Anschutz bolt problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JPK

Anschutz bolt problems

Post by JPK »

I have a new 1903 that I am having bolt operation problems. I realize that a new bolt operation is expected to be hard or a little stiff since it is new. However I think this is more than that. After a round is fired it is really hard to lift the bolt up to pull back. Any suggestion on how to correct this? We have tried multiple match grade ammunition as well with same result.
dc.fireman

Re: Anschutz bolt problems

Post by dc.fireman »

Is the bolt hard to lift prior to firing? Or only right after?
JPK

Post by JPK »

Being new I would say a normal stiffness then once fired very hard
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

The 1903 (and other Match 64s) cocks as you open the bolt, so you are working against the spring. The spring needs to drive the firing pin hard enough that cartridges go bang consistently, so weakening that isn't an option. Instead look at lubricating the bolt. At the back end there is a cam where the handle turns the coking piece (the very end part) back into the cocked position. A tiny smear of grease will help make the bolt open smoother.

The bolt is also designed so the front moves back a fraction as it rotates. This is called primary extraction and helps to loosen the case from the chamber; the turning motion applies more leverage than just pulling back. So keeping the chamber clean helps, as the brass isn't worked so much.
mbradley

Post by mbradley »

Also check the torque and setting of the action in the rifle. Loosen the take down screws, gently shift the action a little bit, and then re tighten the screws, but not as tight as they just were. If the action cycles properly now, you know what the issue was.