Frt sight focus issue or slow speed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Xman

Frt sight focus issue or slow speed

Post by Xman »

For the last couple of practices when shooting my Izzy 46, I have noticed a few times that I could actually see the pellet going downrange to the target. The shot is not wild/low or anything.

Might I be focusing on/off/beyond the front sight improperly or might I be having some fps speed issues?

I changed the seal last year and have maybe a few thousand shots with it. I keep the AP lubed.

I changed the seal because I got a phone call after cocking and loading, and after the 2 minute call when I went to fire, all it did was go click.
siordian1

Re: Frt sight focus issue or slow speed

Post by siordian1 »

You are looking at the target. Happens to me too. Your shot may still be OK. But you don't want that to happen too much.
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

Interesting. I typically only see the pellet if I'm concentrating really hard on the front sight. If I stray out to the target, nada.

On a side note, I shoot with a guy (master bullseye shooter, national recordS) who says he watches the target in air pistol. Claims that he can see and read the numbers on the paper targets. He relies on his grip to maintain sight alignment. When the front sight appears in the right place on the target he pulls the trigger. And wins matches. I showed him our one SIUS target (a demonstrator) that's just a hole in a white sheet of paper. He was lost. Said he'd have to start over if these were at a match.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

At least in small bore, you can see the projectile when the sun or bright light is behind you and a bit low.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

I use a Gehmann iris when I shoot irons, it helps me see the front sight very clearly.

I also put a small white dot of white out, centered, on the top edge of the front sight. That helps me concentrate on that point.

If you shoot .22 pistol, Terrell Rifle and Pistol Club has a bullseye pistol match this Sunday. Starts at 9am.
http://pistolmatches.com/event/terrell- ... 017-04-23/