Steel pins all over the grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Kifsif

Steel pins all over the grip

Post by Kifsif »

I suppose I need an absolutely slip resistant grip.

Now I'm thinking of a pieces of steel wire pinned into the grip and protruding from it.
Say, let the diameter of the wire be 0.7 mm. Each piece will be inserted to a depth of 5 mm into the grip and will protrude for 0.5 mm over the surface. Maybe not a needle sharp but really scratchy pieces of wire. With the distance between them, say, 5 mm.
And such pins are supposed be everywhere against fleshy parts of the palm.

Maybe not even pieces of wire. But just screws without heads. Long and thin ones. Screw it up, then cut the head.

Do you think it to be a bad idea?
hundert

Re: Steel pins all over the grip

Post by hundert »

The surface noes not matter, the shape of the grip does. The paste that the athletes put on their grips kinda feels slippery, but if the shape is right and you have the finger grooves in the right shape (especially the vertical lines, around which your fingers hook), the the grip won't slip off your hand, even if you try.

In some conditions, I believe it's when it's cold and dry, no surface will hold your palm, but the shape of the grip will. And if you have a competition that day... the extra nervousness will break the last connection that you have with your grip.

I took a new, unmodified grip to a competition, a grip which worked very well in training, because of the good surface and it would then slip out of my hand in competition, a very frustrating experience, because

So, go for the shape, if you have problems holding the gun. I know Rink sells this paste, but it's very expensive, so use substitutes, maybe others will help. I use water soluble CLOU paste. It's however slow drying and you need weeks for one grip, but, the paste can be removed without a trace, so you don't ruin your grip.

Don't do the needle thing
Last edited by hundert on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

Sure, why not?
Image Image
David M

Post by David M »

Too difficult, if it is a hardwood grip, use a good stippling surface with a linseed oil
finish and you will have a slip proof surface.
Kifsif

Post by Kifsif »

David M wrote:Too difficult, if it is a hardwood grip, use a good stippling surface with a linseed oil
finish and you will have a slip proof surface.
What is difficult? Screwing a handful of screws and cutting their heads off?

We are training for years. Isn't it difficult? And if such modification to the grip is reasonable, I can afford an hour of hand work.
Chia

Post by Chia »

Pinhead from hellraiser comes to mind. I don't imagine that being a comfortable surface to grip. While comfort isn't #1 in consideration that uh...no thanks.
Kifsif

Post by Kifsif »

Chia wrote:Pinhead from hellraiser comes to mind. I don't imagine that being a comfortable surface to grip. While comfort isn't #1 in consideration that uh...no thanks.
I don't mind. The question is not about comfort.

The question is: can it improve the results?
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Greetings-

In my mind this question lacks sufficient reference to provide exact advice.

What pistol are you shooting, in what type of competition? A CMP hardball gun with 20 lpi checkiering can be very punishing by the end of a match. After shooting pistols with both 20 lpi and 30 lpi checkering for years, I can definitevely say that there is not much difference between the grip, other than the punishment one experiences. Both will move in your hand, though.

Alternatively, you could see if G10 grips are available for your pistol. Very aggressive, painful even depending on the application (N-frame revolvers). But then I suppose they do look, 'cool.' The grip is 'sticky.'

https://vzgrips.com

If all you need is 'grip' might I suggest the cheapest route? Stickum spray from my old American football days. If it does not work, nothing will:

https://www.muellersportsmed.com/sticku ... spray.html

Cheers!
m1963
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Well, I have to say this...

Never mind. deleted...

:)
D.R. badge #99
Kifsif

Post by Kifsif »

m1963 wrote:Greetings-
What pistol are you shooting, in what type of competition?
m1963

Pardon for that.

It's air pistol for 10 meter shooting (ISSF).
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

I'd recommend a light coat of either fine sand, or if you want something a little grippier, aluminum oxide grains, embedded in either a coat of latex paint, or for a little less tack, urethane. Both of those will give you enough grip they will take skin off. The latex paint will stick to your hands something fierce as well.

-Jenrick
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Or you could just use resin powder.....or would that be too simple ?
Kifsif

Post by Kifsif »

deadeyedick wrote:Or you could just use resin powder.....or would that be too simple ?
You mean rOsin powder? Do shooters use rosin powder?

I've never heard. And maybe the powder may get into the mechanism, and into the barrel. Your palms will be in the powder. You take a pellet with dusted fingers and insert into the barrel.
Kifsif

Post by Kifsif »

jenrick wrote:I'd recommend a light coat of either fine sand, or if you want something a little grippier, aluminum oxide grains, embedded in either a coat of latex paint, or for a little less tack, urethane. Both of those will give you enough grip they will take skin off. The latex paint will stick to your hands something fierce as well.

-Jenrick
Could you give me a couple of links to read more about it?

Aluminium oxide is cancer inducing.

If a grain of sand drops off, it will occur in the case most probably. And from there it occurs in the mechanism. I'm a bit skeptical.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

deadeyedick wrote:
Or you could just use resin powder.....or would that be too simple ?

You mean rOsin powder? Do shooters use rosin powder?

I've never heard. And maybe the powder may get into the mechanism, and into the barrel. Your palms will be in the powder. You take a pellet with dusted fingers and insert into the barrel.
Yes I mean rosin powder. Spell check meant resin.

You may not have heard of rosin powder in the past however here is a link to enlightenment.

https://www.tenniswarehouse.com.au/rosin-bag.html

It is used in many sports where a better grip is required, and no it will not make its way into your barrel or any other orifice.

The powder can be applied to the palm and your bullett/pellet fingers will remain clean.

Reading about inserting steel pins all over the grip made me fall off my chair laughing !

If you would rather completely cover your grip with an anti slip coating you only have to call the Walther importers and order a tin of pro touch paint.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go for the pins; you're obviously one of those who are born to suffer.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

hundert wrote:The surface noes not matter, the shape of the grip does. The paste that the athletes put on their grips kinda feels slippery, but if the shape is right and you have the finger grooves in the right shape (especially the vertical lines, around which your fingers hook), the the grip won't slip off your hand, even if you try.
+1

Going back to the days when I was competing internationally I saw that, providing the grip fitted perfectly, licking the palm of your hand before taking hold actually improved the grip (suction?). It was a common practice.

That was shooting CFP and StP, but it's something I still do today with AP.

As for using steel pins, I wonder who suggested that they would be a good idea to the OP.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

^ This is the correct answer. The grip should be shaped right that it will work when almost smooth.
Some light stippling can help a little. If you need more then you need to reshape your grip.
DFWdude

Post by DFWdude »

Kifsif wrote:Now I'm thinking of a pieces of steel wire pinned into the grip and protruding from it.

Do you think it to be a bad idea?
More like a masochistic idea to me. Don't do it.

Work on your grip as others have wisely said, and develop a bit more muscle tension in the fingers.
jmdavis

Post by jmdavis »

If you had a steel frame and no finger grooves, I would reccomend Clark Tiger Tooth Stippling. You will grip the pistol with it. But in the above case, you can stipple the grip, add grit to the grip or use rosin on your gripping hand.