP is light compare to GSP. I bought mine from Earl's at http://www.carlwalther.com. He told me the first version of the ssp was poorly designed. He told me he ended up redesigned the gun/trigger/feed and sent it back to Walther. Since than, it had fixed all the problem. I bought mine in late 2015, no problem with the pistol at all. I replaced my SSP with rink grip with upsweept palm rest, it fit like a glove. The only thing I don't like is the trigger blade, it is not adjustable. So I made a part for the pistol, now I can attached after market trigger to it. See picture, it is tec-hro touch soft. I am happy with it.
Attachments
20170420_221759_resized_2.jpg
20170420_221715_resized_2.jpg
SixtyLion

Post by SixtyLion »

Hello kyh,
Appreciate your input and pictures!!! Funny that you mentioned Earl's, I am actually planning to get my gun from him. If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with Earl's, does he have SSP pistols in-stock or you have to wait for shipment from Germany, any discounts, how much did you pay for shipping, how "fresh" was your gun (production date)?? Thank you!
kyh

Post by kyh »

He has ssp in stock when I ordered it. But that was in 2015. You can call and asked him. I forgot how much I paid for shipping. It was insured to my FFL dealer. I am in California, so there is extra paper work he had to do to sent it out here. Talk to one of his associate once, Earl's is in his 70's. Very knowledgeable, got tons of spare parts for walther guns. He try to sale me the SSP-E. But I was afraid of the electronic and needed to replace li-ion battery in the future. Not sure how much longer he will be running the store. If you ordered lots of stuffs from him at once, he might give you small discount. I got extra magazines, dry firing plug, extra firing pin, springs, scope mount etc.

I also bought GSP expert form him. I broke the fire pin from dry fired, also messed up the trigger setting. Sent it back to him, he was able to replace the extra fire pin that I had, readjusted the trigger without charged me the labor and shipping cost. So he stand behind the products. But some of the parts might be cheaper if you ordered it from Germany (http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shooting/Home), it you don't mind the wait. Don't tell him that. I have ordered it from them multiple times (just not the actual firearm). They have more selections on accessory. I have ordered extra barrel weight, damping weight, tec-hro fanatic stock from them. They have staff that can communicated in English. They were also able to order part directly from Anschutz that were not available in the state. So if you know what you want, have part number, they can contacted the manufacture directly. You also don't pay the VAT. Just one shipping cost base on the total amount you buy from them (all insured). According to the stamp code, mine ssp was manufacture in 2014. Hope the information is helpful.
SixtyLion

Post by SixtyLion »

Kyh,

Thank you for such prompt and helpful response!! I will definitely save all links that you gave me.